PC wont post after using Asus EZ Tuner

Associate
Hi Guys first time poster,

I'm looking for help with a problem i am having with my pc.

Asus Z170-P
i7 6700K
Kingston Hyper X DDR4
Strix 980 OC.

I built my PC last year (my second one) and all has been fine since then, i got home last night and noticed i had the old BIOS drivers on, i can't remember the version number but i know it was from 2015.

So i downloaded the most recent driver from ASUS and put it on a memory stick, used EZ flash and updated Bios from memory stick. That all went well and PC restarted and booted back up to the Asus splash screen, searching for the incredible or whatever it says. I went back into the Bios and used EZ Tuner, it told me the CPU would be increased by 15% and the RAM would not be increased.

After doing this the computer restarted but no Asus Splash screen. The fans and LEDS are coming on like everything should apart from the K&M, my monitors and the PC wont get the splash screen or boot at all. I have tried removing the CMOS battery for 30 mins and replacing it, but still nothing. PC was perfect before this so i almost certain none of my hardware is the issue i just think i have bricked my mobo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Permabanned
Associate
OP
Tried on board graphics last night, i took the GPU out but it still didn't even get to splash screen, monitors or K&M didn't come on.

I will try the one stick of RAM in all the slots tonight! Out of curiosity why would that work?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi, I have tried all of the above and still nothing. I guess it's time for me to get a new mobo? Any recommendations for around the 150 mark?

Associate
As suggested by mattyc123 try clearing cmos by using clear cmos button if that doesnt work try resetting by using clear rtc jumpers which should be between front panel headers and internal usb ports or somewhere around there.

Associate

can I buy some weed from you? Have you ever heard of removing the CMOS battery? It works every time.

OP- remove the battery, wait a couple of minutes, put it back, you will boot up no problem. Don't screw around in your bios until you know what you're doing. Auto overclocks are a load of BS in most cases and doing it manually the right way is best.

You do not need a new motherboard.

Associate
can I buy some weed from you? Have you ever heard of removing the CMOS battery? It works every time.

OP- remove the battery, wait a couple of minutes, put it back, you will boot up no problem. Don't screw around in your bios until you know what you're doing. Auto overclocks are a load of BS in most cases and doing it manually the right way is best.

You do not need a new motherboard.

Maybe you should lay off whatever you are smoking.... The op already said he removed the battery. had you bothered to read his post you would have realised this.

Associate
I went through a similar scenario with the bios not posting and after much soul searching I found that the actual cause was that the monitor had failed !

Is there a BIOS code display on the motherboard or a reset button any beeps at all ?

Associate
I have seen the issue of the battery removal not working before, although I am not sure what caused it. There seemed to be some trickle of power coming from somewhere that kept the cmos alive. Try removing all the power connections to the motherboard, all leads to the PC, then remove the battery again and leave it as long as you can.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies all, I tried everything, i went out of town for a few days and took my PC apart without the CMOS battery in, came back and nothing. I shorted the RTC Jumpers and still nothing. Tried breadboading it with one stick of RAM and nothing. I think it was the BIOS update before the EZ tune that did it. I ended up getting an MSI mobo on offer and within 40 mins of it arriving i had a perfectly working machine again. Thanks for suggestions!

Associate
Very similar thing happened to me on replacing a motherboard. Posted once - a few bios adjustments made and it wouldn't post again. Everything appeared normal as the monitor powered up, and inevitable cursing and blaming ASUS for a few hours, but then my hand strayed too neat the monitor power button and I noticed when turning it back on that there was no splash screen, turns out that at the moment I restarted, the monitor decided to die!

Such things are unusual, but they are worth checking, just because you made a change doesn't mean that the component you changed is at fault, the failure could be in a different and unrelated area. It's worth checking everything first.

Back
Top Bottom