Parts Compatible?

Associate
Are all these parts compatible with each other? Don't want to order and realise they won't work together! ;)

ComputerPartsFSXrev2.jpg

Cheers,

Andy S

Caporegime
Unless you're going to be taking advantage of the hyperthreading on the i7-2600K then get an i5-2500K.

It's just as good for gaming.

Soldato
they are all compatible, but they are really bad value for money.

as the above have said, the i5 2500k is just as good at gaming as the 2600k, but for highly threaded applications the 2600k is the winner:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287

RAM timings make virtually no real world difference to sandybridge processors. you just want to get the cheapest 1600Mhz kit you can find. however, CL9 and below is preferred:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1

the hard drive is very expensive for what it is. go for the cheapest 1TB hard drive that isnt a green one and isnt a hitachi deathstar

the motherboard does not do lucid virtu (power saving feature) or the faster video encoding feature who's name i forget

the graphics card is just a highly overclocked GTX 460. for that kind of money you might as well get a 560Ti, which has a lot more processing power than the 460 and 560

also, do you need a DVD drive (you will only be able to reuse your old one if its SATA)

if i've done my maths right this should come out at about the same price (~£6 more i think), but it is FAR better:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **Supplied with FREE Batman: Arkham City PC game** £251.99
1 x Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail £233.99
1 x Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £99.98
1 x Lepa B-Series 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply £74.98
1 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) £46.99
1 x Antec 100 One Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black £46.99
1 x Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX) £45.98
1 x Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3/LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366) £25.99
Total : £841.90 (includes shipping : £12.50).

motherboard does do the bits i mentioned earlier, which should save you money on the electric bill.

i've sacrificed the cooler a bit to get a GTX 570 in the build, which will blow the 560 into the middle of next week

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The answer is.....I will be using it for gaming mainly Flightsim (FSX) and general internet stuff.

I do video editing for work but I have an iMac for that and that only.

I have had a go with FSX with some complex addons/scenery on my i7 quad core Mac via Bootcamp and it does run pretty well but I want to keep that machine for work. Full spec of my iMac is 2.8GHz i7 quad core, 8GB RAM, ATI 6770M graphics card. Basically I want some thing that will run FSX preferably better than my Mac will but certainly not worse.

[edit] - I forgot to add that I currently have an Asus GTX 460 card that I could sell or I could use in the new build depending on how much performance difference there would be over the ones suggested above. The exact card is like this: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX460_DirectCU2DI1GD5/#specifications

Last edited:
Soldato
ah, flight sims do have a couple of requirements that other games dont. i know for a fact that they dont support SLI/crossfire, and they are also very CPU intensive (so you might want to up the cooler and back the graphics down to the 560Ti). however, i'm not sure if they make use of hyperthreading.

just a quick question. are you planning on going for a build with 3 or more monitors? if so then ATI is the only route you can take, but if not then its far better to go with Nvidia

its probably best to sell the 460 on. its massive overkill for a physX card, which is all you could do with it

Associate
OP
No I'm only going for one monitor, maybe a second somewhere down the line but no plans.

Do you mean the GTX460 is not good enough or it's too good? Sorry didn't quite get what you mean,lol.

Caporegime
Can I interest you in saving a heap of money?

Untitled-63.png

The motherboard is reviewed here - http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...-z68ap-d3-z68-review-bargain-buy-of-the-year/

Its an excellent overclocker also for the money and does all the Z68 features.

It doesnt do SLI/Crossfire at 8X/8X, instead it does it at 16X/4X, but you wont be going for SLI etc for a flight sim game.

What it does offer you is a full 16X PCI-E gen3.0 bandwidth when ivybridge is released next year which the next generation of graphics cards will use.

The PSU is more than enough for any single graphics card setup also - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ZS-Series-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1361

I have changed the case to, the Zalman includes more fans/fan controller and temp sensor with display for just £3 more.

As for the i5 2500K vs i7 2600K FSX debate, the i7 2600K wins, the extra L3 cache/100Mhz core speed and Hyperthreading are beneficial in this case.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is no proven benefit of having hyperthreading with FSX. Some say there is others don't. I've tested it extensively with my i7 920 and have not seen any difference in performance. In my experience FSX runs smoother the higher the CPU clock. I like Stulids final build looks spot on but would go with an i5 2500K and get a better CPU cooler to allow you to overclock a bit more. As has been mentioned, FSX doesn't support dual graphics cards so going SLI/Crossfire is pointless. Also it's worth installing FSX on the first partition of its own dedicated HDD, (or even ideally an SSD), which helps with texture loading.

Soldato

The cache with certainly help but even going back to when the i7 1366 CPU's were released there has not firm agreement regarding hyperthreading. If I were the OP I'd go for an i5 2500K and get an SSD for either OS or FSX. (Depending on budget available and the amount of payware and aftermarket addons I'd look at a 128GB drive as a minimum. You'll certainly notice more from the fast texture loading especially with demanding terrain and should have far less blur in the distance.

Back
Top Bottom