Parking Issue

Soldato
It depends on the situation and type of person they are I guess - It's not always going to work.

However, we had a new neighbour move in about a year ago and they started parking their car on the road outside our house (despite no cars on their driveway) - We have three cars, two on the driveway, and I always parked on the road outside our house - So in this scenario, we started parking on the road outside our house instead of the driveway (Whoever got home first would park there instead of the drive), in order to get the message across that this space is not for them :p They slowly but surely got the message, and parked elsewhere.

so you're saying that you randomly decided to take "ownership" of a parking space that is allocated to anyone?

you sound like my neighbour who gets upset about my visitors parking in a visitors space outside his house(that's how it is designed, there are no spaces outside our house)

and has a go at me for using a visitors space and inconveniencing his "visitors"

I can see where Kai is coming from but you sound like one of those "if it's near my house it's my private space" kinda people.

@Hyburnate

that's exactly what I'd do! :) taste of their own medicine.

Soldato
so you're saying that you randomly decided to take "ownership" of a parking space that is allocated to anyone?

you sound like my neighbour who gets upset about my visitors parking in a visitors space outside his house(that's how it is designed, there are no spaces outside our house)

and has a go at me for using a visitors space and inconveniencing his "visitors"

I can see where Kai is coming from but you sound like one of those "if it's near my house it's my private space" kinda people.

Yeeeeaaah... I don't really care what you think I sound like :p

I've been parking there for years, and a new neighbour moved into the street and starts parking there, when they could park on their own driveway. They got the hint in the end, and parked in a space outside their own house.

Soldato
Our road has no parking restrictions, and pretty much everybody just gets on and parks correctly, all on the same side. The only issue I sometimes have is that you can fit 2 cars in each space (theres no actual marked spaces) between dropped kerbs yet some people park right in the middle of the 2 spaces thus limiting 2 spaces down to one.

Op, do your neighbours have 2 cars? They're probably too lazy to swap cars around if so, just start parking in the same space and give your reason as 'we have to swap cars a lot, this makes it easier'.

Soldato
you/op did seem to say that you have to juggle your two cars, unless you put them both in the garage I guess ?
so I can see neighbour is just trying to avoid that.
(Several cars bm and toyota yaris owned do not like being driven small distances can leave them flooded when cold)

unclear from map if he could park outside his property, only blocking his path/view, surely he would be amenable to that

Soldato
Yeeeeaaah... I don't really care what you think I sound like :p

I've been parking there for years, and a new neighbour moved into the street and starts parking there, when they could park on their own driveway. They got the hint in the end, and parked in a space outside their own house.
doesn't give you any more right to park there now does it ? or do you get a "special" permit after a few years living there? :)

Soldato
doesn't give you any more right to park there now does it ? or do you get a "special" permit after a few years living there? :)

No you know it doesn't. It's common courtesy though. As with OP, this guy has a massive driveway and didn't use it. Additionally, there is a space of road outside his own house that he could have used. I wasn't being a **** for no reason, he ended up using the space outside his own house in the end - Everyone's a winner.

Soldato
Every time that car needlessly blocks one of your cars in, rather than playing car park shuffle with yourself, ask him nicely "can he move so you can get out please".

That's what I'd do. "wife's busy, can you move your car please?". In fact it's what I'd have done the first time it happened rather than asking him to not park there. It's polite and get's the point across that it's a PITA for me, so it's a PITA for you.

It should still work, but now he'll think it's a tactic rather than behavioural instinct.

It's what our neighbour did when we moved in. We have a shared private drive and we're at the end. Each house has a single parking space. We have to reverse up or down as there's no turning circle. He likes to drive up past his house, in front of ours and reverse into his space so he doesn't have to reverse up or down which means we can't park in front of ours even though there's room for 3 cars. Means I have to park on another street. I've no problem with it. I don't use my car every day anyway. But when we first moved in, I'd park my car and he'd quite politely come and ask me to move it so he could reverse in.

I'd also have a look at the deeds of your house. Although the road might now be adopted, there might me something in there that requires that you don't obstruct your neighbours' access to property. Which is exactly what he's doing.

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Op, do your neighbours have 2 cars? They're probably too lazy to swap cars around if so, just start parking in the same space and give your reason as 'we have to swap cars a lot, this makes it easier'.

Here is a picture.

parking2.png

I have a closed off drive, my house one side, a wall other side. They dont. They dont need to swap cars around. To the right of their drive they have a full courtyard, they can openly move in and out without moving any cars.

Soldato
I'm guessing your house is on the left of that photo and his front door is in the middle of the photo? If so, your garden footpath pretty much becomes useless when he parks a car in front of it?

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I'm guessing your house is on the left of that photo and his front door is in the middle of the photo? If so, your garden footpath pretty much becomes useless when he parks a car in front of it?

Correct. I have to walk across the grass to get to the house. Not a huge issue, but it should not be an issue.

Soldato
Here is a picture.

parking2.png

I have a closed off drive, my house one side, a wall other side. They dont. They dont need to swap cars around. To the right of their drive they have a full courtyard, they can openly move in and out without moving any cars.
looking at that I'd go as far as saying that no one should park there..

Caporegime
Correct. I have to walk across the grass to get to the house. Not a huge issue, but it should not be an issue.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7270843/maidenhead-neighbours-parking-row-legal-fees/

This is the one I read about. Found in favour of the path owner. Should be even easier since he doesn't own the space. What you could always do is have the council put a dropped kerb in. Or if he parks there just start accidentally clipping his car with bags, pushchairs, whatever.

Soldato
I hate selfish neighbours and wouldn't think twice about parking there until they get the message or even blocking them in once they have parked. If you do nothing they will just see you as an easy ride.

Soldato
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7270843/maidenhead-neighbours-parking-row-legal-fees/

This is the one I read about. Found in favour of the path owner. Should be even easier since he doesn't own the space. What you could always do is have the council put a dropped kerb in. Or if he parks there just start accidentally clipping his car with bags, pushchairs, whatever.

Surely though the difference is that the people in that story couldn't get access to their property while in OP's case he still can. I don't understand why there isn't pavement in front of OP's property though? Seems really odd where it just stops.

Back
Top Bottom