• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Graphics won't improve for 3-4 years.

Associate
RAGE isn't being targeted to a specific platform as such - the streaming nature of the engine means they can build a game - let the tools do the work - and it should look nice and run well on a wide range of platforms... if you look closely at the way its running on consoles it will be a bit blocky/low-res textures compared to PC.

There is an interview on Edge website with John Carmack about this

“Or then there’d be the idea possibly of having some super-platinum edition on the PC that’s just an incredibly rich dataset, if somebody doesn’t mind putting out 60 gigs or something for it.”

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
Advances in ray casting and tracing will be seen in future games, but not until the generation after next... and we won't see full on raytracing for awhile it will be used for specific effects and areas where it can boost whats possible/performance i.e. dealing with advanced terrain.

Associate
HDMI 1080P on a decent 50" plasma looks good enough, never mind the eye candy you can only dribble over the GFX for so long. what about the games! now when FF7 was released the game was just awsome. did we mind the little blocky GFX? no we didnt as the game was just awsome.

Iam looking forward to the new FF released next year, but some game dev's should also look backward, I would love to play FF7 with Next gen GFX. why not return to some older games and rework the GFX to be uptodate.

FF7 12 years old! WOW

It feels like I have been waiting an eternity for the new FF.

Totally agree with your points here :)

Soldato
and another big load of bs from you. from steam hardware survey : 45% of systems are Vista + Win7 + DX10 gpu and 27% are Windows xp + dx10 gpu so thats 70% of the rigs have a dx10 gpu installed

There are gamers who don't have steam installed, because they avoid it.

Soldato
Yep i only had it because of half life 2, then modern warfare 2 forced me to run it, then i saw the christmas deal for the thq pack. My view of it before was an overpriced piece of crap :) If all games functioned on it (as in could download whether it was on the steam list or not) then id think it was a fantastic tool.

Associate
Im actually pretty happy at the level of realism now. I would be happy with the standard of graphics in L4D2 (with its slightly more cartoony look) with new games, new ideas and good solid story lines. Hell I love the styling of TF2 as it is somewhat timeless.

As things verge closer to photo realism, which they will do eventually, I do think I would feel a bit odd shooting someone in a game like CoD4, just seems a bit eery.

Last edited:
Associate
3D graphics were always going to progress slower and slower as time went on.

We got the big things... more polygons, lighting, bumpmapping, HDR etc. They came gradually, until we now ultimately have a full set of tools. We've had these tools for a couple of years now and changes are going to be small from now on, that big leap we got every generation isn't going to happen again. I'm not saying we can't improve massively, but the changes will be small over time. Things like tesselation and more light sources are great, but they arn't going to radically change the way we see games anytime soon, they are just a small piece of the pie.

We're at a point now where art direction seems to be the key in creating the "wow" factor. We're no longer limited by the game engines as much. For example, has anyone tried the TOD mods for Crysis and seen the huge improvement in graphics quality? It looks significantly better and it purely an improvement over the stock art direction.

And the next step for me to create that realism, above some extra lights or polygons, is animation based on physics. Pre-canned animations, and watching guys ice skate over surfaces breaks that feeling of involvement. How many times have you shot a guy 20 times with no reaction from him, apart from perhaps an occasional pre-canned "hit" animation, until he finally keels over in one of 5 randomly assigned death animations based on the last hit point you shot?

As much as the Grandtheft Auto 4 engine physics were a bit weird at times, I liked the effort they put in to it. Shoot a guy in the foot and watch it fall out from under him like he actually felt it.

Associate
maybe developers can start to focus on good AI now then? we have enough processing power left over after rendering the games.... put some of that time into making smart ai :)

Associate
maybe developers can start to focus on good AI now then? we have enough processing power left over after rendering the games.... put some of that time into making smart ai :)

Definately another point which could use some development above graphics right now.

I sometimes feel first person shooters are like whack-a-mole games. You clear an area and one guy remains behind his cover, taking pot shots at you. You know that guy will pop his head up over the barrier in a couple of seconds... you look around for other victims, none are left...damn it, missed the blighter peaking over his oil drum. You hover the mouse over where you know his head will pop up... BAM... area cleared. Dumb as roaches.

Soldato
Curious to know whether there's a game which looks better than Crysis?

Even the new STALKER game using some tessellation doesn't look as good.

Associate
I have steam but have never bothered with their survey and neither has anyone i know so hardly a conclusive piece of system statistic is it.
Everyone I talk to bothers with it.... mainly because it's a yes/no box, which I haven't seen for ages... so I assume it's now automatic :)

Soldato
I remember when Half Life 2 came out the enviroment was fantastic, you also didn't need a super computer to run it. i think it's really a question of whether you want a game that's smooth and has really good AI without having Low FPS, or weather you want a game with very high detail and having the frustration of having it lag every 5 secs that you get shot/killed before you see the AI. i find that most developers concerntrate to much on detail than gameplay, look at Farcry 2 for example they tried to make it lifelike but the gameplay was shabby.
. killed a checkpoint then coming back to it 5 secs later to kill them again.
. going half way across a map, get killed then start all the way from the beginning.
. AI was rubbish.
. Spend most of your time in a vehicle, than shooting.

Games like Doom2/ Duke Nukem ect.. was just plain awsome and loads of fun.

Associate
Nothing new here really, PC gaming graphics rarely take a big leap forward, I mean lets look back and see what we've had:

Crysis (2007)
FC/D3/HL2 (2004)
NOLF2/Mafia? (2002)
Q3 (1999)
They're lesser leaps, but what about Oblivion in 2006 and FEAR in 2005? And CoD in 2003, for that matter.

I definitely think the rate of advancement has slowed down, which is evidenced by the lack of change in system requirements.

Caporegime
I would say MOH:AA in Jan 2002 was a large step up for visuals as well, i remember watching the first footage of that and was gobsmacked at the level of detail it had. Hasn't exactly aged well but for its time it looked stunning.

Also can someone fill e in on what raytracing is so "omgomgomgomgomg", ive read up on it and seen some pics of it working but i just don't see anything that reaches out and slaps me one.

Soldato
I would say MOH:AA in Jan 2002 was a large step up for visuals as well, i remember watching the first footage of that and was gobsmacked at the level of detail it had. Hasn't exactly aged well but for its time it looked stunning.

Also can someone fill e in on what raytracing is so "omgomgomgomgomg", ive read up on it and seen some pics of it working but i just don't see anything that reaches out and slaps me one.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...mage_result&resnum=6&ct=image&ved=0CBwQ9QEwBQ

the pictures in that thread look pretty impressive to me... Because light hits objects as they would in the real world the scene looks "real". Just google it a bit more, theres some pretty basic pictures out there which show the idea and then there are full on ones that give examples such as lotro etc.

Back
Top Bottom