**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
I don't need to upgrade my phone, but as I want to get into Android operating system development (not app development), I need a Pixel device. I've been thinking about the Pixel 3a as just a phone for programming, but then I thought I might as well wait for the Pixel 4 to see what that is like. If it isn't that good, the Pixel 3a price should still fall in price so I could get one of those later on.

Is anyone else waiting to hear about the Pixel 4 phones?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the camera is probably going to be its most significant selling point and as I'm just getting into filming things with a phone that is another thing I'll have to consider. Having said that I don't have any problems really with the camera on the OnePlus 6. It might not be the best, but it is usable.

Associate
Me even though my 2xl has been a pain in the ....

It's going to have to be bloomin good though as I can now get the base model iPhone from work free of charge and no monthly payment so I'll be keeping a close eye on that one.

At the very least to tempt me into paying the inevitable 40+ a month it's going to have to have a wide angle and telephoto lens and the OS is going to have to be more reliable than my experience with the 2xl. I'm not sure it will but we'll see.

Associate
I was disappointed with pixel 3 spec wise and I am waiting for Pixel 4.
Same, I hope they bring a cheaper version out at launch. Say the 4a if it would be called that. I would happily have the cheaper plastic bodied version and lacking some other things as long as the camera and software are the same like they have done with the Pixel 3 and 3a.
Being a builder and having my phone in my pocket all day I would be less worried about damaging it, not that I ever have. My Pixel 2XL has been in a case and in my pocket everyday and is still in mint condition surprisingly.

Soldato
Every Pixel so far has been flawed or underspecced in a way that anyone even remotely interested in technology could spot immediately. If they get the Pixel 4 right I’d be interested in it, but it’s going to come with a battery that’s too small, or another massive stupid notch or 4gb ram, or something else that should have been altered long before the phone goes into production.

I hope I’m wrong.

Soldato
I could live with small bezels like Note 9 or Xperia 1 but let's hope we don't have a repeat of the landing strip on 3XL. If they are going square camera module then that means at least a triple lens setup of some kin hopefully.

Associate
And it begins! :D

The speaker grill implies bezel or notch.
A notch is a big no-no for me.
I think I'd miss those dual speakers so I wouldn't mind bezels for those.
Great camera on the back and no notch = sale for me, I don't give 2 hoots about the selfie camera. It only gets used by my girls to check their hair anyway :D

Soldato
OP
I've already got a notch on my OnePlus 6 so if the Pixel 4 had one it wouldn't bother me so much. Of course, it would be better if there wasn't one, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Associate
I doubt very much it will have 8gb ram........maybe 6gb

You know what google are like

Yep, not wrong there. I have a feeling that, like another poster a few up, that they're just going to give us more underwhelming hardware.

My feelings on this are that it will be:-

Snapdragon 855
4 or 6 Gb RAM
64 or 128 Gb storage (UFS 3 if we are lucky)
Dual camera setup; ultra wide and standard lens with a 'fancy' digital zoom
Hole punch just like the S10 (which already looks old hat)
£1000 price tag for the XL model and hope that enough people care about 'stock' Android to shell out.

What I would like to see is 8Gb of RAM, at least 128Gb storage (UFS3), triple cam setup, GOOD quality DAC and headphone jack, and notchless design (including hole punches) but I expect it to fall short of this.

I gotta be honest, if it's the spec I think it'll be as above, then that will likely spell the end for me with Pixels as they simply aren't worth the money, at best, I would wait it out for a 4a, in all likelihood, I'll just move over to iOS which frankly for me has caught right up with Android and is in danger of overtaking it, especially when it comes to all round polish.

Back
Top Bottom