PC Laggy after upgrade

Soldato
Wow another AMD CPU mouse, audio, graphics lag thread.

I tried to helped other OP from other thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/mouse-lag-choppy-audio-choppy-graphics.18963485/ but not heard from OP so I guess OP had enough and opened window to throw out most expensive PC with Threadripper 1900X.

I am still at loss how to fix AMD CPU lag issues that could caused by buggy FTPM, chipset driver, USB driver or AGESA bugs.

Maybe it is USB ports issue?

OP comment about CPU USB and CPU provided 4 USB 3.0 ports made no sense. Accorded to B450I GAMING PLUS AC manual stated:

AMD® CPU
4x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (2 Type-A
ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the
internal USB 3.1 Gen1 connector)

It seemed OP fixed issue by connected keyboard and mouse USB cables to 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports AMD CPU used these ports.

³ Ryzen CPUs also provide four USB 10Gbps ports

I read ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING manual found:

Rear USB (Total 8 ports)
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (1 x Type-A + 1 x Type-C®)
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (4 x Type-A)
2 x USB 2.0 ports (2 x Type-A)
Front USB (Total 6 ports)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 header supports additional 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB 2.0 ports

Which ports did you connected your keyboard and mouse?

Try connect your keyboard and mouse cables to 2 of 4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports that CPU likely used.

Really hopefully that will fix your issue.

If it will not fix issue. Try download MSI mode utility V3.

Associate
OP
gpu looks good and running at correct link speed, which motherboard do you have as looking at your latest scrren shot its normal for 1 to be at 90 as there is a sensor bug on most boards but to have a few that are high raises eyebrows a bit

Asus Rog Strix b550-a gaming

Soldato
Asus Rog Strix b550-a gaming
yeah somethings up with those other high temps your seeing on the sensors, asus do have a bug which makes one sensor alway run stupid hot (90-115) but its nothing to worry about, how's case airflow, do the lag issues raise there head when idle browsing in windows or it it under load when running a game or a bit of both?
can you see what your cpu speed is doing and try to capture its clocks around the time the lag kicks in, just wanna rule out a thermal problem, unlikley but i have to ask to be sure

Associate
OP
So it went very laggy when i had open, a webbased game in chrome and photoshop (photoshop had nothing loaded in)

CPU usage at the time was between 3-11% and I have attacked my CPU info at the time below

cputemps.jpg

1 thing I am wondering is... the gfx card is wider than the motherboard and is very very close to some of the heatsinks on the board, so could the graphics card heat be warming up the motherboard and it causing it to slow down?

Associate
OP
In hardwareinfo did you see your CPU clock speed drop to 229mhz at any stage if so your mainboard may be getting too hot under load, the vrms most likely

I didnt notice it drop that low, i only started really watching the CPU info when it started to feel laggy, before that it was just minimized so I could quickly open it up when needed...

if this is the issue... what is the likely cause? and fix?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How full is the SSD with the pagefile? Did you re-enable DOCP / XMP?

m.2 drive 1 (Windows drive and a few key bits of software), has 667gb free of 1tb
m.2 drive 2 (few installed of other software a few games) has 700gb+ free of 1tb

all other drives are currently disconnected...

As for DOCP / XMP I'm pretty sure it was one of the first things I checked, and I'm sure it was activated but I will double check

Associate
OP
Wow another AMD CPU mouse, audio, graphics lag thread.

I tried to helped other OP from other thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/mouse-lag-choppy-audio-choppy-graphics.18963485/ but not heard from OP so I guess OP had enough and opened window to throw out most expensive PC with Threadripper 1900X.

I am still at loss how to fix AMD CPU lag issues that could caused by buggy FTPM, chipset driver, USB driver or AGESA bugs.

Maybe it is USB ports issue?

OP comment about CPU USB and CPU provided 4 USB 3.0 ports made no sense. Accorded to B450I GAMING PLUS AC manual stated:

It seemed OP fixed issue by connected keyboard and mouse USB cables to 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports AMD CPU used these ports.

I read ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING manual found:

Which ports did you connected your keyboard and mouse?

Try connect your keyboard and mouse cables to 2 of 4 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports that CPU likely used.

Really hopefully that will fix your issue.

If it will not fix issue. Try download MSI mode utility V3.

Sorry i have only jsut seen this....my mouse and keyboard go into a USB 3 hub, but the hub is connected to one of the USB 3 ports on the back, but this wasn't a issue before, so not sure why the USB issue would suddenly happen after upgrading a few bits of hardware?

Associate
OP
*** i Think I've fixed it***

Ok, so getting home at 4am from work and deciding to open up the PC case didn't seem like a good idea at the time BUT I think I may have just fixed the issue...
So I decided to concentrate on my 3rd monitor flickering and going fuzzy like an out-of-tune tv... I felt this must have been related to the issues I was having somewhere, So I started off testing my old gfx card and the issues still remained, I then got my hands amongst all the cables and pulled out all SATA data cables, it seemed to work, but only briefly, i decided to connect 1 sata data cable to my SSD and the motherboard, and it stopped working again (the display), so taking that 1 cable out and the problem still remained... I tried resitting the gfx card, .... the problem still remained i was stressed, very stressed

i then decided to check all the power cable modules that were plugged into the PSU, as I pushed on them all I heard a click like one wasn't in properly DOH!, IT WORKS, all seems to be working at the moment, no weird lags YET, no flickering, fuzzy screen... I can only think when i was moving data cables about i must have dislodged it more...

The 3 high temps on the motherboard still remain but they were instantly high when turning on the computer so I think it may just be a bug between HW Monitor and my motherboard...
so far so good, i will continue to monitor the situation... if i have any further issues i will let all know, if it goes a good few days with no issues i will also let you all know.

thank you to everyone that's given advice, it was certainly a massive help!

Soldato
*** i Think I've fixed it***

Ok, so getting home at 4am from work and deciding to open up the PC case didn't seem like a good idea at the time BUT I think I may have just fixed the issue...
So I decided to concentrate on my 3rd monitor flickering and going fuzzy like an out-of-tune tv... I felt this must have been related to the issues I was having somewhere, So I started off testing my old gfx card and the issues still remained, I then got my hands amongst all the cables and pulled out all SATA data cables, it seemed to work, but only briefly, i decided to connect 1 sata data cable to my SSD and the motherboard, and it stopped working again (the display), so taking that 1 cable out and the problem still remained... I tried resitting the gfx card, .... the problem still remained i was stressed, very stressed

i then decided to check all the power cable modules that were plugged into the PSU, as I pushed on them all I heard a click like one wasn't in properly DOH!, IT WORKS, all seems to be working at the moment, no weird lags YET, no flickering, fuzzy screen... I can only think when i was moving data cables about i must have dislodged it more...

The 3 high temps on the motherboard still remain but they were instantly high when turning on the computer so I think it may just be a bug between HW Monitor and my motherboard...
so far so good, i will continue to monitor the situation... if i have any further issues i will let all know, if it goes a good few days with no issues i will also let you all know.

thank you to everyone that's given advice, it was certainly a massive help!

completly looked over the psu tbh, but yeah if a cable wasnt plugged in right then that would cause slowups as your components need more power and the disloged cable proberly would have gotten quite hot, due to not being plugged in i'm amazed it was still working as a gpu not conected right would flash up at the bios screen saying connect auxiliary power, did you notice which cable clicked in? i would suspect the gpu most likley as you did swap out to a new card.

go ahead and reconnect all you drives and check psu cables, but from the looks of it you fixed it :)

Associate
OP
completly looked over the psu tbh, but yeah if a cable wasnt plugged in right then that would cause slowups as your components need more power and the disloged cable proberly would have gotten quite hot, due to not being plugged in i'm amazed it was still working as a gpu not conected right would flash up at the bios screen saying connect auxiliary power, did you notice which cable clicked in? i would suspect the gpu most likley as you did swap out to a new card.

go ahead and reconnect all you drives and check psu cables, but from the looks of it you fixed it :)

I didnt see when i pressed them in which they were, but I have looked at a diagram of my PSU as I knew where the click happened and it looks like it was one of the PCIe cables.... the GPU uses 2 x 8 pins, I did both 8 pins off separate rails instead of running both 8pins from the same rail... i must have plugged the loose one into the old GPU also when I tested that...

saying that windows has just updated my driver and messed up my GPU again, but at least this is a much more simple fix :D

thanks again for your help!

Associate
OP
***UPDATE***
Laggy computer started again yesterday, only had 2 things open, Chrome and game called RIse of Kingdoms, which essentially is a mobile app...

I've opted to do a full reinstall of windows and see if it helps, been trying to put it off as it takes me weeks to get my computer back how I like it but I think it needs to be done now :(

will keep all updated

Associate
OP
Full install of windows done, Still feels laggy, im at a total loss with this now, not even sure where to look anymore :(

Man of Honour
only seems to be laggy when i have applications open, but games run fine

You do know that 'mobile' games played with browsers can be huge memory leaks/sinks, right? (especially if played for long periods, regardless of what their memory usage appears to be)

Associate
OP
You do know that 'mobile' games played with browsers can be huge memory leaks/sinks, right? (especially if played for long periods, regardless of what their memory usage appears to be)
yea im not just getting it with mobile games now, like atm I just have chrome open (2 tabs), just browsing and I can feel it going laggy

Associate
OP
Ok....
i ran latencyMon and it had about 15000 Pagefault counts after 6mins of running...

so I found a registry fix to disable windows defender and stopped any auto scans etc...
i also found the suggestion of disabling whichever network device I don't use, I'm normally cabled into the router but I thought id disable that device and go wireless to try this.

i now only have just over 800 pagefaults counts in 11mins, System doesn't feel as laggy (so Far)...

il see how this goes and update accordingly...
***EDIT*** after restarting my PC the numbers went higher than before, 40000 in 10mins of logging :( computer back to being laggy.... I'm about ready to just throw this in the bin tbh :(

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right....... i think i have sorted it now... (famous last words i guess)

i stripped all the pc down, cleaned everything, and rebuilt it....

while rebuilding it i noticed my motherboard had an 8 pin & a 4 pin CPU connection, i had only got the 8-pin connection in (the manual says to use either 8pin or 8pin and 4pin, also i only used 1 x 8pin before the upgrade), i remember when putting in the new PSU that it only came with 2 x 8pin modules so i decided to only use the 8pin without the 4pin, i ordered a 4pin cable and connected that and the computer at the moment, feels nice and responsive...

after all this messaging about it i think it was just because i had no 4pin connector connected..... I feel rather stupid right now, but i do hope this is the reason and it stays working as it currently is

Associate
Some sites give a lot of lag with me with chrome but the same sites on firefox do not, ive had the same page in Chrome use up 80% of my CPU but on firefox under 5%, if you get slow downs again check CPU usage whilst you are on the tab for the game you are playing.

Back
Top Bottom