PC Gaming is Slowly Destroying Itself

I still have 20 years of back catalogue to get through and that's only on steam:(

What's his point in the video?

Last edited:
I still have 20 years of back catalogue to get through and that's only on steam:(

What's his point in the video?
I suspect his point is things in gaming arent as good as they used to be /getoffmylawn/ifitwasntforthosepeskykids

Where as the reality is that things in gaming havent changed much at all, there, as with looking backwards at anything, is a degree of rose tinted monitors going on. I recently replayed, for a laugh, some of the games that I played in the 80's and 90s, games which I adored at the time, games that I have long said with smiling face and memberberries strong "do you remember such and such !! What a game !" , however playing them again now...to be quite blunt, they were pants. The actual gameplay I mean, was pants.

In summary, imo, gaming isnt destroying itself, gaming isnt dying, gaming isnt worse than ever, but then I guess nobody wants to click on a youtube video thats titled "Guys, everythings fine" :)

He looks barely 20. I suppose it is a click bait title. I had an Amiga in the 90s and played UFO enemy unknown (on PC) recently. It was glorious, many of the games haven't aged well though, you're quite right. I keep meaning to replay the lucasarts puzzle games when stuck with the inlaws. 80s was spectrum for me. My first pc was late 90s.

In summary, imo, gaming isnt destroying itself, gaming isnt dying, gaming isnt worse than ever, but then I guess nobody wants to click on a youtube video thats titled "Guys, everythings fine" :)

Exactly this. Gaming is as healthy today as its ever been and this is reflected in the big budget £100m+ budgets of AAA games now. Big corpo's dont do that unless there is a reasonable chance on that return.
Yes there huge flops like Concord, Suicide Squad and Star Wars Outlaws but those are primarily to do with product quality and mismanagement rather than a wider reflection on the state of the industry.

The only difference is that now there is legions of random, click hungry screen yellers are on the hunt for the next drama and an excuse to create content.
What I see when I've watched some of these types of videos in the past is that most of the times the drama is that there is no drama but the creator community needs something to milk so creating something out of nothing might give them a teet to tug for a few weeks.

If only YouTube could destroy itself most things would be better.

PC gaming 30 years here and still enjoy it when I can.

I was wondering when this thread would rear it's head this year.

PC gaming is not dying.

Yes there are plenty of **** games, but there are also plenty of great games. There are more games in general than there were 20 years ago, so of course there will be more **** ones.

Nothing to see here, move along (same time next year I guess?).

Overpriced hardware the lack of optimisation and the reliance of upscaling and FG.

Then there is all the DEI and Wokeness in western games as devs are scared to offend anyone so we get dumbed down storylines.

Then there is all the DEI and Wokeness in western games as devs are scared to offend anyone so we get dumbed down storylines.
The thing with the wokeness is that a game can have woke elements and still be a darned fun game to play. I mean, if we're talking about how games were supposedly better in the earlier days (thus indicating that gaming is worse now), just take one of the , if not THE, highest rated games of yesteryear. Jet Set Willy. A game where the storyline was that your maid wont let you go to bed until you've tidied your house up. I mean, its hardly award winning narrative is it :D

Overpriced hardware the lack of optimisation and the reliance of upscaling and FG.

What is wrong with a reliance on up-scaling and FG if it provides a better experience?

What is wrong with a reliance on up-scaling and FG if it provides a better experience?
Upscaling is decent enough provided you have a recent Nvidia GPU but frame gen is absolute garbage and that’s coming from a 4090 owner so the best possible scenario. Lucky I can run without it for now but feel for those on lesser GPU that are probably not even hitting 60fps without.
It's not overpriced if one gets value from it.
If toilet paper cost £20 a roll you’d get value from it but doesn’t mean it’s not overpriced.

If toilet paper cost £20 a roll you’d get value from it but doesn’t mean it’s not overpriced.
If countries keep lobbing bombs at each other the way they are at the moment, it might well not be much longer before toilet paper does cost £20 :)

Back
Top Bottom