Pc failure help

Associate
Hi everyone. I built my PC sourced fully from overclockers back in like 2013 . No problems since.

Heres the specs.

i7-3770K @ 3.8GHz (Ivybridge) - Alpenfohn K2 - Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 - 16Gb DDR3 - GTX 670 - 2x 128Gb Samsung SSD - 1Tb HDD - Corsair HX 850W ATX - NZXT Switch 810 Big Tower Case - White

My issue is. It's recently started to not post and all sorts. And the only issue from years ago is that it stopped letting me access bios. But that was never a problem. So I took to too of man and he's just called me and said it's mobo failure. Now I'm all about not blowing money.

So I need a new mobo. Then I thought. I could buy the same one again? 60£ it seems.

My only question is. Is it possible for me to do that? Take out the current CPU? Slot it in the new mobo? Take off the old thermal paste? Apply new paste? Is that how it works? I presume the old paste won't come off? Can I apply ontop?

Or..... Is it the case.... That I need a new CPU as well? Hopefully not. I'm confident that the first options are doable.

I'm not too bothered about the future as I ll just run the mobo till it fails or something else fails I'm not that bothered about buying to keep up with gens and all that.

Hope you all can help. Thanks

Associate
OP
Right okay. Thanks for all your replies. Let me refine.

I've tried all that. It's still not posting. I'm not really wanting to try and find out why as I've spent enough time doing that.

Money is tight like I said I'm all about saving money. And I work 60 hours weeks. I don't have time for messing around like I used too.

I've found the same mobo for £60 when it's back in stock.

So I total it looks like I can technically solve my issue for under 100£. Which is worth it too me.

The problem is.

I haven't changed out a mobo before. That's why I'm positing now.

Thanks for all your replies so far. So what's the deal with changing a mobo out? When it comes to moving the cpu and removing the old paste or what?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nice . Thanks so much :) I kind of want to get started sooner rather than later. So might start searching for an on sale mobo that fits the cases and suits my current components if I start getting desperate.

Thanks again. Amazing fast help

Associate
OP
Wow now I'm.mega unsure what to do lol.

Now I'm not very specialized when it comes to selling used pc parts , and I'm even more unsure of the process or the process in selling those free games? I presume the games are CD? That I would just sell on eBay? Very interesting what you have provided though. I presume that's roughly a great change around for me for the cost and the new power in general that id get back? I remember when I bought my CPU at the time it being pretty good.

Associate
OP
Okay I think you are definitely onto something here. I am unaware of MM though, so I will need to research this when I'm home. So I need 50 more OC posts? I will need to research zen 2000 as well, that's new to me too.

I think I ll go with all your advise tbh. I had no idea I could sell my great but old components and end up with a pc roughly just as good as when I first built my pc... Really impressed with the advise. I havnt posted back on OC since I asked for building advise all those years ago .

Associate
OP
Thanks. I ll start reading around and posting on what interests me.

I'm really hoping the MM is good and serves me well. I don't have the component boxes anymore, im hoping that wont hurt the sell price much. I'm home now, so the research begins :D I ll pick my pc up Tuesday evening .

Associate
OP
I've added all three too my basket now. I will contact OC to find out about how long the CPU deal is on for.

My current mobo has a lot of fans connected too it and sata cables as I have a hd and two ssds. Will this tomahawk mobo be able to accommodate all my stuff do you think? It's also out of stock at the moment but I ll keep an eye on it.

I will most likely order this weekend or within the week. The only harder part/stressful part is the risk of using a market I've never used before and the items not selling I guess.

I ll also order some thermal paste and that stuff you mentioned to clean off my cooler and old cpu :)

Associate
OP
My cpu seems to be selling for above 100£ on bay. So I would presume selling it for 100£ is doable.

It's a lot too take on. I might try and amass the funds first. I am unsure tbh. One min I want to do it now. The next I want to play it fully safe lol.

Nevermind about MM then. It is what it is :p

Associate
OP
Heya. Is this AMD 3000 series something I should consider at all? Or should I stick with the basket you laid out? The zen2000 build. The 3000 looks interesting read nevertheless. I'm going to get my pc back Thursday or Saturday and then I ll take it apart and start listing the components I'm selling on the bay :D hopefully that ll help half the cost or whatever. I think from the looks of things I can spare £150 plus what the components sell for :D

Associate
OP
As long as all my data is sat safe on the HDS and ssds I don't really need it up and running tbh.

I am quite set on the basket you listed, I think it's a nice little project. I think my first aim is to list/sell my parts end of next week to begin with, so that's then done with.

Then it will be a case of keeping an eye on the part prices and this zen2 or 3 thing. Im going to read up on the zen builds and what they mean this morning

Associate
OP
People seem to be terming things zen zen+ and zen2000

I'm glad the new motherboard will be able to handle the future CPUs, is that something your confident in the motherboard being able to handle such a thing?

Associate
OP
Okay just picked up the PC and got it home. Always a bit of a struggle with the big guy.

Had a chat with the pc man and all his info matched up with oc advice which is good. Then after some convo. I brought up the mobo reccomended to buy. He said it's good. He said mobo is important and not to buy cheap, he recommended 50-200£ for a mobo generally. Or in my case anyway let's say.

I had no idea about this next bit... He then started taking about mobos and M2 or something. And educated me on th fact that you can buy like a HD chip or whatever and slot it on the mobo M2 slot or whatever. So like on board HD, so OS runs off that and aids efficiency , I thought that's pretty awesome and never heard about that before. Bare on mind. I'd probably not ever even notice the difference but I'd like to have 128gig of onboard space purely just for the OS. I'd probably notice some difference as my current sad is close to full with the OS on. 250gig 20gig left or whatever.

And as I'd have a new mobo, I'd be able tofl finally access the bios. So that means I'd be able to put an os on the M2 thing and boot from there I presume and then sort out my other ssd with the old OS and data on.

It's an option from the sounds of it anyway.

So now the pc is back. And I'm to lay it out and start the year down and clean. And I guess wait till July... But if the release takes long then July I don't know what I ll do . It's a doable distance to wait .. so I think..... Lol

Associate
OP
The tomahawk you mentioned seems to come with the M2 if im correct, so I guess that's a nice benefit. He said the onboard HD is quite quite too. But nevertheless that would be a challenge or interesting task id take on at a later date.

The tomahawk appears to be pcie3.

There's a chance I ll grow impacient

I think one of the tough main parts. Will be when the new mobo comes. And I need to re-hook up all the plugs again. But I don't think it'll be too hard, I ll just relearn what means what and just start linking everything, fan plug by fan plug lol.

The only thing I'm worried about is if it ll actually fit the pc case and the build it general, with the k2 in there as well , but the mobo build looks similar and slim so I can't seeing it being a problem. I've just got to make sure that the thick power cables can still reach and bend round to powert board but I'm sure it ll be fine.

In my type of situation where money is a factor but price Vs value is respected, is there any mobo slightly higher up than the tomahawk that you mentioned, that you would reccomend for a slightly higher budget? The tomahawk is 99£ , so maybe 150? 150-200.

I'm tempted to get the zen+ a mobo and the ram you said. Maybe even just the tomahawk. And then upgrade next year like you said. I guess I'd sell the 2600 at that point .

Associate
OP
I mean, if the zen+ is as good as my current CPU I may not even need to upgrade? I honestly don't run high end games or anything on it anymore , I just like living on a desktop tbh.

It begins! https://imgur.com/gallery/vSE5GkH
vSE5GkH

Associate
OP
Thank you for your fast help.

When you mentioned WiFi, do you mean like built in WiFi on the mobo? I am old school and prefer ethernet in that case :D

I really am so undecided lol. I'm going to spend a good few days fully breaking pc down and cleaning it. Unplugging and wrapping everything up separately like they were when they were all bought. Then I ll be able to assemble bit by bit. The problem is. When everything's clean and organised, and I've spent effort on it I'm going to want to spend out more no doubt lol. The man said mobo is one of the most important pieces though. So I don't think I'm going to mind investing in a good motherboard. I want to be assured in a good mobo. I'm annoyed my last one failed. But i don't think it's been fully working for years tbh, or slightly faulty

I might be wrong but I get the feeling you were the guy that helped advise me on building and buying my pc lol 6-7 years ago on this same fourm lol

Rebuild: images: https://postimg.cc/gallery/fkv49ouy/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am definitely keeping zen2 in mind. I'm confident in going for the zen+ setup that you advised over the 2600. As long as your confident in a 99£ board then I will go ahead in the future. To me it doesn't feel expensive enough. That is purely probably just my lack of knowledge. Maybe I'm lucky and it's just great value. And tbh.... If it konked out even after warranty. It's only 99£.

I am very much a supporter of wired connections like ethernet over wi-fi tbh. I've emailed them about the K2 as well. I'm hoping the current k2 intel bracket would work? But I'm thinking not so.

I'm sorry if I blab a lot. It's rare I get chance to talk and ask about all this stuff haha. I try with my wife and she just zones out lol

My rig has 14 fans. It's a pure air cooling rig. When I built it I added all these plastic meshes and taped them hard onto each fan. (See images below) with the intention of reducing dust invasion. And look at the amount of dust that's been kept at bay! Lol!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2disu5jiy/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Maybe the vrms died on my old board.

The Rog looks super but I don't want to burden myself if it's a struggle to get running. I'm presuming when I've bought all the new components it's pretty much just going to be a simple plug everything up. Then go into bios and tell it which ssd to boot from then that's it?

What will take the time I'm guessing is remembering what cable goes where.

So your saying it goes rog. Then MSI carbon then tomahawk? Or the 2nd two might be the same actually

For the fans, it's not noisey, just a quiet humm. I'm not a fan of water cooled systems. I'm a fanboy.

The fans are positioned so the ones at the front of th pc suck in. The ones on the base of the pc suck in if I remember correctly. Back of the pc fans suck out. Fans inside the pc suck inwards further and then upwards. Fans on top of the pc push upwards. The filters on the fans on the top of the pc are taped on their outer sides. Lots of cleaning of fans this weekend lol

The Rog seems to have a HDMI display port and a single dp. My have two screens. Ones hdmi. Ones DVI. I've worked out that dp means display port. But unsure if my DVI cable for my screen would fit their Rog dp port so far

It appears that with a quick Google. The Rog is 116£ 25% off at the moment plus 14£ postage. From alza

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm not good with the lingo lol. PITA? also spilitters and mobo headers. But I think I know the second and third. I think I have like 4 fans directly plugged into the mobo. But the main body of those same type connections seems to all be plugged into like a central plug in area of the other side of the case. There is velcrow. I've took a picture. Some sort of large power cable seems to connect to it and go to the PSU I think.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jo8q9d3u/

What I mean about the display ports is. Ive checked a few images and as of yet can't get close to the ports of the Rog. To see if there is a white DVI cable port for my secondary screen. My first monitor is HD but the second I own is DVI cable not hd. I ll try get a better view on ports.

It really seems great value. Are we allowed to post market links? If not can I one way or another get you to give the market site/product an overlook before I plan to commit to it?

Do you not like the humming? I honestly don't mind it, Im kinda one of those that wants a sound. You know like with a big car engine? Maybe that's the reason : p, although I could be wrong. I don't drive or anything haha. I just like hearing it whirl up.

Things are looking good so far. I think I'm happy with the parts now. Do you know anything about pc cases? Are they like universal and have holes to accept most modern mobos? I'm not too sure how strict all these parts are which can be used with which.

K2 people havnt emailed back yet. Im unsure if I even want the k2 anymore lol. Bit annoyed that it can't even be used again. Is that because I'm moving from intel to the other? Oh I forgot. The k2 uses two big fans that I forgot to mention as part of the fan count haha

Here are some close ups of what I'm looking at now. Going to start taking more out now. Slowly getting more excited. As soon as I've checked all comparability issues, I could probably order this weekend tbh. Might order it too arrive at work. Not sure yet

https://postimg.cc/gallery/dflkaaai/

What's your pc like?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In all honesty I can't remember lol, I do remember some sort of fan speed control I did when I built it back in 2013, but tbh I think they have all just been running at max normal fan speed from the start, it's kinda what I wanted them for tbh. Another way of saying it would be , I don't ever recall the fans ever regulating their speeds. But the bios died and stopped letting me on like 2014 , so all fan and bios messing around stuff I stopped bothering with. I think I used all fan slots that the mobo offered that were free. And then the hub at the back powered by the molex to the PSU I used about 3/4s of that. I didn't from the looks of it use any splitters on any of the mobo fan slots.

Would it be a good idea for me to look into fan regulation with the next build? I will if it's not too much trouble. I saw on the Rog that it has mini board fans! I think.

The Rog should come with the stand off screws and all that. So I guess as long as it's securely on, should be fine. There seems to be like spacers or something with my current mobo with its screws, maybe plastic. I can't tell. I ll check it out more when that part comes out

Sorry about the visual port questions, I forgot the last like 15 years and thought my monitor cables all plug In to ports offered by the mobo lol! It's been a long day

I ll have to check out these brass upright screws this weekend. Should be fine, I mean it's not a mega old case tbh

I'm not sure if the two k2 fans were connected to the mobo or the hub tbh. Or might have even been a mixture , I've forgot lol. I don't think I ran a fan curve

Man it's expensive. Probably looking at like 400£ before selling stuff lol. Sliver thermal paste and compressed air. I didn't know you had to reapply the paste. I'm going to focus on just ram CPU and board for now I think, and the extra tiny bits.

I'm working 6-10am tomorrow and then walk into town then i have the rest of the day from lunch to do a mega clean and sort out :D .

Tbh I ran the pc hard over its life I'm surprised the PSU is doing fine. My old pc through my teens , it's PSU died before anything else

Back
Top Bottom