Parcelforce clearance fee - help!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21187563 said:
This again? Seriously?

A courier is not covered by the Postal Services Act!

They dont need to use a loophole because it's perfectly legal, as has been explained MULTIPLE times in this thread before you decided to dispense your legal advice, wrongly.

It wasn't really legal advice, I just quoted an act and thought it might apply, but I did say there must be some reason it didn't affect them. And now I know why! :)

I still think it's an unfair charge though, as postal fees have already been paid. There's also profiteering involved, because I can't see how takes £13 to clear a parcel. I would like to hear someone who has knowledge about these things explain the proceedings.

Last edited:
Caporegime
People do not understand how VAT works. I have my own small business, and people ask me to buy them things, and say so I can get it cheaper without the VAT. You still have to pay the VAT man!

Not if you're registered for VAT you don't. If you're registered for VAT you could get something for £10 instead of £12 for example, but the problem is that's VAT fraud :D.

Man of Honour
I still think it's an unfair charge though, as postal fees have already been paid. There's also profiteering involved, because I can't see how takes £13 to clear a parcel. I would like to hear someone who has knowledge about these things explain the proceedings.

ARGH.... Postal fees are not import clearance fees!

If I pay Thomson holidays to take me to Turkey, I still have to pay £10 to the Turkish government to enter the country. This is no different, goods from outside the EU coming into the EU will generally have to have import duty and VAT paid on them. This clearance process costs money, which is what Parcelforce are charging you.

Be thankful you don't live in Turkey and have to hire the services of a broker every time someone sends you a parcel from outside the country.

Soldato
Ok, so just to clarify, there is an actual physical cost other than wages for a guy filling in a form involved here? Like I say, I admit to not knowing much about the process.

Associate
It wasn't really legal advice, I just quoted an act and thought it might apply, but I did say there must be some reason it didn't affect them. And now I know why! :)

Copied from my previous post :

I work in the industry and unfortunately if you order anything from overseas this is something you have to consider. While most people would argue that they have paid postage what they do not realise is that amount of postage they paid is simply not enough. It doesn't take into consideration that the parcel can be stopped at customs and all the other costs that come along with that.

If your parcel had not have been stopped by customs your postage would have covered it and it would have been directly delivered to you. Parcelforce has no say in what is stopped and what gets through. If it doesn't get through it does not come through the standard network and parcelforce have to cover the additional costs of having a whole operation at customs.

Sometimes your lucky and could get a ps3 through without having to pay a penny Not often though.

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Who delivers it in that case AzZ?

I'm sure it would still be delivered by whoever it was orginally going to be delivered by, just that in this case one step has been removed from the process and therefore there isn't any additional handling, so a charge would not be necessary.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21187932 said:
Which law?

Im sure there used to be something that said that the delievery company could not withold a parcel due to xxxxxx.

Well whatever it was there was a loophole where you could request to pay the customs fee and then "pay the "courier fee later on."

All I know is that now that loophole is no moar.

Law was the wrong word to use, unless there was a law then there is. I don't know the ins and outs but the above is all OP needs to know.

Man of Honour
Im sure there used to be something that said that the delievery company could not withold a parcel due to xxxxxx.

Well whatever it was there was a loophole where you could request to pay the customs fee and then "pay the "courier fee later on."

All I know is that now that loophole is no moar.

Law was the wrong word to use, unless there was a law then there is. I don't know the ins and outs but the above is all OP needs to know.

Pretty sure this is the Postal Services Act again - which applies to Royal Mail (Well, the revised version has changed things, but the 2000 one did what you say) but not to courier companies.

Back
Top Bottom