Pension fund performance - do you monitor yours, how is it doing, do you actively change it?

Associate
Anyone limited to aviva what do you use?

My WPP is in aviva, definitely not the worst provider.

I'm considering upping my contribution to 10pc to basically swallow up all my non bonus 40pc tax and avoid the 2pc NI too. Then come bonus time I can either add it to my SIPP or spend it.

I don't think I need that money as I usually save into my isa. But I'm happy for now how much I have in there.

So yeah, as my aviva grows quite a lot month on month I should probably think more about what it's in.

Aviva Pensions BlackRock World ex-UK Equity Index Tracker was the best one I could find with best rates on there for a family member.

Associate
Oh really?? I started a transfer yesterday with the intention to move my employer contributions over to vanguard every few months... Guess this is a stickler. Why do they make pensions so ridiculously cumbersome. It's easy to see why Joe public don't care, must be costing the country a bomb in missed opportunity

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you keep the same funds / risk in both S&S ISA and Pensions?

Have gone for Developed World VHVG in my Pension and leaving it alone until retirement but exploring options for S&S ISA. Play it safe with same or VWRP or go more risky with VUAG.

ISA would be left alone for circa 10-15 years until need to dip into it for helping the kids.

Quite similar actually. Not sure if it matters with the all world funds really.
I'm about 50/50 in vwrp and vuag in both.
But already (a few months) vuag is double the gains vs vwrp.

Aviva Pensions BlackRock World ex-UK Equity Index Tracker was the best one I could find with best rates on there for a family member.

Yeah that's the same one I picked. I'll hope to be able to do a partial transfer in a few months if my SIPP is doing better but fees are quite simlar.

Soldato
I'm starting to try to calculate how much income I need in retirement and how I plan to fund it, then I can work back from there to get some confidence about when I can retire.

My first task is research, I came across this website which provides estimates for income needed for various lifestyles:

What are your thoughts on those estimates?

Associate
I'm starting to try to calculate how much income I need in retirement and how I plan to fund it, then I can work back from there to get some confidence about when I can retire.

My first task is research, I came across this website which provides estimates for income needed for various lifestyles:

What are your thoughts on those estimates?

It says a 'Moderate' couple in retirement need £3500 a month.
That sounds high to me, unless it's assuming they will still be paying mortgage/rent.

Caporegime
It says a 'Moderate' couple in retirement need £3500 a month.
That sounds high to me, unless it's assuming they will still be paying mortgage/rent.

Sounds about right to me. Maybe a bit high.
Actually, thinking about that. I'd say that's a tier up from modest when I look at our bills.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is a weird question.
What do people do with all their time who retire early but have a luxury retirementbut do have good health?

All that time...i can't imagine what I'd do with it without enough money to do "stuff"

Soldato
Expenses typically decrease in retirement unless you’re living beyond your means, compared to when you were working.

No kids, no mortgage, etc etc balances out with the extra holidays (depending on where of course), hobbies, days out etc.

Best approach is to take your current expenditure and knock off what you know won’t be there at retirement, and then add back on what you plan to spend on luxuries since your essentials will stay roughly the same.

You’ll only need £3.5k per month if you’re spending more than that now, for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's what I'm aiming for... a moderate life style at roughly 3k per month.

This is a weird question.
What do people do with all their time who retire early but have a luxury retirementbut do have good health?

All that time...i can't imagine what I'd do with it without enough money to do "stuff"

I have a bucket list of video games to play and then sell on ebay.

Need to get rid of some of my collections like yu-gi-oh cards etc, so that who ever is dealing with my estate don't have to deal with it.

I'll probably end up swing trading for periods of the day as a part time self employed job or even look at some gig work from fiiver or consultancy work just to keep me busy. I may sit here playing chess online with a glass of wine.

For me, retirement isn't likely to be the end of my working life, just the end of full time working and the ability of not having to do anything I don't want to..

Back
Top Bottom