[Pc-ps4] dac / amp for dt 990 pro 250ohms

Soldato
I use the PC > Modi Multibit > Pyst cables > Magni 3 combo with my Beyerdynamic DT1990 pros and the sound is superb.
The DT1990's are 250 ohm, same as the 990 and I run them at around 10 / 11 o'clock on the volume knob with low gain and they are plenty loud enough.

Soldato
high gain is only needed for driving more difficult loads, such as the 600 ohm Beyer T1 - I find low gain is more than enough for my DT1990's, Sennheiser HD650's and HiFiMan HE400i's

Associate
I have recently purchased the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's a couple of weeks ago. I'm personally using it with a Creative Sound Blaster X7 I purchased last summer with PC, Xbox One and PS4. The Sound BlasterX G6 should drive the DT 990's as it states it can power up to 600 ohms headphones. Also worth noting the PS4 does natively work with USB DACs (and I believe USB mics too). The PS4 can be plugged into the optical or USB input although it will only do Dolby Digital encoding on the former. However it's the best of both worlds in that sense, Dolby and SBX options. I did use my Fiio E7/9 vis USB in this way with my PS4.

That said the Fiio E10K should work over USB with the PS4 too if the encoding/virtual surround wasn't appealing.

Permabanned
OP
I could try a lot of headphones, I had the Mixamp Pro Tr and I find that the surround sound distorts the sound and can be misleading. I find the G6 not so good that ca and quite expensive (in France)
I prefer to focus on a solid 2.0.

Associate
Well in which case as you've probably already worked out something like a Shiit Stack, Fiio E10K or something else might be better choices. That said the SBX G6 should work with a PS4 and DT 990 Pro setup and that was more why I was posting (i.e. the PS4 can work with USB audio devices).

Personally I really like Creative's SBX/Virtualisation for gaming and therefore love the X7 I have. But for music see the appeal of better stereo sound.

Associate
Is the G6 or 990 nackered if its crackling , i have the E5 paired with a Beyer DT 880 600ohm and get no crackling and it drives it to louder than i can listen,
in fact since buying a dirt cheap E5 2nd hand i have not used my Schiit magni/modi 3 Stack or Topping A30/D30 stack (which i like better than the Schiit stack) for a few months .

Permabanned
OP
Hi,

i receive my modi 3 and magni 3, work great on ps4, but when i want to use it on my computer, i haven't sound.. the dac is powered, but no sound, i don't understand why, i choose the usb output and nothing...

any suggestion ?

thanks a lot

Associate
Does your computer recognize the dac your using?

Are you able to find the dac device on your computer with the name of the device which is your dac.

For instance for me i have the PRO-JECT HEAD BOX S2 DIGITAL.

53160397_10157093764922375_7930050903199973376_n.jpg

Edit

I have misread what the op said nevermind he did check the usb input on his computer.

Associate
Thanks dude!

I found the problem! Its the usb cable delivered with the modi 3. He doesnt work with my computer

All is good know

Thanks

Well have you tried all sorts of usb ports on your computer?

What i am thinking is that the supplied cable would support a certain usb version like usb 3.0 and not usb 2.0 but i find that very unlikely - edit- but what i am thinking here he might have usb ports on his computer that supports up to usb 2.0 but he has a cable for usb 3.0. but either way it should work despite this so maybe a driver issue.

Only take that with a pinch of salt but the supplied usb cable you have is picky as to what usb port you put it in as you have said.

Maybe you need drivers but as you say it is the cable you have that is not working.

Most likely a driver issue is what i now think because i had issues with what you have had but with my usb keyboard and mouse when i tried to install windows 7 i believe and it would not recognise my usb keyboard and mouse but with windows 10 it did, i believe windows 7 did not support usb 3.0 out of the box but windows 10 did so yeah.

Either way i hope the best with your setup and for it to work.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
I am very disappointed with the G6. in the end I use it only without sbx or scoot mode. I prefer to play with a schiit stack 3...

Salut.

For what you wrote, won't you suggest G6 for SBX / Dolby surround for PS4?

I was going to buy a G6 to drive my HD599 for both PS4 and PC and I was suprissed by the problems you repported. I really would like to use the Dolby / SBX features for gamming.

Merci bien

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom