Overfilled adblue in E-Class - does it matter?

Caporegime
Bought two large containers of adblue from Amazon and have just wacked one into my car (E Class if it affects the answer).

The instructions say keep pouring until it stops, and not to overfill, but towards the end of the container it suddenly started spewing out from somewhere underneath the vehicle?!

I wiped the drips from the filling area and off the paint using cleaner / detailing spray, however my question is - why does it matter if I overfilled it?

Seems like something did its job and started depositing the excess onto the driveway. And presumably all over the underside of the vehicle...

I turned the ignition on and it correctly registered a full tank of adblue, with no warning messages about it being overfilled.

Do I need to be concerned about anything or take any action?

Soldato
It's just for your own safety (30% Urea solution if I remember correctly, not exactly the worst, I know..) and to stop you from damaging the car. As long as you've washed it off yourself and anywhere it has spilled on, you're fine. :)

Caporegime
It's funny, everything I read about adblue is just a ****-up. It seems like it's just been tagged on as an after thought and not had any intelligent reasoning applied to it. JLR for example won't tell my boss how much his car requires. He HAS to take it to them and the car doesn't apparently tell you whether it's full, needs a top-up or whatever. It's just go to JLR every x months and they'll put some in.
You'd think a merc would have a decent system to show you it's full before it pees all over the place potentially damaging the car or harming you.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
At what level or duration of exposure?

From a getting it on your hands point of view for short term exposure it is a non issue, i.e. a user filling up his car once of twice a year.

Toxicological information

Eyes - No significant health hazards identified.

Skin - No significant health hazards identified.

Inhalation - No significant health hazards identified.

Ingestion - Ingestion of large quantities may cause nausea and diarrhoea

Acute toxicity - Unlikely to cause more than transient stinging or redness if accidental eye contact occurs. Unlikely to cause harm to the skin on brief or occasional contact but prolonged or repeated exposure may lead to dermatitis. Unlikely to cause harm if accidentally swallowed in small doses, though larger quantities may cause nausea and diarrhoea. At normal ambient temperatures this product will be unlikely to present an inhalation hazard because of its low volatility. May be harmful by inhalation if exposure to vapour, mists or fumes resulting from thermal decomposition products occurs.

Caporegime
At what level or duration of exposure?

From a getting it on your hands point of view for short term exposure it is a non issue, i.e. a user filling up his car once of twice a year.

Toxicological information

Eyes - No significant health hazards identified.

Skin - No significant health hazards identified.

Inhalation - No significant health hazards identified.

Ingestion - Ingestion of large quantities may cause nausea and diarrhoea

Acute toxicity - Unlikely to cause more than transient stinging or redness if accidental eye contact occurs. Unlikely to cause harm to the skin on brief or occasional contact but prolonged or repeated exposure may lead to dermatitis. Unlikely to cause harm if accidentally swallowed in small doses, though larger quantities may cause nausea and diarrhoea. At normal ambient temperatures this product will be unlikely to present an inhalation hazard because of its low volatility. May be harmful by inhalation if exposure to vapour, mists or fumes resulting from thermal decomposition products occurs.

You're confusing toxicity with it being generally harmful. 2 very different things.

Sheet that works - http://www.chemplus.co.uk/AdBlueMSDS.htm

Soldato
O e thing I love about our vivaros you can easily brim the adblu out the pump with no faff

Need adblu just borrow a truck bay

Diesel pump adblu pump and your done

Fyi adblu from the.pump is half the price of buying it in containers

Caporegime
You're confusing toxicity with it being generally harmful. 2 very different things.

Sheet that works - http://www.chemplus.co.uk/AdBlueMSDS.htm

Inhalation of a toxic gas or chemical exposure to skin, be it for fatality or damage everything is exposure based, they have done studies with UREA cream and even with it being rubbed on people for extended durations, limited amounts developed any skin dryness, you would need an underlying skin condition for spilling some Adblue on yourself for a short term to be an issue.

I was surprised when i picked up my first adblue tank about 6 months ago, i was expecting warnings to be all over the label, in actuality it has nothing.

Soldato
It's like the acid and alkali solutions you get at school. You fear that they'll melt your hands but in reality do nothing. Seriously, just throw this in like you would petrol (which is far worse for you..) and away you go.

Yours, a chemist. :p ;)

Back
Top Bottom