Painting my walls soon - Matt Over Silk

Associate
Well, being the house decorator, i might be able to help :D

First off it is hard to tell how bad the bubbles are in that pic, but if you're going to roll the walls, you'll end up getting a rollered effect anyway, so you might not notice them? But if you're that worried about them, then give the walls a wee sand down.

no need for mist coats, you're not painting over bare plaster, 2 good coats of any matt paint should do.

Soldato
OP
Well, being the house decorator, i might be able to help :D

First off it is hard to tell how bad the bubbles are in that pic, but if you're going to roll the walls, you'll end up getting a rollered effect anyway, so you might not notice them? But if you're that worried about them, then give the walls a wee sand down.

no need for mist coats, you're not painting over bare plaster, 2 good coats of any matt paint should do.

What matt straight over silk?

Soldato
OP
If the "bubbles" you are talking about are the texture to the paint, did you use a roller and a non-stir paint? My ma did that on a door - looks bloody awful in gloss.:eek:
Use a roller and normal paint, otherwise it doesn't really have a chance to "flow" smooth.

Yes used a roller
Def stirred the paint

I used good quality dulux pain as well

Associate
Just use a roller and do two coats, i think your worrying over nothing.

My walls are the same, its the roller which creates that effect ( maybe try using a shorter pile roller ).

Caporegime
You needed to do a mist coat on the fresh plaster of a watered down emulsion. Your issue is that the plaster has sucked in the moisture from the paint. This causes the paint to dry too quickly and the displaced air then causes bubbles under the paint as it comes to the surface.

Sand the wall with P120 iron oxide paper then reprint and it should be fine. Sanding is to provide a key for new paint and also flatten bubbles.

Use a short fibre roller to minimise the texture effect too

Soldato
OP
I felt the need to come back on here and report the results with a few pictures.

The colour I had before was natural mist - a very sky blue sort of colour
this time it is natural wicker. I spent about £22 for 5 litres of, invested in a new roller £6 and picked up some sanding paper - very fine.

I decided not to give the ceiling a go as it was bit tight on time.

I also gave Dulux a call and they said the same thing as you lot did.

I sanded the walls down taking the shine off of the walls (silk paint) and then sugar soaped the walls
painted and it looks like this now:

IMG_6486_zps89720a98.jpg

IMG_6484_zps0d07d6a5.jpg

Put in some beige carpet and I got a new room:

IMG_6494_zps50432f16.jpg

I don't like the varnish but the rest of the house is like this.

The finish on the walls is exceptional not like before! No complaints now :)

Next I need to get

1. Beads for the cupboard

2. Blinds custom Venetian blinds any ideas?

Soldato
This thread has reminded me I need to finish the painting I started :o

Okay for me to hijack this thread slightly so I don't need to create another.
I sanded down a door and then painted it with that Silk stuff and it looked great at the time but now it has dried I can see runs/patches in it. I used a brush to do it, should I go over it again with a roller and will that eliminate that problem?

I also matt emulsioned my skirting boards, well some of them in 1 room as I dislike the really high sheen of a gloss paint but was told that this will just dirty and mark a lot more. Do I need to sand this down a bit before painting over the top with the same Silk paint?

Thanks people!

Caporegime
Sand the skirting for a key for new paint. You can get Matt oil based paint which won't shine but will be hard wearing.

For the door frame sand the runs out and try again with less paint !

Associate
Rip the skirting off and replace it with something decent (5 or 6 inch ogee), replace sockets on display with something smart, transforms a room

Back
Top Bottom