Parking Issue

kai

kai

Soldato
Firstly, excuse the epic drawing.

I am after some advice, I reside in-house A. Both houses have a double drive for 2 cars, and a large garage suitable for another 2 cars.

parking.png

My Neighbour B insists on parking their car(s) in X, blocking access to the path in front of my house /front door. To gain access to my house I either need to walk across the grass to get in the house from the side of the drive or go round the back. I also have to look at a car window directly in front of my kitchen (not huge deal)

Both I and my wife have asked (several times nicely) can they use their own drive like everyone else in the estate. We have been told, it’s easier, it’s in front of their door and its not an issue for them to park there.

Each morning, if my wifes car in front of my mine, I have to move both cars and struggle around X car to get mine out. House B, does not have this issue as to the right is a full courtyard and can simply pull out.

It’s a private estate, but after two years the road is now owned and maintained by the council so it’s a public road. Not sure I have many options :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Contact the council, say you have a young child (or a young child that regularly visits perhaps, or disabled relative) and you can't get the pushchair in and out when cars park outside - can they put a solid white 'no parking' line there.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
why do you not park there when you can

We do now and again, but I don't want to start that. It becoming a fight for space. Neither of us needs to park there, to begin with. Plus Neighbour B works for a dealership, and will often bring cars home. IF they wanted they could let a car sit there 24/7 :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not a bad drawing. There's precedence for them not parking there as a recent case was settled in favour of the person in your situation. I'll try and find the link

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Are they parking across a dropped kerb or on solid white / yellow lines? If not, ****-all you can do about it.

Neither, see the photo above. :(

Let me get this straight Your neighbours have a double drive, and don't park anything on it. Instead they park in the street?

Yep, well they put one car at the end of drive and second in X space. Each house has a double drive and a double garage (length ways)

Soldato
As petty as it sounds - I think I would end up parking where they're parking, in the hope they'll eventually get the message.

Soldato
From that pic it looks like they have a double drive, but the kurb isn't dropped in front of it properly? Instead to get onto the drive in reverse they'd have to snake onto it from the street by the looks of things.

Bit crap if so, and I wonder if dropping the kerb properly there would make them reconsider.

Caporegime
As petty as it sounds - I think I would end up parking where they're parking, in the hope they'll eventually get the message.

Agreed

If you've asked them nicely a few times and they won't entertain changing their ways, and assuming you can get back before them to park, park outside your own house and leave your drive empty and see how they like it.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Agreed

If you've asked them nicely a few times and they won't entertain changing their ways, and assuming you can get back before them to park, park outside your own house and leave your drive empty and see how they like it.

As above, this will just make the situation worse. IF they wanted they could let a car sit there 24/7.

Soldato
That's rather annoying. It's selfish behaviour like this where these silly neighbourhood feuds start. There is absolutely no need for them to park there with a double driveway and a double parking space allocated to them. It just requires them to walk, what, an extra 5 metres? Oh noes.

Soldato
Yehhhh they won't. Like most bloody minded people, they'll see it as some insult/challenge and become even bigger idiots.

It depends on the situation and type of person they are I guess - It's not always going to work.

However, we had a new neighbour move in about a year ago and they started parking their car on the road outside our house (despite no cars on their driveway) - We have three cars, two on the driveway, and I always parked on the road outside our house - So in this scenario, we started parking on the road outside our house instead of the driveway (Whoever got home first would park there instead of the drive), in order to get the message across that this space is not for them :p They slowly but surely got the message, and parked elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom