1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packet loss sky fttc

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by techmob, Feb 16, 2020.

1. techmob

Gangster

Hi people
    Generally it is not noticed when streaming or browsing the internet but when gaming this is a different story.
    I have one day left until my cooling period ends with sky, which I am going to phone them tomorrow and ask them to put a flag on the account so I don’t pay early cancellation charges due to the issues I have, if they don’t go for that I will leave in my cooling off period which will cause a cease on my line which means I cannot order any service until 14 days have passed which is when the cease date is. Obviously this will cause me without service until the new provider is in place, thus why I am trying to get them not to cease the line and then I put a migration through to another provider (considering Zen) and then hopefully not pay any early cancellation fees (if they agree)

to summarise.
    I have swapped out two different sky hubs,
    I have disconnected the rest of the network
    I have put in a modem, and linked that to an asus rt66n with Merlin firmware

I have setup ping plotter which was setup to ping multiple sources such as bbc, google, local network devices
    All local network devices responded fine
    Some of the external addresses would have request time out every so often but they all didn’t coincide with each other, which tells me it is not local to my network and more of a router issue on the sky network
    More so that the trace route would show that it was losing packets on the sky network further upstream from me.

obviously discussing with sky I am told there is limited things they can do.

What I am trying to figure out....
    Could I experience the same issue with another provider such a zen, would they have better control over dealing with such issues that sky as they were limited and as long as the speed was there and service up there was nothing they can do where I think it was a routing or network congestion issue.

with the tracerts showing packet loss on the sky network, I am hoping that moving provider will avoid that.

anyone experience something similar?
    I can’t handle this for another 18 months...

2. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

Been with Zen since 2008, another ISP would have to pay ME a monthly subscription to change.

.......even then it would depend on how much.

3. techmob

Gangster

I use Zen in work on corporate account.
    I opted for zen as sky agreed to wave any cancellation fees

4. VaderDSL

Capodecina

Do you have FTTP in your area? I've been more than pleased with FTTP from Zen.

5. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

I have FTTC with Zen, we only got upgraded to fibre 5 years ago from ADSL, which, considering a I live in a rural area I'm not complaining about, we jumped from about 6mbps to 70ish, the connection is really good, stable works as fast as it does on a Sunday evening as 4am on a Tuesday morning.

I originally switched to Zen in 2008 from beunlimited, and then prior demon internet. Prior to that BT and I have never payed BT (directly anyway) another penny since and that was 56k modem days.

We used the internet a lot, so got a second phone line in, and then connection went one day, I called them and they did disconnected it for "unattended use" even though we had an unlimited package, was paying them line rental (not to mention installation) for a whole second phone line.

BT are ******* tossers.

6. techmob

Gangster

Not available here without going lease line route.
    I have lease lines through work at multiple sites with Zen.

unfortunately I only get about 30mbits, but really need reliable latency and jitter which is what I am not getting with sky
    Of course my line may also be getting saturated by the kids streaming and what not, so have applied a bit of QOS to see if that helps
    But at best my ping with sky is 27ms but generally it’s low 30s with the odd spike and at times packet loss

7. Swifty55

Soldato

Post your router stats and ping paths/tracert.

8. Screeeech

Mobster

Unlikely to be Sky, they have one of the best IP networks in the country, as far as ISPs go.

It's far, far more likely to be an Openreach issue with the line, or something with the line itself - if Millions of people use Sky, if their network was congested - they'd know about and probably fix it.

Could a pain in the butt to solve though, unfortunately.

Post your line stats, and your traceroutes, and the times when it's bad.

9. AndrewB

Associate

It is completely possible that this issue is with the BT phone line. Around 1.5 years ago I was having major issues with my Vodafone fttc broadband in terms of dropping out and unstable speeds, and the phone line was "noisy" during phone calls too. I had a look at the master socket and the wires were all mangled. I ended up calling Vodafone about the issue, and the next day someone from Openreach came round and replaced the outisde cable to the junction box and master socket, and I've not had an issue with unstable internet since.