PC Edition: Gears of War

Soldato
Any owners of the PC copy of Gears of War? If so, can you let me know if the rumours are true, that the PC version is borked and not worth purchasing?

Been reading comments on it, and people say there's too many problems with the game such as; Random game erasing, crashing etc.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
i have it n it worked great on my machine!! if only they made dedicated servers n i think it could have been a hit!!!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
When it first came out there were a few bugs and then the problem with the expired certificate, but they have all been patched out.

Just grab the latest update slap it on and its flawless. Runs like a dream, looks great and plays really well.

Soldato
After a 100,000+ posts (not solely by me :)) in a topic about game saves disapearing on their official website, i finally gave up with it. Was a fun game in truth, but Epics customer service / relations are aweful and ignored its userbase for months on end, ive no idea if they did get round to fixing it, no intention of finding out or buying one of their games again though.

Associate
I updated it through Games for Windows Live and played it through to the end with no issues at all. That was when it first came out I heard there was a certificate problem with it a few months ago but it had been resolved.

Really enjoyed it to great game

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, think i'll purchase it with my fingers firmly crossed.

I've played the console version on my friends 360, but i prefer computers.

Associate
I gave up on this tbh, maybe I just had bad luck but I don't think I've ever used a but of software that seems to go as far out of it's way as possible to try and make itself unusable.

Once it is up and running it actually runs ok but after having to start right back at the beginning again and having to reinstall it for the third/fourth due to lost saves menus not working etc I gave up on it. The game just isn't good enough to be worth the effort imo, what I did play of it bored me tbh. :(

Associate
When it came out, there were issues with the game crashing (caused by GFW Live) and save games disapearing. The crashing issue was fixed pretty quickly, and save games were thought to have been fixed by a few people still say there loosing them. In February this year (i think) there was an issue with the exe where some certificate went out of date causing the game to stop launching, it was fixed with a patch not long after (1.3).

As it stands now, the game is pretty much solid, i only have 1 minor issue where my texture setting doesnt save properly (no idea what it is) and i have to fiddle to get it to set at the highest (looks amazing when it does). I would recommend it, but i cant seem to find it available anywhere these days.

Patch page here -

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/pc/qfe1.htm

Best way is, custom install, tick it to not launch after its installed, install the patch, enjoy ;)

Associate
played it and is fine works great, and look ten times better then 360 version
People don't like the live software you need with it [ can't remember if u can run without ] it can be buggy

Soldato
Played it from start to finish with no problems (other than some really hard bits - lol)

Definitely a great game, looked superb, engrossing story and some mindless violence! I'd love a GoW 2 on the PC!

Never had any issues with saves or anything TBH!

Soldato
PC version worked fine for me, i completed the game got all the cogs... My saves screwed up when i went online with a mate though.

PC version has extra levels which is worth checking out :)

Soldato
Yeah as others have said its fine as long as you update with patch 3. Epic made a mistake with the certificate used to sign the main exe.

Save games disappearing is also a bug on the 360 version and the only reason Epic cannot fix it is because they have been unable to recreate the issue so both 360 & PC versions have this. If you do lose any save progress an easy way to get it back is get someone on co-op to invite you to the chapter you lost then it unlocks for you again. Not perfect but it works.

Caporegime
Had it a while ago, looked great and ran well (on my previous rig amd4400 8800gtx 2gig ram), unfortunately just had issues with retrieving save games but perhaps the latest patch sorts all this out. As mentioned, the PC has extra levels than the console version.:)

Soldato
If the game wont load,,,,,, either set the windows date back to 2008 or download the patch that came out this yr

Anyone got vsync to enable with the game, cos I cant enable it even tho its turned on in the game? Cos Im getting bad tearing

Soldato
Had no problems after the patch but then again had a huge carry on trying to install the patch in the first place. Excellent game after that mind!

Back
Top Bottom