PC randomly freezing and won't boot for a few minutes.

Associate
OP
You could probably (carefully) use the paperclip method to check the psu which might help you further

I will do that when I am replacing my CPU paste as well then, the thing is that I am currently on my PC and when I do anything that does not involve heavy workloads it seems to run fine... heck I have been simming FM21 for the past 1-2 hours and playing it just fine which is why I am so baffled.

Associate
OP
So I tried running OCCT 3D test on my 2070 again and you can clearly see the issue I am having here where my PC is completely frozen with OCCT running in background and you can see my temps are low and the weird issue where my PC won't boot up for a few minutes again.. Please any help

https://streamable.com/g4n9xy

Restarted it after this and ran OCCT GPU for around 20 mins without issue than went on to playing Destiny 2 and it happened again as you can see here

https://streamable.com/6x7jpv

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Been thinking about this today... Have you got a spare psu you could test with? If your temps are always reasonable then it could be a sign of your psu beginning to fail.

What PSU do you have, and how old is it?

I have a Coolermaster V650S and iits a few years old but I only started to use it properly in the last 18 months or so.. I have a new PSU coming either tommorow or Satuday to test that but if it still happens after that I really have no idea what to do .. I installed windows on one of my other SSD's and installed newest nvidia drivers on it today and it crashed when I was using OCCT GPU test after about 5-10minutes even on a fresh install and different ssd.

Associate
I have a Coolermaster V650S and iits a few years old but I only started to use it properly in the last 18 months or so.. I have a new PSU coming either tommorow or Satuday to test that but if it still happens after that I really have no idea what to do .. I installed windows on one of my other SSD's and installed newest nvidia drivers on it today and it crashed when I was using OCCT GPU test after about 5-10minutes even on a fresh install and different ssd.

Is that PSU plugged into a surge protector?
PSUs do eventually fail and I do suspect yours is an issue, but I suppose we'll find that out soon enough!

Soldato
I have a similar issue to you, I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but I figured it might be heat issues like the others have said. So I've made sure my PC is well ventilated, I removed the front cover from the case, I've put on a customer fan curve for my graphics card, I've sped up the case fans and touch wood I haven't had an freezes or crashes yet. Though I'm still not sure exactly it is a heat issue, I think it could an issue with a USB device(Wacom Tablet), or the PSU. Stuff like this is really hard to diagnose, best of luck to you.

Associate
OP
Is that PSU plugged into a surge protector?
PSUs do eventually fail and I do suspect yours is an issue, but I suppose we'll find that out soon enough!

Ye its plugged into an extension surge protector that quite a few years old and will also be getting replaced on Saturday by a new one just incase the small chance that was an issue.

I have a similar issue to you, I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but I figured it might be heat issues like the others have said. So I've made sure my PC is well ventilated, I removed the front cover from the case, I've put on a customer fan curve for my graphics card, I've sped up the case fans and touch wood I haven't had an freezes or crashes yet. Though I'm still not sure exactly it is a heat issue, I think it could an issue with a USB device(Wacom Tablet), or the PSU. Stuff like this is really hard to diagnose, best of luck to you.

I don't think mine is a heat issue because I have run heaven for an hour and my GPU peakead at 65c and my CPU peaks at like 70-75C in OCCT test.. you can see in one of my videos that they are both barley above 65C at the time of the crash.. for USB the only two things I have plugged in is my Corsair k70 keyboard and my Razer viper wireless reciever.

I also have my CPU and Chais fans (3 intake and 1 exhaust) running at high performance in the bios.

Associate
OP
Another update: My PSU has arrived but it came late so I will be putting that in tomorrow.

My PC had been on over 24 hours without issue and I was watching streams and even played a few games of league of legends without any issue.. I went to play Football manager 21 with my friends on discord and the second I loaded into a match my whole PC frooze again and would not start for a good 5-10 minutes. I changed the plug it was plugged into on my plug extention and it booted but I am not sure if that is relevant because it always seems to boot fine after 5-10minutes.

Tomorrow I will try the new PSU and if that doesn't work I will assume its the CPU/MOBO

Associate
OP
New PSU installed, its actually the Fractal Design ION+ Platinium not a seasonic but from reviews its just as good and a very very solid PSU.

The first thing I tested with my new PSU was whether my PC could turn on and off normally and it is doing that fine.. I added all my components + my GPU and my PC starts and turns off just fine where as before it would take multiple attempts to even boot.

The real test now is to wait around a day and see if it crashes during gaming etc, I just ran heaven benchmark with no issues and my GPU was running at a max of 60C so all seems good so far but even on my old PSU it would still run it just fine sometimes..

I really hope this PSU changed has fixed it and the fact that it boots properly now without having to press the power button 10 times is a good sign.. also the clicking noise that I talked about has good away so that was 100% my PSU as well.

Associate
New PSU installed, its actually the Fractal Design ION+ Platinium not a seasonic but from reviews its just as good and a very very solid PSU.

The first thing I tested with my new PSU was whether my PC could turn on and off normally and it is doing that fine.. I added all my components + my GPU and my PC starts and turns off just fine where as before it would take multiple attempts to even boot.

The real test now is to wait around a day and see if it crashes during gaming etc, I just ran heaven benchmark with no issues and my GPU was running at a max of 60C so all seems good so far but even on my old PSU it would still run it just fine sometimes..

I really hope this PSU changed has fixed it and the fact that it boots properly now without having to press the power button 10 times is a good sign.. also the clicking noise that I talked about has good away so that was 100% my PSU as well.
How is your pc now, still good?, your problems sound exactly like mine.

Back
Top Bottom