Pc failure help

Associate
Hi everyone. I built my PC sourced fully from overclockers back in like 2013 . No problems since.

Heres the specs.

i7-3770K @ 3.8GHz (Ivybridge) - Alpenfohn K2 - Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 - 16Gb DDR3 - GTX 670 - 2x 128Gb Samsung SSD - 1Tb HDD - Corsair HX 850W ATX - NZXT Switch 810 Big Tower Case - White

My issue is. It's recently started to not post and all sorts. And the only issue from years ago is that it stopped letting me access bios. But that was never a problem. So I took to too of man and he's just called me and said it's mobo failure. Now I'm all about not blowing money.

So I need a new mobo. Then I thought. I could buy the same one again? 60£ it seems.

My only question is. Is it possible for me to do that? Take out the current CPU? Slot it in the new mobo? Take off the old thermal paste? Apply new paste? Is that how it works? I presume the old paste won't come off? Can I apply ontop?

Or..... Is it the case.... That I need a new CPU as well? Hopefully not. I'm confident that the first options are doable.

I'm not too bothered about the future as I ll just run the mobo till it fails or something else fails I'm not that bothered about buying to keep up with gens and all that.

Hope you all can help. Thanks

Soldato
What troubleshooting methods have you done to date?

For now you could try:
  • Clear CMOS - reset to defaults.
  • Replaces CMOS battery (CR 2032 - £1) - slim chance this could be the root cause.
  • skeleton setup - 1 stick, cpu, gfx and disconnect everything else and see if it posts
  • alternate memory sticks/slots
  • reseating heatsink
  • disconnecting/reconnecting components and cables
  • testing outside of the case
  • etc...
So I took to too of man and he's just called me and said it's mobo failure. Now I'm all about not blowing money.
Been on several threads before and 'man' has misdiagnosed the fault - one of them being simply swapping out a CMOS battery on an ageing motherboard.

So I need a new mobo. Then I thought. I could buy the same one again? 60£ it seems.
The z77 motherboard still command a high price second hand - plus you have the risk of paying top dollar for ageing tech with no guarantee.

If money is a novelty - you may be best served selling your CPU and memory and buying a zen 2000 setup (very cheap at the moment) - and offset the price with the sale of your old tech.

**But, be sure your existing motherboard is dead first - as mentioned sometimes PC shops (man) overlook the obvious...

Last edited:
Soldato
skeleton setup - 1 stick, cpu, gfx and disconnect everything else and see if it posts

Skip the GPU - the 3770 has onboard graphics.

One thing @Plec didn't mention is to look carefully at the capacitors on the motherboard. You'll need to take the board out of the case to do this. Are any of them leaking or blown? Capacitors are one big reason why buying a replacement motherboard may not be a good idea.

Associate
OP
Right okay. Thanks for all your replies. Let me refine.

I've tried all that. It's still not posting. I'm not really wanting to try and find out why as I've spent enough time doing that.

Money is tight like I said I'm all about saving money. And I work 60 hours weeks. I don't have time for messing around like I used too.

I've found the same mobo for £60 when it's back in stock.

So I total it looks like I can technically solve my issue for under 100£. Which is worth it too me.

The problem is.

I haven't changed out a mobo before. That's why I'm positing now.

Thanks for all your replies so far. So what's the deal with changing a mobo out? When it comes to moving the cpu and removing the old paste or what?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
So what's the deal with changing a mobo out? When it comes to moving the cpu and removing the old paste or what?
It's very simple.

Once you've removed the motherboard from the case (after disconnecting all cables and GPU) - remove the heatsink and keep bracket safe. Then clean off the old TIM with some isopropyl (or expensive dedicated TIM cleaner). Remove excess with paper towel, first, from CPU and heatsink and then polish off the rest with the isopropyl.

Then fit CPU into your new (to you) motherboard and reverse the process for fitting it all back together. They'll be online instructions for your cooler if concerned.

Watch some old how to build computer YouTube clips as this will show the process - there are even dedicated ones showing how to clean off thermal paste.

If you get stuck at any stage - just post back, but suspect you'll have zero problems unless your new board has issues.

Associate
OP
Nice . Thanks so much :) I kind of want to get started sooner rather than later. So might start searching for an on sale mobo that fits the cases and suits my current components if I start getting desperate.

Thanks again. Amazing fast help

Soldato
Thanks again. Amazing fast help
No worries.

You can pull the motherboard out by the heatsink - far easier. And install the heatsink to the new motherboard prior to fitting to case - as again it makes fitting the motherboard far easier. You can also fit the memory in at this time too.

I kind of want to get started sooner rather than later. So might start searching for an on sale mobo that fits the cases and suits my current components if I start getting desperate.
Just to give you an idea you would get approx £100 for your CPU and £40 for your memory. This added to the £60 you're going to spend on a second hand motherboard comes to £200. This could go towards something like the below and if you shopped around could be picked up for under £300.

That said the CPU comes with 2 free games from OcUK which you could sell for a total of ~£50. This would mean that you could get the below core spec, with guarantees, for approx £60 more than you originally intended to spend - i.e ~£120 total once you've sold old parts and free games. Something for you to think about...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £315.43

Associate
OP
Wow now I'm.mega unsure what to do lol.

Now I'm not very specialized when it comes to selling used pc parts , and I'm even more unsure of the process or the process in selling those free games? I presume the games are CD? That I would just sell on eBay? Very interesting what you have provided though. I presume that's roughly a great change around for me for the cost and the new power in general that id get back? I remember when I bought my CPU at the time it being pretty good.

Soldato
The games are codes - and they're selling for ~£25 a piece on the MM forum - you would get access to MM in 950 post time (need 1000 posts and member for over a year). You could sell your hardware there too - much easier than the bay.

Your 3770K was a great CPU - but the Ryzen 2600 has superior performance - gaming is closer but it still edges out the 3770K. The biggest bonus for you is that you would have brand new components and warranties plus an upgrade path to Zen 2 as the motherboard i specced has quality VRMs and Zen 2 compatible.

Your biggest concern with just replacing the motherboard is that you have no guarantee how long the ageing second hand board will last. Worse case scenario for you is that you could be in exactly the same position in a few months time with no guarantees...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay I think you are definitely onto something here. I am unaware of MM though, so I will need to research this when I'm home. So I need 50 more OC posts? I will need to research zen 2000 as well, that's new to me too.

I think I ll go with all your advise tbh. I had no idea I could sell my great but old components and end up with a pc roughly just as good as when I first built my pc... Really impressed with the advise. I havnt posted back on OC since I asked for building advise all those years ago .

Soldato
I am unaware of MM though, so I will need to research this when I'm home. So I need 50 more OC posts?
EDIT: apologies i got free postage and MM mixed up in my head - will edit my posts so it doesn't confuse members (You need a 1000 posts and 1 year membership to get MM access. The 100 posts and 1 year is for free postage)

MM is the Members Market Forum - you won't be able to see it yet because you don't meet the criteria to access it. And, you need 1000 post count combined with 1 year+ membership.

It's great (although i don't use it myself) - as you're buying and selling components from trusted members and the rules are very strict too, which is a good thing. Plus, you have an audience of buyers soley looking for computer parts - so if you price things fairly they sell very quickly. No auctioning crap, although haggling is fine...

You need 949 more posts to gain access - i would join some topics on the General Discussion forum - or find a forum that you could offer advice. I'm not suggesting you spam - but to contribute in different forums meaningfully and you should have MM access reasonably quickly if you find a subject matter that you have interest in.

And, if you do decide to do a complete core build - post back if you need any further advice, or questions. There's always someone lurking about who can help.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. I ll start reading around and posting on what interests me.

I'm really hoping the MM is good and serves me well. I don't have the component boxes anymore, im hoping that wont hurt the sell price much. I'm home now, so the research begins :D I ll pick my pc up Tuesday evening .

Soldato
I don't have the component boxes anymore, im hoping that wont hurt the sell price much. I'm home now, so the research begins
I've got to be careful of forum rules so i'll be brief with next advice:

Boxes help but not vital for CPU/memory - but if you haven't got them be upfront about it and be sure to take plenty of photographs - and make sure they're clear, in focus and not within a messy background (it does not instil buyer confidence seeing a dirty sock in the periphery).

The complete core upgrade makes good sense - you just have to hope that the game deal is still on by the time you buy. Ring OcUK - they may be able to give you a vague time frame. Better still, buy now if you have the funds so you don't miss the deal - speculate to accumulate as it were...

Although, prices may differ shopping around - but the games bundled with the 2600 (which is on sale) make it a bargain once you take another ~£50 off from the sale of the games...

Associate
OP
I've added all three too my basket now. I will contact OC to find out about how long the CPU deal is on for.

My current mobo has a lot of fans connected too it and sata cables as I have a hd and two ssds. Will this tomahawk mobo be able to accommodate all my stuff do you think? It's also out of stock at the moment but I ll keep an eye on it.

I will most likely order this weekend or within the week. The only harder part/stressful part is the risk of using a market I've never used before and the items not selling I guess.

I ll also order some thermal paste and that stuff you mentioned to clean off my cooler and old cpu :)

Soldato
@alexsalter3d - see my edits about the MM. i had my Free postage hat on when talking about the MM Forum. I'm afraid that the conditions for access to the MM is 1000 posts and 1 year membership. I'll look at your above post now - but want you to see this first...

Soldato
Ok, assuming you've seen my MM edit - thanks again @evohicks for pointing that out.
I've added all three too my basket now. I will contact OC to find out about how long the CPU deal is on for.
Unfortunately, no MM - unless you have an awful lot to say in General Discussion...

That said if priced sensibly the hardware and games will still sell on the bay if priced sensibly. The MM sell hardware cheaper than on the bay as we know what it's really worth - so if you price your stuff accordingly you should still sell quickly. I can give you guidance on this if needed - you would undercut the bay and know it's what you have sold in the MM (but no bay tax).

My current mobo has a lot of fans connected too it and sata cables as I have a hd and two ssds. Will this tomahawk mobo be able to accommodate all my stuff do you think? It's also out of stock at the moment but I ll keep an eye on it.
Yes, it will it has 4 fan headers on the board (you can get splitters if you need more) - and will have enough SATA connectors.

I will most likely order this weekend or within the week. The only harder part/stressful part is the risk of using a market I've never used before and the items not selling I guess.
Again, look at my edits - but the bay is a viable option but would understand your hesitancy after hyping the MM.

Back
Top Bottom