Pc for streaming and gaming

Associate
Helllppp!!! I have recently inherited my step dads gaming pc I have posted the build I have below, I am a streamer and avid gamer but recently I keep getting messages saying over clocking failed (when the pc boots up) I have flashed the motherboard and turned the settings down to normal but now when I try to stream and play the game it becomes insanely laggy! Any ideas on how to fix this or how to optimise it for both gaming and streaming

Thank you!!!

NZXT H440 MID-TOWER BLACK/RED GAMING case

Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache

Motherboard

ASUS® X99-S: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s

Memory (RAM)

16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X PREDATOR QUAD-DDR4 3000MHz X.M.P (4 x 4GB)

Graphics Card

4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 - 1 DVI, 1 mini HDMI, 3 mini DisplayPort - 3D Vision Ready

1st Hard Disk

240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (up to 555MB/s Read | 510MB/s Write)

2nd Hard Disk

2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE

Power Supply

CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QU

Processor Cooling

Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Sound Card

ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Welcome to the forums.

You need to re-introduce the clock again.

What was it clocked to before you wiped it with the BIOS update?

Did your step-dad apply the clock himself or was it pre-applied on a custom build from a shop?

Additional: Do you have any idea what your temps were (CPU) when you started getting the overclock warning?

Would be interesting to know the load temps now at stock too.

Thank you!

It came standard and my step dad didn't do anything with it either the only thing I ever did was set it to performance instead of power saving in the bios when I flashed it I put it back on that setting again (also ran the Asus profile for gaming and media editing) and it still does the same thing.

Thanks for this!

Temp was around 30c :)
I need load temps.

You didn't have an overclock, unless you were using software and didn't realise it - Asus Profile for gaming; was that motherboard software?.

Run a stress test on your CPU and report back temps - prime 95 will be perfect for this. You may be experiencing thermal problems.

Yeah that is Asus software in the bios

How would I get the load temp? The temperature it displayed on the bios menu was 32c if I'm remembering correctly I will get my wife to run the test and get the temps I am at work at the moment

Thank you again!

Download Core Temp and then have that open while you run prime95.

Run small ffts (in prime 95) and that will stress the CPU and show up any heat problems immediately if you have any.

Report back.

Also if it wasn't overclocked how would I go about doing it? With out blowing it up of course haha

You need to ask your step-dad if the system was clocked.

Also, we need to ascertain that the system is stable at stock - if it wasn't clocked then you may have a slight issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game seems to run okay on its own when I stream thats when the lag kicks in. So I'm guessing it may be a cpu issue?
Streaming is very CPU intensive - so if your CU was throttling you would certainly notice the effect when streaming.

Could be something else too though - but the 'overclock failure warning' is too coincidental.

But, never rule anything out...

Haha I am work I've asked my wife to download prime95 and core temp the pc logged in then came up with it needs to restart and gave that code it's working now... I wish it would make it's mind up

Haha I am work I've asked my wife to download prime95 and core temp the pc logged in then came up with it needs to restart and gave that code it's working now... I wish it would make it's mind up
That's a lot of cooks - and you're wife isn't going to thank you for running stress tests and then reporting back.

Wait till you're home - and post again. I or someone else will see your post.

These tests are far better done with the user in front of the PC - especially as you may need to terminate the test.

Plus, you do seem to have an issue - and it's better that it's reported/described first hand. Otherwise we could easily misinterpret/miss something.

Back
Top Bottom