PC died

Soldato
Last night my wife told me that while playing Cities Skylines 2, the screen went black and the PC just turned off and it won't turn back on. I took a look at it and noticed the light were still lit on the motherboard (underside RGB) but nothing was happening. I pulled the power from the PC and let it sit for a few minutes. I then plugged it back in and turned it on. The CPU cooler fan spins (which tells me power is getting through the board) and the power light on the button flashes. I get no beeps, other lights or any video output.

The spec of the PC is a Gigabyte B450i Auro motherboard, 5800X3d, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock 6700XT Challenger.

I'm thinking it may be power supply but not sure as there is still obviously power getting through to the CPU fan. The power supply is the original Fractal 450w one that came with the case (Fractal Node 202).

Only thing I've tried so far is reseating the RAM. Next thing to try is to put the GPU in my sons PC and see if it works okay in there. Testing the CPU and motherboard are going to be more difficult.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
personally, the first thing i would do is swap over the psu to something that's working and 600w+ before swapping the gpu
ram is rarely the cause of such a catastophic failure
if the psu and gpu is okay then the other causes are cpu and mobo (cpu more likely than mobo)

Lower the resolution and detail in game if no crashes then the PSU isn't delivering enough power like others have stated.
op can't get a boot now

Soldato
OP
I tried the Corsair SF600 from my sons PC in it and it still exhibits the same issue. Next step is to try his GPU (a 3070), although at this stage I'm thinking its the CPU or motherboard.

Man of Honour
I tried the Corsair SF600 from my sons PC in it and it still exhibits the same issue. Next step is to try his GPU (a 3070)
ok keep that sf600 in your dead system, is there a cheaper gpu you can use instead of the 3070?

although at this stage I'm thinking its the CPU or motherboard.
i can loan (post to) you a 3200g if you want?

Soldato
OP
Is it safer to try my sons known working CPU in my wife’s computer or put my wife’s CPU in my sons PC?

I’m thinking the latter? I’m worried if my wife’s motherboard is toast, that putting another CPU in it will take that out too. Or is that unlikely to happen?

Soldato
OP
Ok so first of all, my wife’s motherboard is a B450i, not a B550i. It has an updated BIOS though so does support the 5800X3D and it has been working.

Anyway, I checked my son’s PC (which is a B550i) and his BIOS is version F15. Gigabyte state that the 5800X3D works from BIOS F10 onwards.

Both PCs are essentially stripped and out of their cases. When I try his, everything is fine. If I put my wife’s CPU in his motherboard, no video out.

So the conclusion appears to be my wife’s 5800X3D is kaput. Is it worth me trying my son’s CPU in my wife’s motherboard? My concern is the CPU is toast because the mobo took it out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My concern is the CPU is toast because the mobo took it out.
it is indeed possible that the mobo is borked, i'd inspect the mobo carefully
if there's no visible damage then it's less likely that it was the mobo that took the cpu out
(visible damage = kaput capacitors/vrm/silicon...may be beneath the heatsinks)

if there's no visible damage then i'd pop a cpu in

on balance, it's more likely that it's a isolated cpu failure, than a combined cpu+mobo failure, or a mobo failure frying the cpu

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
it is indeed possible that the mobo is borked, i'd inspect the mobo carefully
if there's no visible damage then it's less likely that it was the mobo that took the cpu out
(visible damage = kaput capacitors/vrm/silicon...may be beneath the heatsinks)

if there's no visible damage then i'd pop a cpu in

on balance, it's more likely that it's a isolated cpu failure, than a combined cpu+mobo failure, or a mobo failure frying the cpu
The mobo looks clean. I don’t see any signs of a short (although difficult to spot on a black board).

I’m guessing if I put my sons cpu in my wife’s board and it doesn’t work and then I put my sons cpu part back in his mobo and it no longer works, then it’s probably my wife’s board has taken the CPU with it so I’d then need to replace a mobo and 2 CPUs

Do the 5800X3Ds have a higher than usual failure rate? This is the first time in 26 years of home PC building I’ve had a CPU failure!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’m guessing if I put my sons cpu in my wife’s board and it doesn’t work and then I put my sons cpu part back in his mobo and it no longer works, then it’s probably my wife’s board has taken the CPU with it so I’d then need to replace a mobo and 2 CPUs
correct, if all are under warranty then it's less of an issue (so, besides the hassle of needing to wait, you can always RMA the parts) :)

Do the 5800X3Ds have a higher than usual failure rate? This is the first time in 26 years of home PC building I’ve had a CPU failure!
nothing that's been reported in the media, you must be lucky then lol
in the last 13 years i've had two (a 3770k and a 3700x)

Back
Top Bottom