Petrol

Soldato
Okay so Ive always wondered does buying the premium petrol actually make any difference?

I have a seat leon which I love but its just had the bog standard petrol put in it from asda etc, would I notice any difference if I started using the "premium" stuff

Associate
I use Shell V-Power in my Golf R. Some engines are tuned for different RON ratings (premium sometimes being a higher RON). It should say in the filler cap. Other premium fuels may not have a raised RON but may have different additives (cleaning etc)...not sure how useful they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power

From Wikipedia
In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Plus Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON (whereas V-Power's predecessor Shell Optimax was rated at 98 RON). There are two other 99 RON fuel available in the UK, namely Tesco MOMENTUM99 and more recently Costco Premium Unleaded (99 RON)

Soldato
Petrol yes, Diesel (arguably) No.

I'd agree with that. From what I understand Premium diesels pretty much are the same as standard except for a few cleaning additives.

For someone like me who does around 1300 miles a month it's more cost effective to use standard diesel and chuck half a bottle of Redex or similar in each tank full, although there's not much in it unless I happen upon a sale on the Redex.

Soldato
I'd agree with that. From what I understand Premium diesels pretty much are the same as standard except for a few cleaning additives.

For someone like me who does around 1300 miles a month it's more cost effective to use standard diesel and chuck half a bottle of Redex or similar in each tank full, although there's not much in it unless I happen upon a sale on the Redex.
Or buy at Costco and Premium Diesel is less than every where else standard Diesel. IMO the extra stuff to help keep a diesel clean is worth it anyway.
You should try Archoil, a little goes along way about £20 for a 1 liter bottle and you only need 50ml in a tank.

Soldato
I always put Momentum 99 in my Leon FR 1.4TSI, have done pretty much since the day I bought it. It's supposed to be quite a good fuel for smaller-capacity turbocharged engines, and as I don't do massive amounts of miles the slight extra cost isn't an issue. If I was racking up the miles, I'd probably be more inclined to test some different fuels.

Asda standard petrol was awful in my Mazda 3 2.0, it felt noticeably down on power and less smooth.

Caporegime
Oh god another fuel post.

It will be full of myths. People who live by refineries will tell how it’s all the same stuff, then be corrected and still not believe anything.

Soldato
OP
Would it be best then to run the current petrol in it low as possible before filling up with the better stuff to see how it goes? I generally only put in £20 at a time anyway

Soldato
Or buy at Costco and Premium Diesel is less than every where else standard Diesel. IMO the extra stuff to help keep a diesel clean is worth it anyway.
You should try Archoil, a little goes along way about £20 for a 1 liter bottle and you only need 50ml in a tank.

Costco prices would be great except the nearest one to me is 25 miles away in the opposite direction of my normal travel and I don't qualify for a card :(

Soldato
Oh god another fuel post.

It will be full of myths. People who live by refineries will tell how it’s all the same stuff, then be corrected and still not believe anything.

Why don't you post some facts and debunk the myths? You're clearly knowledgeable on the subject but you seem to shy away from posting much information!

Caporegime
I have many times and it ends the same each time

Continuing to post the same stuff expecting a different result is insanity isn’t it.

hehe love these threads :) There are so many factors that come into play
Some ECUs will us it, some wont
Quality of fuel is variable, and you can be unlucky. (I used to "know" a girl who worked at a petrol station and she said they would frequently drop below the minimum level they were supposed to supply from, so i you happened to fill up then, you wuold get a bum tank potentially)
etc etc etc

Plus of course things change. Go back to the fuel strikes I lived near one of the blocked fuel depots. Not sure the correct technical term, it was shipped in, then road tankered out. When the blockades were lifted literally every brand was supplied locally from there, was that normal, I don't know, I wouldn't use it as gospel for sure.

If you think it may be good for you, just try it. You will need to use a few tanks though is normally the view. I would also add that unless your journey is highly repetetive under close circumstances your going to struggle to say for sure.
My jourey is highly repetetive, but over the really hot period my MPG went up by a couple of MPG (indicated) I was driving exactly the same route, same time, every day of the week as normal. I also had the AC on which I dont normally do. Literally the only thing that changed was the temp, the only thing I can think is that the roads being so hot were increasing tyre pressure and hence reducing resistance. When the temps dropped my MPG (indicated) again dropped back the couple of MPG.
If I had of happened to try super in my car then I would probably have attributed to that. :)

Man of Honour
MPG is expected to be higher in hot weather for a number of reasons, not just rolling resistance as you mention but also stuff like it taking less time to get the engine warmed up to optimal temperature (obviously more of an issue for short journeys).
No idea how much difference it makes but technically you should also expect less drag due to the air density being lower, I suspect it is pretty negligible however.

MPG is expected to be higher in hot weather for a number of reasons, not just rolling resistance as you mention but also stuff like it taking less time to get the engine warmed up to optimal temperature (obviously more of an issue for short journeys).
No idea how much difference it makes but technically you should also expect less drag due to the air density being lower, I suspect it is pretty negligible however.

Good point on the warm up, I forget that. I was surprised how noticeable though, I would have though 20 vs 30 would be not much diff, and that using the AC at 30 all the time vs mostly not at 20 would have negated the diff.

Associate
On my Focus ST225 there is a noticeable difference in the engine when running Shell V power, I don't always fill up with that, usually standard 95 ron is enough I just go for the premium stuff every ~1k miles. The Monaro I always fill up on the good stuff as the guy I bought it from only ever used that.

Back
Top Bottom