1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting Fresh Plaster - Help a noob

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by Nitefly, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Saytan

Mobster

did you put the radiator back on quite quickly and then use it? force-drying is not good for paint

2. JBuk

Capodecina

remove the rad, lightly sand the flaky paint off, re prime area then re paint when dry, don’t warm radiator until paint is fully dry

3. JBuk

Capodecina

I started priming my walls with watered down cheap emulsion but then paid extra for fresh plaster emulsion , when I say extra it was a few quid if that. It’s taken the hassle out of getting the consistency right and the extra time messing about. If you’ve paid thousands to re skim/plaster your house then why quibble over a few extra quid on paint :/

4. 200sols

Mobster

This is the key surely, your buying cheap rubbish. I mean mixing some paint with the correct amount of water isnt hard, but if you start with a poor quality product you will get a poor finish.

5. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Thanks all for the advice. Seems to be a consensus that basic emulsion (not the cheapest) will do the job. I’ll let you know what I get and how it goes! :)

6. JBuk

Capodecina

Cheap doesn’t necessarily mean rubbish, I just personally found the extra step in diluting it a waste of my time when I could buy it premixed for just a couple of quid more

7. JBuk

Capodecina

you’ve spent money getting the walls plastered, will spend money on your finishing paint and other things, why bother diluting anything when there’s paint already premixed for the job at hardly any extra cost just to save a £1 or 2

8. rhysduck

Soldato

What are you buying that is only £1 or £2 more expensive? It's considerably more expensive from what I've seen!

9. Saytan

Mobster

10. JBuk

Capodecina

Figure of speech, but last time I bought some I didn’t find it much more expensive ,considering I’d just paid quite a few thousand to have the house fully replastered , it didn’t make sense to start worrying about saving on a few litres of paint

11. Nitefly

Man of Honour

12. Saytan

Mobster

13. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Thanks - yeah product info said it could be thinned no more than 10% but the q&a responses are more specific and more helpful - cheers buddy :)

14. rexehuk

Mobster

Surprised no one mentioned Dulux Supermatt. The coverage on that was amazing. If your paint was flaking off from decorating I can almost guarantee that the plaster was too smooth.