PC black screen / crash

Associate
Hi there just after some advice my pc keeps crashing randomly can go a weeks with out crashing then crash 3 times in a night all i do is game on it now I've had this issue for 4 years now what's I've done to try and solve is is replace the hard drive the CPU and the ram also the gpu thinking originally it was gpu issue and put up with it for 4 years decided enough is enough and bought new cpu and gpu now its crashing again :( only things left to change is psu and motherboard temps all seem fine i am going crazy here any help would be apricated

old spec of pc
3900x cpu
5700xt gpu
32gb of 3200 ram
mother board is x570 aorus elite
evga 750 80+ gold

new spec

5800x3d
7900 gre
32gb 3200 ram
mother board is x570 aorus elite
evga 750 80+ gold

Now for things that seem to help is me undervolting the gpu makes it more stable if i play it all on default it crashes now everthing in my body screaming psu but id thought id ask here please save me

many thanks

Associate
Have you tried updating your BIOS version and device drivers? In addition, do you power the 7900GRE with 2 different power cables from the PSU or just with one?

Man of Honour
You have replaced:
SSD(s)
CPU
Memory
GPU

Not replaced:
PSU
Motherboard

Is that right?

Did you replace the memory with the same brand/spec? Do you run with XMP/DOCP disabled or enabled ?

Do you have CSTATES enabled?

When you have a black screen crash, you mean that there's no sound, no picture, you just have to press power button to hard reset?

What do you have running while you game? Do you have anything that uses hardware acceleration like browsers and discord?

Now for things that seem to help is me undervolting the gpu makes it more stable if i play it all on default it crashes now everthing in my body screaming psu but id thought id ask here please save me
That does suggest PSU if you have had the same issue on 2x cards. It could also be an issue relating to the temperatures around the card, especially if they're dumping them on particular parts of the board, though it is unlikely you'd have exactly the same temp issue with two very different cards.

Is it worse in some games more than other games?

Does it ever crash while doing nothing?

Is your CPU totally stock? No PBO curve 'n such?

Associate
OP
That is correct only things not replaced is motherboard and psu bios is latest versions the card is powered of two separate cables i change brand on the memory and i had and use xmp enabled on them both
i have no idea what this is CSTATES is so it would be default

i use x2 screens both on DisplayPort one at 144hz and 1 at 60hz i watch a lot of you tube and twitch on second monitor and game on the main 144hz monitor i play wow and rust
it has crashed when watching video before i have hardware acceleration turned of on chrome i dont use discord really on my pc my phone only

cpu is stock

when it black screen it keeps the sound going rust will crash and wont recover were wow will recover but will reset my undervolt on gpu it sometimes will also turn second monitor black when it crashes other times it wont
i am trying to think of other info to help it can go weeks with no issue and then it will just start up its driving me crazy i thought the new cpu and gpu would fix it at this point i am thinking throw another 250 quid at it and its a new pc new board and cpu :(

ive tried loads of fixes on the internet nothing seems to work

thanks for your help

Man of Honour
I would try:
1. Disable XMP.
2. Don't run anything while gaming (kill the icons as well, if they're still in the taskbar).
3. Use just one screen.

If that helps, you can go from there.

Man of Honour
i cant use 1 monitor once you go 2 you cant go back ha
I understand, but I strongly recommend that you try it because using multiple monitors, mixing refresh rates, display outputs 'n stuff can be a common source of problems and if it does fix the issue then we can look for workarounds to get it less problematic. If it makes no difference then at least you can just rule it out.

Associate
OP
I understand, but I strongly recommend that you try it because using multiple monitors, mixing refresh rates, display outputs 'n stuff can be a common source of problems and if it does fix the issue then we can look for workarounds to get it less problematic. If it makes no difference then at least you can just rule it ouill
I will try that as a last resort thanks you again

Man of Honour
If you have gone from a 3900x to a 5800x3d did you update your motherboard bios to one that fully supports the new cpu? While your 3900x was supported from bios version F3 your 5800x3d requires at least version F30 and the latest is F39. There have been several security fixes in recent bios versions so what I would do is download F39 from here and unzip it to a Fat32 formatted USB stick. Your board doesn't have USB Flashback (Q-Flash Plus on Gigabyte boards) so plug the stick into a USB port and reboot the pc into the bios. Find Q-Flash and fire it up then point it at the USB stick with the new bios on it and let it do it's thing. Do not interrupt the process. Do not use any Windows based software to update the bios, always use Q-Flash as it's the safest way to do it. Once flashed clear CMOS and re-enter any settings you require and reboot.

***Please Note*** Flashing the bios has a similar effect to clearing CMOS so any overclock or other settings will be erased. Write down your settings before flashing so that you can re-enter them after the flash.

Associate
OP
Hi mate I am running the f39 bios
I updated before I installed jt I am going to try running memory at stock for a while and if it still crashes maybe try one monitor the if that fails Maybe new psu ohhh the joys I am thinking of maybe trying new display port cables think that would help ?

Associate
OP
No sorry i mean my fps in game is lower and less smooth with ram at stock this is a very random problem may only crash 1 time 2 weeks if that makes sense its more annoying than anything i am just trying to stop it happing at all

Back
Top Bottom