PC P&C PSU removed?

Soldato
The PC Power & Cooling silencers are rebadged Seasonics with crappy 80mm fans.

If you like them go direct and buy a Seasonic or another of their rebranded PSUs like the XFX or Corsair HX 650W and they have 120mm fans. :)

Caporegime

If you like them go direct and buy a Seasonic or another of their rebranded PSUs like the XFX or Corsair HX 650W and they have 120mm fans. :)

Err not quite true though is it? Yes, the oem who makes the psu for PCP&C are indeed Seasonic for this model but they make psu's for lots of people. Just the same as other oem.

It does not mean that it is "rebadged". Clearly from the review here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=157

Eureka! This is the M12D platform! Seasonic's latest and greatest. And it appears it's been tweaked to be even more awesome - you'll recall that my M12D 850 did not hold 12V ripple to such wonderfully low levels.

Yes, it is based on the same platform. Is the the same psu? No. It clearly outperforms the Seasonic by some margin so things must have being changed.

Never fall for the trap that because a certain oem makes psus that all the psus that oem makes are the same. They are built to the design and the components as specified be the retailer. PC Power & Cooling are renowned for specifying the best components such as Japanese caps etc.

Also throw in the fact that you get a 7 year warranty and it is cheaper than the so called "rebadged" Seasonic and you can see why people still want to buy them (so long as you can live with the noise though :()

Caporegime
That's so stupid, they made some of the best quality psu's out there. Hopefully the Z-Series can fill the void.

Doesn't look that way:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=167

It's an above average psu but nowhere near as good as the equivalent pc power & cooling psu(or Corsair, Seasonic, Antec for that matter) but costs more than any of them.

Shame really. I was holding high hopes of OCZ making a psu as good as a PCP&C but with a 120mm or 140mm fan. That would be the ideal PSU.

Soldato
Err not quite true though is it? Yes, the oem who makes the psu for PCP&C are indeed Seasonic for this model but they make psu's for lots of people. Just the same as other oem.

It does not mean that it is "rebadged". Clearly from the review here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=157

Yes, it is based on the same platform. Is the the same psu? No. It clearly outperforms the Seasonic by some margin so things must have being changed.

Never fall for the trap that because a certain oem makes psus that all the psus that oem makes are the same. They are built to the design and the components as specified be the retailer. PC Power & Cooling are renowned for specifying the best components such as Japanese caps etc.

Also throw in the fact that you get a 7 year warranty and it is cheaper than the so called "rebadged" Seasonic and you can see why people still want to buy them (so long as you can live with the noise though :()

Hold there, I was referring to silencer range in general not one specific model, I think most people realise a "rebadged" PSUs will be altered to some extent. I was assuming some basic level of intelligence here. :)

Indeed this thread was originally taking about the 750 Silencers, if you really want to be specific, not the 910w version.

Most of the parts in the 910w Silencer are identical to the M12D 850W, both use the best components such as Japanese caps etc.
They have improved the ripple/noise from the already high standard of the M12D, but this not really a big selling point as it's not like you need that level of perfection in a PC.

But the high noise levels on the other hand are bad, and that's more of a concern for most people.

Caporegime

Most of the parts in the 910w Silencer are identical to the M12D 850W, both use the best components such as Japanese caps etc.
They have improved the ripple/noise from the already high standard of the M12D, but this not really a big selling point as it's not like you need that level of perfection in a PC.

But the high noise levels on the other hand are bad, and that's more of a concern for most people.

Sorry I was referring to the whole range and not just the OP's 750W psu and the review of the 910W silencer was the first I came across with a direct comparison to the Seasonic which Is why I used that as an example.

The noise is very much one reason to move over to another make of psu. As for "perfection" of the ripple/noise on the voltages and voltage stability (I find pcp&c to be one of the best) then I would disagree. Lower is always better for stability especially going for silly overclocks as in 4.95Ghz in my case.

I was pointing out that pc power & cooling still has a market here for those that want that kind of "perfection" and can live with the fan noise. OCZ new high end psu's are not a match for them hence it's a shame for one of the best psu ranges to be removed from the market.

As for people not realising that "rebadged" psu's might be altered, you would be surprised! Although to me , a true "rebadged" psu is just that - everything identical except the name on the box which there are indeed some psus around which fall into that category.

In this case, I will agree with you that you get almost a pc power & cooling psu with the Seasonic but without the fan noise. Although it does come with less warranty and costs more money.

Soldato

Ha ha ha ha ha :D

I think there's something to be said for building the cooling system around the psu rather than building the psu around the fan. 80mm straight through or 120mm with a 90 degree turn? I think I like the first idea more. I'm amused that so many people condemn them because they've used a smaller fan.

They use a 3 blade delta in the psu I've got, I don't think I could find a higher quality 80mm fan for sale. Certainly I looked and didn't manage it. I don't think its loud, but then I'm not drawing anything close to 800W from it so it's basically idling all the time.

Perhaps the Z series will catch up, but now I'm not convinced. Very sad that they no longer sell in Europe, and angry with ocz for this decision. I will probably import one if my turbo cool ever kicks the bucket.

Caporegime
. 80mm straight through or 120mm with a 90 degree turn? I think I like the first idea more. I'm amused that so many people condemn them because they've used a smaller fan.

Although i agree I have just had to sell my PC Power & Cooling psu because of the fan noise. I have a totally silent system for surfing/word processing with everything watercooled and I can turn the fans off the case/rad when not gaming.

You have to remember that pcp&c come from the server side of psu's hence they are made to be reliable and supply rock solid voltages in missioncritical systems where noise is not an issue.

It broke my heart to sell what is/was the best psu I have ever owned as far as its performance but silence in my case comes first.

However, I doubt the majority of people who buy psu's can even hear the pcp&c 80mm fan over their 6 case fans and dual fan cpu coolers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom