PC Upgrade

Why the change to AM5 all of a sudden? Your best value options were in the first couple of replies. A 5700x3d is a big upgrade from your 2600x and doesn't involve completely replacing everything. You don't really need any extra memory as 16Gb is still enough for gaming, I certainly never had any problems with 16Gb. The guys have already suggested a decent gpu upgrade although a new psu would be a good move. Buy a good quality one not cheap and nasty rubbish such as any 80 plus white label efforts, Kolink garbage, CiT or any other "budget" brands that offer high wattage psu's at unbelieveable prices as the only thing unbelieveable about them is the wattage they claim to be able to deliver.

Last edited:
Why the change to AM5 all of a sudden? Your best value options were in the first couple of replies. A 5700x3d is a big upgrade from your 2600x and doesn't involve completely replacing everything. You don't really need any extra memory as 16Gb is still enough for gaming, I certainly never had any problems with 16Gb. The guys have already suggested a decent gpu upgrade although a new psu would be a good move. Buy a good quality one not cheap and nasty rubbish such as any 80 plus white label efforts, Kolink garbage, CiT or any other "budget" brands that offer high wattage psu's at unbelieveable prices as the only thing unbelieveable about them is the wattage they claim to be able to deliver.
Was wondering this myself, but if that is what the OP wants to do then fair enough.

Do agree about the PSU though, should not get a Budget one.

I just thought that while doing an already drastic change of cpu and gpu I could upgrade to something that will allow other upgrades in the future that would last another 4 years or more like the pc I originally have before upgrading but im still considering a 5600 or 5700 as an option if maybe it isnt neccessary to upgrade to an AM5 just yet??? Any brands that I should look for in a new PSU?

Last edited:
but im still considering a 5600 or 5700 as an option
The 5700X3D performs similar to the 7600, so apart from the platform upgrade and possible future CPUs, there's really not much benefit to doing that upgrade.

Any brands that I should look for in a new PSU?
Not a good idea to buy based on brand, they all make bad ones.

OCUK stock is very thin right now, but Corsair RMx (or SHIFT if you have a compatible case), Seasonic GX, Phanteks AMP, MSI AxxxG, Antec HCG Pro and Asus TUF Gold or Strix are all higher-tier models with long (10 year) warranties.

a good quality 550W would run that.

but i do believe in overkill. always good to have spare capacity. Ive stuck with 850W since 2004. <3
I have one 550W PC in a spare room. most of the power will be drawn by the gpu. your spec is within 550W, only the higher rated gpu's need bigger power supplies in my opinion. gpu <250W? most psus will handle that easily.
Power-p.webp

Last edited:
Have to agree with this.

AM4 still has a lot of life in it thanks to the X3D CPUs.

AM5 is still a good product range (especially if you get the 7800X3D) but definitely not as good value as a 5700X3D when you already have an AM4 rig.

100% agree with the point about getting a good PSU rather than taking your chances with a budget brand.

New PSU, a 5700X3D and a new GPU = winning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom