• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Associate
It would be ironic if AMD’s attempt at creating a budget 4GB card miners don’t want ends up as a card not only gamers don’t want but also can’t afford! :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
What a disaster gpu

AMD is going to get an absolute spanking by reviewers later this weeek, popcorn and Mountain Dew is ready, bring on the rage

Associate
Its important to remember that this is a review of the 5500XT. I'm still optimistic, and have hope that they know what they are doing.

I also think people vastly underestimate how many gamers burn out their GTX760 every day, and all they want is something cheap and functional to plug in.

These pre-release prices are concerning though.

Soldato
*sigh*, go watch MLID about the cherry picking that is going to happen. Literally he has already said it, and you are doing it. For a card that isnt even out yet.

What cherry picking, HUB tested a range of games and showed 4GB vram is not enough for 1080p gaming

Soldato
OP
I don't see why a 4GB RX 5500 should behave any different than a 4GB RX 6500 when on PCI-E 3.0 x4. It's the same bottleneck. If your game wants to use system memory to compensate for the lack of VRAM, your limit is the PCIE bus. 4GB means you hit that bottleneck more frequently.

This is another RX 5500 test. https://www.techspot.com/review/2396-pcie-bandwidth-test/

If you're on PCI-E 3.0 it's a major limitation and there is no reason whatsoever why the RX 6500 is going to be any different. The combination of 4GB and PCIE 3.0 x4 knackers it in a way that wouldn't happen if you had either a x8 bus, a PCIE 4.0 bus or 8GB VRAM.

Soldato
OP
I wonder if the x4 is a GPU limitation or board limitation? As in, could AIBs exercise a bit of freedom and engineer a much better graphics card out of these? It looks like either moving up to 8GB or making it a x8 card would massively improve things, in cases the pci-e bus bottleneck is being hit.

Back
Top Bottom