Personal Log to losing weight

Congratulations - stick with it! I managed to lose 4st in a year and I've never been active.

I started with MyFitnessPal just to contextualise what I am eating and how it broke down in to different food groups / nutrition groups. That was a bit of an eye opener!

Whilst it may not work for some people, I dropped my calorie intake down to 1500 from Monday - Friday evening and ate/drank what I wanted Friday evening - Sunday.

The exercise bike is my only form of exercise and I try to do a quick 10K five days a week.

Regarding big meals or going out - you need to let yourself eat them from time to time. The unfortunate thing is that the process is a forever lifestyle change as opposed to a few months-a year... You can't be expected never to have a blowout meal ever again!

I've also found that protein heavy foods have helped me stave off some of my hunger :)

Regarding big meals or going out - you need to let yourself eat them from time to time. The unfortunate thing is that the process is a forever lifestyle change as opposed to a few months-a year... You can't be expected never to have a blowout meal ever again!

You can approach social occasions and create a buffer as 'damage control' if you know calorie intake will be unavoidably high. For example eating a little less in the days preceeding/following or being more active.

Equally, if you are pre-disposed to Intermittent Fasting or not traditionally eating your first meal in the morning you can extend your fast and break it later, effectively saving the days allowance. A 3 course meal will normally be the GDA calorie intake so there's no real reason to need to eat prior to this in theory. You can of course just 'yolo' it and roll with the punches, depends how focused you want to be and how close your target goal/deadline is.

Im struggling to estimate my calorie intake last night i had roughly the following from the chinese:

Starter
2 x salt and peppered chicken wings
1 x yuk sung
2 x garlic battered prawns
1 x bbq spare rib
1 portion of seaweed
2 x seaseme toast quarters
1 x chicken satay skewer
1 x beef satay skewer
1 x duck in pancake

Main
Small chinese curry chicken with fried rice

Any estimations of total cals there?

Last edited:
Around 2,000-2,500 calories. When trying to maintain a deficit it's always best to overestimate. Occasionally an infrequent 'refeed' does no harm. With a high % bodyfat though they do not need to be regular but as you approach low teens or single digits frequency should increase, if you're restricting a macronutrient.

Really is 'how long is a piece of string' without seeing pictures of portion sizes, the amount of sauce, fried rice, how much duck in the pancake etc. Perception of 'small' is subjective.

Certain things though like seaseme toast quarters (which I love) you can look to supermarkets online and find nutritional values but again size/weights will vary. Or search the MFP database and exercise caution as not all entries are correct.

Last edited:
Good luck Ace Modder :)

I joined the gym a couple of months back and lost around two stone gradually with minimal changes to my diet. Now I've got all the end of year social events out the way I'll be getting my backside down the gym and adjusting my diet.

I felt a lot better in a relatively short space of time, you will too :)

Around 2,000-2,500 calories. When trying to maintain a deficit it's always best to overestimate. Occasionally an infrequent 'refeed' does no harm. With a high % bodyfat though they do not need to be regular but as you approach low teens or single digits frequency should increase, if you're restricting a macronutrient.

Really is 'how long is a piece of string' without seeing pictures of portion sizes, the amount of sauce, fried rice, how much duck in the pancake etc. Perception of 'small' is subjective.

Certain things though like seaseme toast quarters (which I love) you can look to supermarkets online and find nutritional values but again size/weights will vary. Or search the MFP database and exercise caution as not all entries are correct.

I'm going to put in 2500 cals then just to be on the safe side. Suppose one day not being accurate aint the end of the world.
Interestingly I still feel full from last nights meal, and usually when I go to this place I don't feel this way the next day. Body is getting used to less foods maybe?

Last edited:
All the best with this!

I'm in the same boat, I started on the 4th due to planned events and weighed myself in at 18st13.75lb (might as well call it 19st) but I'm only 5'9. 4 years ago was over 22st and lost some weight with my wife but didn't stick to it, 10 years ago I was 14st but I've always been up and down with my weight.

I started eating better from the 4th and I am doing it with my wife who had already lost over 100lb but put some back on due to us messing about ending up breaking her coccyx.

I highly recommend myfitnesspal but for takeaway it has a lot of options, I tend to go above the average figure to be safe. it also has very good options for meal planning.

as I only work roughly 3 miles from work I am planning to walk more often as its only about 45 mins each way and its an easy way to increase my walking, I have a relatively active job on my feet a lot but it varies from day to day anything from 5000-15000 steps depending on what work there is required and how long the shift is.

Best of luck with it though, my wife had some very hard times while she was losing weight but in the end she got there and she's much happier because of it.

I'm going to put in 2500 cals then just to be on the safe side. Suppose one day not being accurate aint the end of the world.

I've not been following this properly but have you made any effort to roughly work out what your actual calorie expenditure each day is? It's useful to know even if it's not very accurate and the accuracy improves over time... Essentially you can track your total kcal deficit each week vs the weight loss and if your weight loss is more than your kcal deficit suggests it should be you know that either your measurements are out or your estimated kcal burn is (obviously the reverse is true too).

This can also be a useful way of evaluating whether or not you're losing weight at a "safe" rate.

Interestingly I still feel full from last nights meal, and usually when I go to this place I don't feel this way the next day. Body is getting used to less foods maybe?

Most likely. Your physical food volume will have decreased and your stomach will be re-familiarising itself with the benchmark of fullness.

You can consume the same amount of energy with two very different food volumes/weights. For example a 200g bag of nuts 1200 cals. 2.5kg of broccoli 1200 cals. I moderate my volume so it stays roughly the same regardless of a surplus or deficit. That way when in a deficit you don't have to suffer the difficulty of physically eating less food but you consume less energy and still feel equally full.

Pr0 tip is: "Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied". Which actually requires you to listen to your body. Take your time with eating your meals and turn off any distractions and enjoy your food :)

Edit: I still do think you should revaluate your decision to eat below your BMR right from the off of this venture, there is no benefit to doing so, only drawbacks that I already explained. You will not lose any more weight than eating at a 3-500 calorie deficit over your previous maintenance intake.

Last edited:
That BMR calculator is relatively accurate. It considers your age, height, weight to determine a rough lean mass and thus your body's basic energy needs just to literally function without movement.

Yes everyones metabolic rate will differ slightly but if you are suggesting that your BMR is almost the equivalent to that of a womans as a 17st 5'11" male, by not perceiving 1500 calories per day to be below the BMR estimation (which as a rough guess is probably in the 1,800-1,900 calorie region) then I find that hard pushed to believe.

Activity does not affect BMR, genetic predisposition and lean mass do.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is what you are referring to by the inclusion of activity. Thus if your TDEE exceeds your calorie intake for the day you have a net deficit and (if maintained) will promote weight loss. Where you ideally want to be is below TDEE but above BMR for the majority of a weight loss phase. Some people may need to eat below BMR towards the end of a deficit period to beat a plateau but it's not sustainable and really not very wise to start a deficit period in this place, regardless of how not hungry you might feel :)

(Maintenance intake is your BMR plus your average activity per day).

Last edited:
Ah that makes more sense now. BMR is just what the body uses for nown movement based activities, like heart beats, lungs, breathing, etc.

So I should be aiming for just above that then and then adjust based on what kind of physical day I do or don't have? Is that right?

The BMR calcuation was 2200 cals roughly from the link posted above. So your saying I should be taking over 2200 cals per day at the moment? Seems high

BMR.PNG

Last edited:
Your understanding of BMR vs TDEE sounds about right.

Almost 2300 kcal per day to maintain weight without doing anything at all doesn't sound particularly high given your current size tbh :)

Back
Top Bottom