People Who Use the Word "literally" Incorrectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It's just yoof culture. They'll either grow out of it or end up stuck in a dead end job.

Literally nobody wants to do big business deals with a moron who can't speak properly.

See what I did there!!!!

Associate
OP
OP are you Michael Gove?

Language particularly one used as widely as ours changes all the time live with it!

Well, it shouldn't. If you've got children, let them know that. And explain that people will think they are fuzzing idiots if they talk like that. And that it will cripple their job prospects and chances in life.

You must be new here..... I don't think you're going to like it.

And why would that be?

Are you the official meeter and greeter?

ban ban ban

I'll ask you again: are you trying to say something? If so, what?

Spit it out laddie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Jamie Redknapp's greatest hits:

The ball literally gave him a haircut.

He's literally left Ben Haim for dead there.

Alonso and Sissoko have been picked to literally sit in front of the back four.

Scholes has such a great footballing brain. He’ll see a picture in his head and literally paint it in front of you.

He had to cut back inside onto his left, because he literally hasn’t got a right foot.

These balls now - they literally explode off your feet.

But he decided to show some restraint when talking about then Manchester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel:

Peter Schmeichel will be like a father figure to Kasper Schmeichel

Man of Honour
I like it. It helps identify those who should be avoided.

Other such flags include:
  • Calling their offspring “mate”.
  • Replacing “have” with “of”.
  • “Oh my days”.
  • Replacing “specific” with “Pacific”.

Soldato
Well, it shouldn't. If you've got children, let them know that. And explain that people will think they are fuzzing idiots if they talk like that. And that it will cripple their job prospects and chances in life.

English grammar is a farce the difference bettween spoken and written English is already farsical and the desire of the Gove led education policy to try and re-enforce a load or archaic nonsense is actually rather sad. When you have famous authors who would fail an 11 year olds grammar test you know it's broken!

The 'literally' thing is an inescapable fact of spoken English everyone does it, yes Jamie goes too far but the language has evolved and it is now an acceptable use (even in gove's petty test!)

Caporegime
This thread has literally bored me to tears...

...or has it? You'll never know. If there's one thing you might find worse than mis-use of the word "literally", it's not knowing if I've mis-used it or not... Sleepless nights for you, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom