PC P&C PSU removed?

Soldato
Ha ha ha ha ha :D

I think there's something to be said for building the cooling system around the psu rather than building the psu around the fan. 80mm straight through or 120mm with a 90 degree turn? I think I like the first idea more. I'm amused that so many people condemn them because they've used a smaller fan.

They use a 3 blade delta in the psu I've got, I don't think I could find a higher quality 80mm fan for sale. Certainly I looked and didn't manage it. I don't think its loud, but then I'm not drawing anything close to 800W from it so it's basically idling all the time.

Perhaps the Z series will catch up, but now I'm not convinced. Very sad that they no longer sell in Europe, and angry with ocz for this decision. I will probably import one if my turbo cool ever kicks the bucket.

The problem is the unit wasn't designed for a 80mm fan, PCP&C's minor layout changes were not enough. I'll think you'll find a slow 120mm fan is more than enough to cool a highly efficient 850w PSU.

We condemn them cause it's loud and no better than the 120mm fan it replaced.

CSA

CSA

Associate
It is rather loud , ive just bought the one greebo sold and whilst is seems to be a very high quality PSU i really want to go quieter as im moving my pc into the living room to use as a HTPC so even though ive only had it a day im selling it :( :(

I'd say its about as loud as a stock fan on a graphics card , but i have a neo vortexx on my 4850 so its very quiet and the hum from the PSU is getting alittle annoying and im sat right next to it at shoulder height

Soldato
This is strange, it's not very similar to my experience with it at all. My computer spends most of its time with one s-flex at 7V and the psu fan, and it's really very quiet. That said, I know noise is subjective and I do live fairly near a road, plus the fan is probably spinning at its lowest setting in my system.

I'm interested in your reasoning Sasahara, the unit certainly doesn't look like it ever had a 120mm fan in mind. I'm not an electronic engineer granted, but I've taken mine apart and the inside looks ideally set up for an 80mm

Caporegime
I can vouch that it was the noisest psu I have ever owned but I have a passive system so it really stood out. Of course, once I fired up the case and radiator fans I then couldn't hear the psu at all.

Soldato
the unit certainly doesn't look like it ever had a 120mm fan in mind. I'm not an electronic engineer granted, but I've taken mine apart and the inside looks ideally set up for an 80mm
That's because they changed heatsinks to ones better fitting to airflow direction.
PCB and component layout/positioning of Silencer 750W is exactly same as was in S12E+/M12 models.
Same for that 910W Silencer:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=157
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=165

Talking about ripple Seasonic's new very high efficiency X-platfrom seems to have masochistic behavior of going just getting better with load:
The DC Output Quality of the X-750 presents us with something of an interesting case as the results are very good but "backwards" from what we are used to seeing in a traditionally designed PSU. Typically the ripple/noise values of a unit increase with load, but that was not the case with the X-750's 12v rail. No, this unit actually started out at its highest value of 35mV and then dropped to ~10mV as it was more heavily loaded.

Back
Top Bottom