Overlooked for promotion

Soldato
I've found that it's easier to move up the chain of command when moving from company to company, making "baby" steps as you go. Not only that, pay increases are normally substantial.

That's my move, anyway. That's not to say I've not been promoted in each of the companies I've worked for - I have in almost every one - but they've seldom come easily nor what I had envisioned. I normally move on a year after such a promotion.

My history:
  • Company 1: Retail - no progress
  • Company 2: Accounts assistant > Accounts team leader
  • Company 3: Project accountant > Management accountant
  • Company 4: Assistant financial accountant > Financial accountant

I had an interview last year for a Finance Manager and got the job, however Company 4 convinced me to stay (promotion to title and payrise).

The above makes it look like it was easy to move into the other jobs at each of the companies, but Company 2 and 3 often didn't promote me (I applied and had interviews for three jobs internally for each of those companies). If anything, it made my desire to move up and on stronger, and the move more sweeter. Don't take it personally, dust yourself off, focus on yourself and crack on. It's just business.

Soldato
You haven't been overlooked for a promotion, there was a role, 2 people applied for that role, and objectively one person gave a (perhaps slightly) better interview.

Soldato
I can offer some insight, I think what the company may have looked at it is also how good you are at your current role, I expect you are very good given you was covering a higher role, and they probably decided they valued at keeping you in that role more than putting you in the other role, so yes been too good at your job can stop you been promoted.

I can almost mirror your experience and within a year of it happening to me I also left my employer.
In my case I walked out during a shift (not a very clever idea), and that on its own is instant dismissal, but funny enough they were calling me for several days trying to get me to come back to work even tho I did gross misconduct, they clearly valued me at my existing role, but they refused to give me a promotion for me to come back so I stood my ground and looked for a new employer.

Back
Top Bottom