Parcelforce clearance fee - help!

Soldato
I ordered an item from the US a few weeks ago, costing around £30. I knew that this would be subject to import duty.

I've just received an invoice from Parcelforce saying that they are holding my item until I pay the Import VAT (£8.48). This is fine.

However, they also want me to pay a 'Clearance Fee' at £13.50. This means that I'm paying for more than 2/3 of the item cost in fees, which is ludicrous.

I was never informed of this Clearance Fee charge before or during purchase. What is the legality of this? A quick google seems to suggest that it can be contested.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Soldato
Good luck trying to contest it. They will just laugh at you and refuse to release it, or do what they did to me, and charged it anyway despite me telling them they could not (over the phone). A complaint resolved nothing.

It is illegal for them to hold your mail to ransom, but the government says its perfectly acceptable.

Soldato
Didn't we cover this in another thread that is it against the law for them to withhold a parcel just because of import duty? I'm probably wrong on that........

Dont the other couriers just pay it and you pay them back? Parcel Force are one of the worst by far

Permabanned
they paid the duty for you and they pass on their "admin" cost onto you, there is no getting out of it, pay it or don't buy stuff abroad

Man of Honour
That's the impression I'm getting, but I'm dubious about a £13.50 charge on a £30 item, especially one that I was not made aware of, nor consented to.

Why is the cost of the item relevant? The costs incurred by the courier are the same whether its 30 quid or 300 quid?

Suspended
[TW]Fox;21184026 said:
Why is the cost of the item relevant? The costs incurred by the courier are the same whether its 30 quid or 300 quid?

there is no costs to them its all pure profit parcelforce have a reputation for encouraging customs to inspect the packets...

they also seem to be the courier which incurs the most customs inspections so im guessing true

Associate
I have this currently from from another courier too.

£3 duty and a £10 "admin" fee. The letters to date have been filed in the bin. I have my parcel... what can they do really.

Back
Top Bottom