• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Palit sonic 580 GTX recalled.

Associate
87c is nothing for these. 480's went well into the high 90s. 87 is a luxury.

IRC the gtx480 thermal limit was meant to be like 105C, for the gtx580 its meant to be 95C.

Its not even summer and im cracking 89C in a cool room.

Crysis now crashing out after 5 mins. Card it hot & totally unstable since i put it in 3 hours ago.

Caporegime
IRC the gtx480 thermal limit was meant to be like 105C, for the gtx580 its meant to be 95C.

Its not even summer and im cracking 89C in a cool room.

Crysis now crashing out after 5 mins. Card it hot & totally unstable since i put it in 3 hours ago.

It probably won't run as hot at reference levels, there's a reason NVidia set them at 770mhz I'm sure they know better than Palit. :p

You do need good case airflow for these cards though.

Associate
It probably won't run as hot at reference levels, there's a reason NVidia set them at 770mhz.

You do need good case airflow for these cards though.

My rooms as cool as it has been since beginning of year i.e. last winter. My cpu is water cooled & idling mid 30s. I have been running 5850 (heavily overclocked) & 5850 crossfire (highly clocked but not as high due to voltage issue with crossfire) during summer heat.

Im now sat at my desk in a cool room which is uncomfortable to be sat in almost as its that cool. My cosmos s has 4 high performance intake fans & 4 high performance exhaust fans. Its idling 33C!!!!! Thats cooler than any reviewer i have seen. Trust me, its getting the cool air, but the card just cant cope when stressed.

Its just very disappointing spending £400+ on a gpu which is just not fit for its purpose. I may just try reference clocks though for testing purposes, but that is not what i bought. You don't buy a 1.8 litre car & then discover it can only perform as good as a 1.6 litre car.

Soldato
Why strip a brand new £450 card, and void the warranty you have paid for, when its clearly some kind of manufacturing issue.

Associate
BTW just wanted to say I am having exactly the same issues as others. I am starting to suspect there is a fault with the fan controller as the fans dont seem to speed up much under load. Performance is also subpar to say the least which also screams of heating issues. I have tried all the usual tricks but nothing has worked so far and pretty much any game crashes out (including wow dx11) after a min or so.

RE: missing product page:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...423+palit+580+sonic&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk is the page thanks to google cache but if you go to the url now you get an error so it did exist and they have pulled it.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to test more this weekend. But going to call company I bought from to advise situation. What temps u seeing zerohour? What fan according to afterburner is speeding up, if a little slow, but still ridiclous temps

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
this has been confirmed

if anybody has any issues or wishes to discuss the matter then you can contact our support line or send us a webnote.

we only had a few so it is not a huge problem for us, obviously any customers affected should let us know ASAP

Associate
this has been confirmed

if anybody has any issues or wishes to discuss the matter then you can contact our support line or send us a webnote.

we only had a few so it is not a huge problem for us, obviously any customers affected should let us know ASAP

Thanks for confirming this, sadly and stupidly I didnt buy from you guys (never will I make that mistake again!) so I will see about getting a refund and then order another from yourselves.
Are Palit saying to issue replacements or refunds?

Soldato
this has been confirmed

So is it a blanket recall ? did you get details of the problem ?

Associate
Makes me thankful I opted for the regular Palit 580 and not the Sonic.

Not had any issues so far ^_^

Feel my pimp back hand across your face :p I wish I had it that simple.
It was so bizarre with the sonic, moving my mouse around the w7 desktop highlighting icons had lag issues. Basically if you move the mouse with any sort of speed the highlight effect wouldnt work on the icons until you stopped on one.

Soldato
im assuming this will mean us standard palit card users will not be able to OC?

Thats a good point, but im sure the reason why the OC Palit cards have failed is because the voltages have not been changed for the speed of the OCs.

Or the standard default Voltage is slightly under what it should be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom