Parking commercial vehicles on a residential street

Associate
A chap up the road runs some kind of coach hire business and about 6 months ago he took the decision to stop renting somewhere to park his coaches. This means that at some points he parks 2 full size coaches, 3 half sized coaches and a London bus on our street.

This causes problems with parking on the street and quite often he blocks driveways with them. I came across him the other day getting out of one of them and he was unrepentant and plans to keep doing it.

Is it legal to do this and run a commercial operation like this from a standard 3 bed semi on a suburban road?

Pretty sure that cars, vans and motorcycles are about the only thing can be parked overnight on the street.

He is breaking the terms of his operating licence. His PSV Operators licence means he must have designated and off road Parking (this is called The Operating Centre) This site must have planning permission to be used as an Operating Centre. He is almost certainly also in breach of the financial terms of his Operators Licence, as he must ensure and prove he can suitably maintain and finance the terms of his Licence for the duration of the term.

Your two options are reporting this to your local council, alternative and more appropriately you should inform The Traffic Commissioners Office.

(I used to hold a PSV Operators licence and was the Operations a Director for a large public transport company)

He is breaking the terms of his operating licence. His PSV Operators licence means he must have designated and off road Parking (this is called The Operating Centre) This site must have planning permission to be used as an Operating Centre. He is almost certainly also in breach of the financial terms of his Operators Licence, as he must ensure and prove he can suitably maintain and finance the terms of his Licence for the duration of the term.

Your two options are reporting this to your local council, alternative and more appropriately you should inform The Traffic Commissioners Office.

(I used to hold a PSV Operators licence and was the Operations a Director for a large public transport company)

Pretty much this, Just the other day I saw a planning permission notice for a place to be used to park 2 buses.

Thanks everyone, I'll make some calls on Monday about it. Its a bit frustrating to be woken up at 4.30 on a Saturday morning when all his drivers turned up and got underway.

The son of an ex neighbour across the road would do this with his plant hire lorries. Used to cause havoc for people wanting to park outside their house so we just started parking on the road where he wanted to so he had no where to park.

While certain classes of Commercial Vehicles might not fall under an Operators Licence dictating where they can park overnight you could always go the route of making sure he's got permission from his Landlord/Mortgage Holder, Planning Office and Local Council and paying the Business Rates if he's running a business from home, he'll also be accountable to the HSE who would no doubt be interested if any of the Vehicles might pose a risk to the Public in the manner to which they are parked causing obstructions etc..

Thanks everyone, I'll make some calls on Monday about it. Its a bit frustrating to be woken up at 4.30 on a Saturday morning when all his drivers turned up and got underway.

It would be such a shame if all the residents had to park on the street so close that they could not get the coaches out.

EDIT: Alternatively just spaced out sufficiently that there is room for cars in the gaps but not coaches.

Last edited:
I would suggest against that. Whilst the person you're talking about is committing an operators licence offence, it's not illegal as such. Blocking peoples vehicles in parking is the same as obstructing their access to the highway and is a road traffic offence.

Man sounds like a complete tool. As above, report him to the council etc.
Indeed!

Interesting and relieving to hear that their are restrictions / rules in place though. A guy on the next road up from mine has 3 very long wheel base vans and also parks them on the street. I would not want to be one his neighbours, they literally block the light from the front of the houses as well as taking up any available street parking.

Even if it was legal he'd still be a massive tool for doing it, while people get a bit silly about parking in front of their house etcetc dumping a bunch of coaches on a residential street is dodgy as...

I'd follow Castiel's advice re who to report this to.

Indeed!

Interesting and relieving to hear that their are restrictions / rules in place though. A guy on the next road up from mine has 3 very long wheel base vans and also parks them on the street. I would not want to be one his neighbours, they literally block the light from the front of the houses as well as taking up any available street parking.

If they are 3.5t or below he wouldn't normally need an operators licence.

Back
Top Bottom