petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
newspapers discussing a petrol tax/vat present amounting to 5p - that won't touch the sides.

healthcare I would probably need to drive to the doctors though @5miles - if the weather is off for cycling.

Soldato
newspapers discussing a petrol tax/vat present amounting to 5p - that won't touch the sides.

healthcare I would probably need to drive to the doctors though @5miles - if the weather is off for cycling.

They’ll get utterly crucified by the green lobby if they do that. If anything, the fuel crisis is playing into green policies rather well. Interest in domestic solar and EVs has never been higher.

I can’t see them wanting to give up all that tax revenue and taking the hit again for putting it back to ‘normal’ as is what happens after COVID measures were walked back.

The chancellor even was talking about increasing fuel duty last year. Something that in reality has had a real terms tax cut for the last 9 years.

Soldato
Pah, £1.82 for BP Ultimate yesterday, almost hit £100 to fill up (was £96).

May have to stop shoeing it.....:eek:
£99.50 here - and only because the pumped slowed so much to avoid exceeding £100 that it basically stopped. First 'blip' on the gauge went almost immediately so there must have been room lol. Think I paid £1.799 so feeling your pain!

Man of Honour
They’ll get utterly crucified by the green lobby if they do that. If anything, the fuel crisis is playing into green policies rather well. Interest in domestic solar and EVs has never been higher.

I can’t see them wanting to give up all that tax revenue and taking the hit again for putting it back to ‘normal’ as is what happens after COVID measures were walked back.

The chancellor even was talking about increasing fuel duty last year. Something that in reality has had a real terms tax cut for the last 9 years.
Agreed, it would be silly to cut fuel duty now. A VAT cut might make more sense given rising inflation, although the cost of implementation is often overlooked.

Soldato
Agreed, it would be silly to cut fuel duty now. A VAT cut might make more sense given rising inflation, although the cost of implementation is often overlooked.

Ah but tory backbenchers are calling for fuel duty cut its hurting them in the pocket with their gas guzzling behemoths and assorted chelsea tractors. The fuel duty escalator has been frozen for years under tory govt's and now they want an actual cut. Green lobbys be damned if people think they really care about that think again.

A rise in NI contributions affects them far less and Rishi is eager to please (he's also playing to the party gallery he's manoevering to be Boris's successor).

Soldato
Exactly... They're being very short sighted.

It’s also great until you are incident while playing football or something and your landed with a 5 figure bill for the privilege of having your ankle put back together.

I also think it’s really odd that labour who are all about the green policies when it’s convenient we’re backing the fuel duty cut yesterday.

Soldato
Not really, I'd rather pay for private, choose a level of service im happy with rather than putting up with what we have now.

no one is preventing you from having private healthcare so I'm unsure what the issue is unless, of course, you deem it unfair to pay into NHS whilst paying into private?

What about the people that cannot afford private?

Back
Top Bottom