Perez Replaces Albon at Red Bull

Soldato
Well Ric was the 'older' driver, wasn't he? Therefore your logic doesn't stand up.
People's claims are not around feedback they are saying the car is specifically designed around him which I don't believe.

Don’t forget that Ricciardo was the Number 2 driver to Vettel in 2014 and outperformed him despite them both having poor reliability all season. And that was in a car obviously based on (regs change allowing) Vettel’s preferences from his all conquering 2013 car.

Soldato
The 2014 car was hardly based on the 2013 one in any way, shape or form. The cars were completely different beasts, weighing far, far more with big changes to the front end and rear of the car and obviously with the completely different hybrid engines which needed a new driving style.

As for Vettel vs Ricciardo, Ricciardo's form was better over the season, but I've explained before that two of Ricciardo's three victories were at the expense of Vettel too. He was miles behind Vettel in Hungary, but got lucky when the safety car came out just after Vettel had gone past the pit entrance, and was behind him in Montreal when Red Bull cocked up Vettel's strategy.

As I said, Ricciardo was better overall, but it certainly wasn't as one sided as the stats alone (or the memories of some here it seems) suggest, as you'll see if you go and watch them back.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

From Monza to Imola (a total of 6 races), Albon finished...

15th
3rd
10th
17th
12th
15th

Apart from the podium at Tuscany, that’s a grand total of 1 WCC point. There’s really no wonder they dumped him tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
From Monzo to Imola (a total of 6 races), Albon finished...

15th
3rd
10th
17th
12th
15th

Apart from the podium at Tuscany, that’s a grand total of 1 WCC point. There’s really no wonder they dumped him tbh.

It makes you wonder what happened from last season to this season, given in 2019 he picked up 76 points in the 8 races he completed for RBR and that was when Ferrari still had a competitive car that pushed RBR into 3rd spot in the constructors.

Has he completely lost the ability to drive or is it something at RBR that's causing the performance to fall off a cliff?

Soldato
It makes you wonder what happened from last season to this season, given in 2019 he picked up 76 points in the 8 races he completed for RBR and that was when Ferrari still had a competitive car that pushed RBR into 3rd spot in the constructors.

Has he completely lost the ability to drive or is it something at RBR that's causing the performance to fall off a cliff?

The midfield is much faster this season than last so that will play a major part.

I doubt anyone loses the ability to drive fast, even Seb. More likely things change some some drivers don't adapt as well. Lose a little confidence in the car so can't brake as late, accelerate as early etc..

Caporegime
Such great news

Hoping this pays off.
Really. I hope this punishes Mercedes for playing it safe keeping bottas.

Is it possible rbr could, with both cars, split the mercs more often? Maybe even more wins if the car is good enough?

Hope RP fail next year due to their stupid driver choice. (talking vettel here). I get why they kept stroll (his dad), but not vettel. Also, leaving it so late so perez didn't have a drive option.

Also, we all get why rbr dropped albon. If mclaren are really good next year (they could be) can't be having an albon.

Fair play they kept him for the year.

Soldato
That sounds a bit vindictive for Christmas day. I actually hope Vettel does well for 2 seasons then retires. It's always a shame to see former champions a shadow of their former selves. The UK has always had some hate for him for some reason. I quite like him, he comes across as a very likeable character with a keen sense of British humour.

Soldato
That sounds a bit vindictive for Christmas day. I actually hope Vettel does well for 2 seasons then retires. It's always a shame to see former champions a shadow of their former selves. The UK has always had some hate for him for some reason. I quite like him, he comes across as a very likeable character with a keen sense of British humour.
I think it was just the period of perceived Red Bull domination (when in reality it was only domination for two years), the fact that Helmut Marko preferred a Red Bull driver over Webber and driven by a British media that was (and still is to a degree) besotted by Hamilton. Perhaps being a quiet family man doesn't endear him to some either in this time of thirst for social media posts.

He does come across as a top, top man outside the car, not just in F1 but in life in general and the last few weekends of 2020 cemented that, despite how he had been treated before the season even started. I hope being freed of the shackles of Ferrari and not being in a team which should be winning allows him to enjoy himself and show more of the affable character we saw at Toro Rosso and the early days at Red Bull.

Soldato

I think the team somehow kill their second drivers confidence by not hiding their love of max. They probably don’t develop the car round the second driver and they seem to be unable to nurture young drivers like the sister team. You see a similar lack of confidence with bottas now and again but imo you can tell merc try to manipulate wins for bottas every so often to keep him believing.

Soldato
If Daddy's boy keeps up with Seb, then "he's as good as a four-times world champion." Personally hope that Seb gets his mojo back by getting some freedom again.
I’m fairly confident that Seb will improve. If he can’t keep up with Lance he’ll be gone at the end of the year.

Caporegime
I can't help but feel that Red Bull really shafted Albon by waiting until post season to announce this. He's left with no chance of getting a race seat anywhere for next season. He should be off to Formula E or something.

Delighted for Pérez though. Getting dropped for the Spinmeister was unjust, and now he gets a car upgrade out of it.

Caporegime
Vettel should be ahead of Stroll by halfway through pre-season testing. Stroll’s a decent enough mid-pack driver, but he was only ever in that Racing Point seat thanks to his dad’s money.

Vettel has been serious competition for Albon's "worst performing driver on the grid" crown this season. It's going to take a real turn around in performance to be beating Stroll next year. Maybe having a better car under him will bring him back to form, but I think an ignominious final couple of years before retirement at the end of '22 are more likely.

Associate
I think Vettel has really suffered from number 2 driver syndrome this year.

If you think Red Bull are all about Max, Ferrari will be another level. They’ve been fully behind Le Clerc since about 3 races in to last season, pretty sure Vettel had been told he was surplus to requirements at Ferrari before this season kicked off,

I’m pretty sure he hasn’t had the same car as Le Clerc this season.

really looking forward to seeing Perez in the red bull this year, especially after being dropped over daddy’s boy.

Back
Top Bottom