PC unresponsive

Associate
Hi folks, just wondered if anyone could provide any advice as to the following issue.

About a week ago I attempted to switch on my computer and nothing happened. I checked all connections etc etc to no avail. The PSU was unresponsive to the paper clip test - issue solved you'd think, wouldn't you?

Not so. I received a replacement PSU from Corsair, installed it after performing a paper clip test just to double check. New PSU working, PC still unresponsive.

Thinking it might be the power button/connection, I tried the screwdriver-to-power-pins trick but still nothing.

Given that the old PSU was indeed faulty, I'm wondering if whatever went wrong with it has damaged the motherboard in some way. Any advice any of you kind people could provide would be much appreciated.

Associate
Sounds like the VRMs have let go on the mobo.
I had a Gigagbyte Z87 board do that to me- came down one morning and the board's power LED was flickering, and refused to power up. Thought it was PSU at first. I now have a spare good PSU...

Soldato
Does the PSU fan or CPU fan come on, how about any led lights on mobo?

Motherboards can be funny. I've had boards that appeared dead only to work again some time in the future.

All I can suggest is, check the CPU for any burn marks also do the same for the mobo particularly capacitors. Try one stick of ram in either slot. Remove all peripherals. Strip it down to bare bones etc.

Also if has onboard graphics take out gcard and try that also take out bios battery for 1 min etc.

Also are you sure you shorted correct pins on mobo when trying to power up.

EDIT also make sure the 4 pin power connector is plugged into mobo and that the 16? Pin main power connector is securely in.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Does the PSU fan or CPU fan come on, how about any led lights on mobo?

Motherboards can be funny. I've had boards that appeared dead only to work again some time in the future.

All I can suggest is, check the CPU for any burn marks also do the same for the mobo particularly capacitors. Try one stick of ram in either slot. Remove all peripherals. Strip it down to bare bones etc.

Also if has onboard graphics take out gcard and try that also take out bios battery for 1 min etc.

Also are you sure you shorted correct pins on mobo when trying to power up.

EDIT also make sure the 4 pin power connector is plugged into mobo and that the 16? Pin main power connector is securely in.
The CPU fan definitely doesn't come on, the PSU fan doesn't spin because of the semi-fanless mode. Thanks for the rest of the tips, I'll definitely try them out.

Soldato
Did Corsair tell you why the PSU failed in the first place? It might be worth getting an in-line UPS or other power filter to prevent a recurrence.

Soldato
What are the specs, I don't suppose you could buy a dirt cheap mobo from eBay if there is such a thing that you can try your cpu, ram and PSU on?

Associate
OP
What are the specs, I don't suppose you could buy a dirt cheap mobo from eBay if there is such a thing that you can try your cpu, ram and PSU on?
It's an X99 system - having a look on eBay throws up some used X99 motherboards around £90. Suppose I could buy one, try out the other components, and then return it. All it would cost me was the return postage.

Associate
OP
Return what?
Jsmoke made the suggestion of buying as a cheap a motherboard as possible to test the other components in order to rule out the problem being RAM or CPU related. I'm saying if I did that and everything worked fine, I would know that my motherboard (the original) was faulty, and I would then RMA the original motherboard and return the newly purchased one to the seller, only incurring the costs for return postage.

Soldato
Yeah TBH mate that dont sway good for me.

I understand the frustration of not having spare hardware around to test components totaly do but to purchase a working MB from the bay to test your other components for then to just return the board back to the seller AFTER you have used it and its working is ummm cheeky in my book sorry.

Why not purchase the MB from the bay if it works keep it.
RMA YOUR faulty one when ya get it back sell it job done.

EDIT

As a note to @jsmoke he never actually said any thing about returning the board after using it :p

Any way mate I do wish ya the best to get this sorted but just find it upsetting when people do this sort of thing.

TBH if ya ask around on here u never know some one might live close to you who would lend a hand.
I know I aint got a spare MB so no point me offering but still :).
Saves some poor sole on the bay the hassle of taking back a working MB.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah TBH mate that dont sway good for me.

I understand the frustration of not having spare hardware around to test components totaly do but to purchase a working MB from the bay to test your other components for then to just return the board back to the seller AFTER you have used it and its working is ummm cheeky in my book sorry.

Why not purchase the MB from the bay if it works keep it.
RMA YOUR faulty one when ya get it back sell it job done.

EDIT

As a note to @jsmoke he never actually said any thing about returning the board after using it :p

Any way mate I do wish ya the best to get this sorted but just find it upsetting when people do this sort of thing.

TBH if ya ask around on here u never know some one might live close to you who would lend a hand.
I know I aint got a spare MB so no point me offering but still :).
Saves some poor sole on the bay the hassle of taking back a working MB.

Yeah on reflection it's probably a bit shady. Sometimes the temptation to save a few £s overrides one's moral compass.

Soldato
Yep

I do understand your frustration mate its killer when your PC dies mine did recently still not got it back up and running.

But dont get a MB from the bay mate with the intention of returning it some poor sole has a life to live and not have the hassle of retuns for no reason.

Is your MB in warrenty still?.

Why not get a cheap MB use it RMA your faulty one and when ya get it back sell it you wont have lost any thing then....much any way :)

Soldato
Yeah on reflection it's probably a bit shady. Sometimes the temptation to save a few £s overrides one's moral compass.

I totaly understand chap no one judges ya as I am sure ya frustrated etc.

Just do what I suggested on me last post.

If not some one here MAY offer help where do you live roughly out of interest?.

Also was the MB from OCUk if so mate give em a buzz OCUK are amazeing people.

EDIT

No idea how I managed to double post sorry.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Having done some reading up just now, I think I may be in luck regarding the warranty. I thought the warranty had expired but it seems I bought the board in August 2015, so if the warranty is 3 years (which I think is right), I should be able to RMA the board.

Back
Top Bottom