**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
It's trolling when people spout such nonsense as calling the SoC midrange when it clearly isn't.

I called the phone midrange. I used the outdated SoC to illustrate one element out of many to illustrate why it’s midrange.

You are wilfully misinterpreting my comments because you want this phone and are defending it in advance because you are going to buy it.

Soldato
Nope, I’ll take the opinion of varied reviewers over yours.
I’ve only been researching phones the last couple of days and it’s not hard to find valued numbers on Ram usage. All of the respected Youtubers I follow (MKBHD etc) report 5-6Gb of Ram usage across all of the phones they tested this year.

I’ll take their opinion over yours :p

Soldato
I called the phone midrange. I used the outdated SoC to illustrate one element out of many to illustrate why it’s midrange.

You are wilfully misinterpreting my comments because you want this phone and are defending it in advance because you are going to buy it.

I don't feel like I need to justify what I buy, actually, I regularly rubbish a lot of things I buy when the experience has disappointed me. Android TV, Android tablets, Wear OS, all platforms made by Google that I've not had a good experience with and I've been vocal about that on here.

You know full well that this phone cannot be classed as midrange and you're either trolling or are misinformed. So what exactly is the Pixel 3a if the Pixel 3 is midrange? It certainly isn't low end is it?

Soldato
You know full well that this phone cannot be classed as midrange and you're either trolling or are misinformed. So what exactly is the Pixel 3a if the Pixel 3 is midrange? It certainly isn't low end is it?

Having seen a poster above use the term top end I realise I am not putting myself across well enough. You will notice that I use the term flagship, by which I mean a phone without compromise. I maintain that the Pixel is not a flagship for android devices because its hardware specs are not the best.

I am therefore happy to concede it is a top end phone rather than a mid range one. It is still not what I would class a flagship Android device.

Soldato
I’ll take their opinion over yours :p

I don’t recall saying it was my opinion. I said it was what i had read from other review sites.

MKBHD might be popular and his reviews might be watchable, but he’s not exactly a technical reviewer is he?

Edit and 5-6gb ram usage NOW isn’t great for a phone about to come with 6gb ram. Full utilisation? That means background app shutdown doesn’t it? What about in 2 years? Will it be 7-8gb ram usage on popular phones?

Soldato
I don’t recall saying it was my opinion. I said it was what i had read from other review sites.

MKBHD might be popular and his reviews might be watchable, but he’s not exactly a technical reviewer is he?

Edit and 5-6gb ram usage NOW isn’t great for a phone about to come with 6gb ram. Full utilisation? That means background app shutdown doesn’t it? What about in 2 years? Will it be 7-8gb ram usage on popular phones?
My current iPhone 7 only has 2GB Ram and I manage just fine 3 years on - I’m not a mobile phone power user editing 4k videos on the fly.

Remember pixel 3 is not yet 1 year old with its 4gb. If we're saying 6gb is the sweet spot now, that means just under a year and pixel 3 is below the sweet spot. What will 1 more year back like with the pixel 5 due, 4gb will seem incredibly low then.

It's the same for the pixel 4. 6gb is OK, but for now. I hoped Google learnt from feedback that even if 4gb is fine, it's just such a low number that its off putting, and they'd go big this year to show they have listened. Seems not if 6gb is what it has.

Could they have a 6gb and 8gb "pro" version perhaps?

Every year I secretly hope that Google purposefully leaks incorrect info about the phone, so that on announcement day they can wow everyone with the truth. Each year I'm let down.

Ill wait until announcement to properly judge. I sure hope to purchase as a new pixel this year, but it may be I wait until January when it's reduced a little, and by then I think ah its so long now I may as well stick with my 2xl and go for the pixel 5.

Associate
What is google going to actually show on it announcement day at this rate people will already have used the phone for nearly a month in Vietnam

Soldato
It really depends on why they've upped the RAM by 2gb, it could be that it's required for the additional image processing that's required for the rumoured additional camera features such as improved night sight and motion capture.

Soldato
Having seen a poster above use the term top end I realise I am not putting myself across well enough. You will notice that I use the term flagship, by which I mean a phone without compromise. I maintain that the Pixel is not a flagship for android devices because its hardware specs are not the best.

I am therefore happy to concede it is a top end phone rather than a mid range one. It is still not what I would class a flagship Android device.

Personally I don't think you're helping your case. Top end is regardless of who has made it. Flagship is specific to a manufacturer. I just google'd 'flagship definition' and got -

the best or most important thing owned or produced by a particular organization.

For google, it is their flagship device. It could even be midrange and it could still be their flagship device.

I still suggest, something with the current top end chips cannot really be midrange. If 4 or 6gb of RAM is enough is quite a personal thing. I don't generally do a lot of swapping between apps, so it's fine. Others might find it closes some apps down in the background.

Soldato
I tend to close my apps after I am done with them so maybe that's why I have never had an issue with 4gb. I like to think and hope that because Google is in control of the os that they feel 6gb is ample and they don't need to stick silly amounts in for the spec sheet. People mention the rog2 but will that get android 12 in 2 years time ? Or be just another device that flashed in the pan?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The 855 supports 5G so its possible, but its only something thats been mentioned int he leaks. The phones in the Vietnamese and Thai videos is apparently an unfinished prototype so has some missing features, Soli etc..

Back
Top Bottom