Passed my driving test, nearly forty years after passing my driving test - Would you?

I think I'd be able to pass the the driving and theory parts, but it's moot as I had to give up my licence some time ago for medical reasons. And it still feels like someone has cut my legs off.

Last edited:
The issue for me is the hazard perception test.

For an example, i am watching the video of the car driving, 200meters ahead there is a road to the right, a park is on the right, a white object is moving, and you can see that between gaps in the foliage.

So anyway, there is no hazard, a white van is about to pop up in 3, 2, 1, and there it goes, and the driver on the video brakes as if he is surprised.

I clicked 10 seconds before the car popped out.

Anyway round 2 i just clicked randomly every 15 seconds and passed.

Yes, I'd absolutely **** it because driving is dead easy.

I had 10, 1 hour lessons. I passed first time doing absolutely nothing wrong and having done very little wrong other than **** off my driving instructor (who was my uncle, now sadly deceased) during those 10 lessons. Mainly because, hungover on a Saturday morning, I couldn't or wouldn't accurately memorise number plates I was supposed to be reading in my rear view mirror.

My cousin, the son of aforesaid uncle passed with zero lessons on his 17th birthday. Quite an accomplishment.

I know some people find it hard. Both of my parents didn't pass first time. They both tried with the same uncle to begin with. I don't think they quite got with the hyper-training.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t pass now.

Are you blind?

I mean, essentially, all you need to be able to do is control a car and be able to see out of the windows.

And pass a test on the highway code. I did that at school when I was about 7.

:)

People hold conversations and all sorts whilst they do it. I've really never managed to master that. Even when not driving...

Last edited:

For an example, i am watching the video of the car driving, 200meters ahead there is a road to the right, a park is on the right, a white object is moving, and you can see that between gaps in the foliage.

Indeed, I think it's that that older drivers would be failing on , would be interesting to go on an advanced driving test where I believe you have to commentate on what you are thinking/planning.

I never really mastered parking backwards, either at the side of the road or at the supermarket.

Everything else would be a breeze tho.

I wouldn't do manual again tho. Always felt that gears took up too much thinking, defo drive better now I dont have that to think about.

So anyway, there is no hazard, a white van is about to pop up in 3, 2, 1, and there it goes, and the driver on the video brakes as if he is surprised.

I clicked 10 seconds before the car popped out.

Anyway round 2 i just clicked randomly every 15 seconds and passed.
I struggled with the HPT for my MC in 2003 and HGV 2010. Fortunately it wasn't a tax thing when I passed my car test in 1999. Some online practice, and like you, I was clicking too soon. Essentially, if you spotted the hazard too soon (there's no such thing) then the computer deemed you a rubbish driver. I had to pretend I was a crap driver to pass the practice tests. Tried to mimic that in the real tests and passed both 1st time.

Anyway, in my experience as both a motorcyclist and a blue light driver, I'm convinced/reminded/proven on a daily basis that most of you got your licence free with your corn flakes packet.

And now they're watering down the syllabus. God help us.

I passed with an absurdly bad habit that the instructor or examiner didn't realise.

Not to mention the examiner has limits on where to test you. They might make an effort but it needs to be basically local which means if you're local you're not being challenged by the unknown. If you live in pancake geography you're not even in a position to be tested on hills.

I was following a car yesterday for about 10 miles in A roads...i noticed the car kept

1 - braked for no reason, and it's only for half a second
2 - it was just after sunset so getting dark, headlights were on. Everytime there was an oncoming car he would flash them 3 times regardless of whether their headbeam were down.

I thought i was seeing things but it kept happening. The guy became an hazard on the road.

Last edited:
I'm the type of driver that is always conscious/critical of my own driving habits so if I make a mistake I know it was a mistake and make a mental note to avoid in future and call myself out on it. This has become a practice as the years have gone by, more especially since having this car as it's all too easy to take advantage of the performance and normalise bad habits.

I think I would pass fairly easily and not break a sweat as a result.

I do wonder how some people I see on teh roads managed to pass however...

It's hard to say unless you take it. But I think I probably would. I passed my motorcycle tests a few years ago so I am quite up to date on the theory questions and hazard perception test. Also a few years ago I helped teach my daughter to drive. She did have some lessons with a professional instructor too, but I took her out every night for a year while COVID delayed things. No doubt I would get a bunch of minors but I think I stand a reasonable chance of not getting a major or collecting too many minors.

I was also surprised how simple the manouvres are now. There is no three point turn or reversing around a corner etc and a lot of it is following a satnav (not everyone gets that option). Another thing that surprised me was that nowadays they are taught at traffic lights to keep the car in gear with the clutch down. Back in my day that would have been a fail as we were taught to always be in neutral when waiting.

Last edited:
I'd like to think I would, in me head in the worlds greatest commuter driver and never do a thing wrong.

I'd like to think "Pass" but with 4/5 minors.

Are you blind?

I mean, essentially, all you need to be able to do is control a car and be able to see out of the windows.

And pass a test on the highway code. I did that at school when I was about 7.

:)

People hold conversations and all sorts whilst they do it. I've really never managed to master that. Even when not driving...

Not blind, but too many bad habits. I won’t be driving 10 to 2, test or no test.

I don’t think the test is as you remember it, or you took it 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Passed it first time back in the army, did a training sesh in the Land Rover and my seargent demanded I got out of the car after I went past a big lorry and the left side of the car was rubbing against some overhanging leaves, it's kinda mad I scared the guy, my perception was I would make it through safe and I did...

Yet I scared the poop out of him.

Not driven since but will do it again in Canada... my license that is.

Last edited:
You don’t need to. It’s not a requirement any more.
This was so annoying.
Yeah and when my test is done, I will be swivveling the wheel with one hand, seat all the way back so I am pretty much laid down, big 18 inch sub in boot and me trying to look not all attention seeking as I do it, K& N air filter, Big straight pipe waterslide pipe as an exahust and a tow ring in my VW Polo . -19 year old me in 2009.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom