PC/Console gaming via VR - just a gimmick?

Soldato
OP
The games which are VR ready but also can be played none VR on Tv/monitor just doesn't feel polished for the VR experience. Take Res Evil 7 - great game, but the VR was poorly implemented in my opinion.

I finished it on PC first (and loved it), then bought on PSVR for the more immersive feel, but it just didnt feel good/right in VR. It was almost as if it was an after thought and the programmed the VR support as a quick shoddy bolt on after.

Soldato
There needs to be a AAA budget game built from the ground up for VR exclusively.

You CANNOT make a conventional game then "add on" VR, it does not work like that. Tha game needs to be designed for VR and VR only.

Stuck with the chicken and egg philosophy :D

Associate
I also play Assetto Corsa in the Vive, and VR takes the game to a whole new level! It just doesn't feel as good playing it on a flat panel anymore. I'm waiting for fallout 4 VR to come out, because i really think it will be amazing playing a AAA rpg in vr.

Associate
I wasn't sure on the VR as it just seemed like a expensive gimmick to me but I could be a bit tempted if the price goes down by quite a bit but only for games like Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous.

Associate
vive owner here. i never even gave VR a thought until i went round a friends house who had it. I was absolutely blown away by it, dodging lazers in space pirate trainer, shooting zombies in brookhaven...wow.
within 2 weeks i'd bought myself a pc to play it on and a vive :D

For those talking about AAA games arizona sunshine is probably the one for the vive, its amazing. plenty of immersive games which have kept me coming back, quivr, thrill of the fight, space pirate, audioshield etc.
I'm never short of a title to play when i fire it up, had it since october and looking forward to the wireless adapter for the headset. that'll make the boxing game thrill of the fight even more amazing!

Soldato
Best thing I've ever purchased.

It broke tomorrow, there would be an order for a new one same day. Each to their own, but in 35 years of gamming, this is the best way of playing games I've know.

Attend a live show in the Wave VR to see it goes far beyond the games.

Associate
There needs to be a AAA budget game built from the ground up for VR exclusively.

You CANNOT make a conventional game then "add on" VR, it does not work like that. Tha game needs to be designed for VR and VR only.

Stuck with the chicken and egg philosophy :D

Half life 2 vr doesn't agree with that statement.

I don't mind if it's mouse n keyboard, but any fps game with stereo3d support can do a HLVR just by decoupling head camera from mouse aim

Soldato
Valves demos, Minecraft and Portal were great on the Vive though the last two needed some patching and additional software to work.

More of that would have kept me in as the tracking on the Vive for example was spot on from day one. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy ED and the sims I tried even though the immersion was great. The limited res and SDE were constantly grating for me.

For that reason I bailed while there was a profit in selling the headset and will wait to see if the optics improve sufficiently. I still watch Tested YT vids regularly on recent developments.

I suspect I am missing on some software improvements and recent titles after the initial few months but I'll need a cheap 2nd hand unit or extensive demo to convince me back in for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Half life 2 vr doesn't agree with that statement.

Or Doom 3, Superhot, Pinball FX. I could name many more, and we await Fallout 4...

I felt vr games were starting to wain a little a couple of months ago, the past 3-4 weeks of releases and announcements have signalled it's back on again!

Soldato
Stuff like the Wave VR, Everspace days away, Battlezone , Sturmovik, Paranormal Activity, Pulsar the lost colony, all have value to me. But in general just the sheer number of announcements, and recent enhancements. More developers are doing the VR 'thing' with their games, and the more that do, the more that will.

Soldato
Despite this pre-release hype about PSVR actually being the place where the most/best content would be, I tried to warn people that this would not be the case and that a huge amount of the touted '100+ titles in 2016' along with all the big-name franchises being used were basically glorified tech demos and just generally quite short, overpriced experiences.

Devs have spent more time developing VR software for PC, Rift/Vive have a greater variety of applications and are usable for a lot more than just gaming, plus there's a number of titles that simply could not run adequately on a PS4 in VR and lack of 360 degree support or analog stick/trackpad on Move controllers also rules out a number of games. PC was always going to be where it's at for VR, especially in the early years where the indie scene will be the main ones propping up the software count.

It's still early days though, and Sony do potentially have some interesting software coming up for it - Dreams is probably the most notable. We know it'll have PSVR support, though they haven't yet detailed how comprehensive it'll be. Gran Turismo Sport was *supposed* to be fully playable in VR, but has now been relegated to a specific mode, which is a huge blow as it should have been a flagship, fullscale VR title, but we'll again have to see how comprehensive the VR mode will be. Ace Combat will be there in 2018. And it'll probably get a good amount of the better indie PC VR indie titles eventually.

Overall though, naw, no way is VR gaming 'past its peak'. I dont know that VR will become a raging success over the next 5-10 years or if it will peter out into a more niche/enthusiast market, but for now, the software situation is still on forward momentum and there's quite a bit to look forward to if you can temper your expectations for loads of big AAA titles coming anytime soon. I would definitely recommend going with a Vive or Rift over a PSVR if you want to experience more of what VR has to offer in terms of games and applications, though.

Associate
Love my oculus use it most days , got 3 camera setup, loves the games and the immersion , can't wait for the future and full 4K+ headsets , fully body integration without controls and wireless headsets

Associate
I don't want room-scale or motion controls, just conventional AAA games with native VR. Resident Evil 7 is one such example, as is the upcoming Fallout 4 VR update. No teleportation gimmicks, no omni platforms, just a controller or mouse and keyboard.

Caporegime
The games which are VR ready but also can be played none VR on Tv/monitor just doesn't feel polished for the VR experience. Take Res Evil 7 - great game, but the VR was poorly implemented in my opinion.

I finished it on PC first (and loved it), then bought on PSVR for the more immersive feel, but it just didnt feel good/right in VR. It was almost as if it was an after thought and the programmed the VR support as a quick shoddy bolt on after.
I am a bit lame really and only really use my Rift for Elite Dangerous but on saying that, I bought it for that game in the first place and it is mind blowing. Anyone who really enjoys that game needs to play it or at least try it in VR. It will certainly change the way you think about VR

Soldato
i think there are still some technical issues before vr really takes off in terms of providing a fully immersive experience.

as others have said it's great for things like racers, flight sims, space sims etc because those allow an immersive experience whilst still seated in your chair.

the holy grail of vr is going to be the ability to have a setup where you're not limited by room space for full motion games, being able to walk/run/jump without actually moving on the spot.

next will then be the issue for example in fps games, where shouldering a mock rifle is going to be far superior to waving 2 controllers in the air hoping you've got it vaguely in the right position, although that could be reasonably solved with the use of mock systems you can fit your controller into.

if they get the walking issue sorted then it'll really fly, although i suspect the initial systems are going to be immensely complicated and expensive (best way i can think of doing it is having platforms attached to robotic arms which move to keep a platform under each foot, but it doesn't take much thought to realise that'll cost more than the rest of the setup combined.

Associate
if they get the walking issue sorted then it'll really fly, although i suspect the initial systems are going to be immensely complicated and expensive (best way i can think of doing it is having platforms attached to robotic arms which move to keep a platform under each foot, but it doesn't take much thought to realise that'll cost more than the rest of the setup combined.

Also, most consumers want less gizmos, more apple simplicity. VR is already too geeky looking for most without robot arms. no HMD wires first, then no HMD or at least smaller glasses or something would do a lot to help

Back
Top Bottom