Petty? Yes. Illegal? Not sure...messing with a morally corrupt car park

Associate
Back story. My partner, 8 month old son and myself met up with some friends using a private car park on the outskirts. We arrived and I tried and failed to pay using their online payment system. Partner tried too and failed - car park wasn't being recognised.

So got out the car, my partner has a broken wrist so I had to sort the buggy, backpacks, baby etc. Then went to the physical pay machine. There was a small queue so had to wait. Ended up paying for a 4 hour ticket knowing I'd know need 2.

Several weeks later, got a £100 fine in the post - I failed to pay within 10 mins of arrival. Mitigating circumstances I thought, so appealed, also showing my 4 hour ticket as evidence. Appeal rejected. Took it to The Independent Appeals Service, who also rejected my claim on technicality. I paid within 15 mins of entering the car park but not 10, so 'breached' their terms and conditions. 15 mins delay cost me £100.

To me this is morally unjust and a scummy thing to do, so was pretty furious. Was thinking of ways to get back at them...and found their business and car park not 'claimed' by anyone on Google Business...

Anyway, short story. I've taken 'ownership' of the business on Google, removed the car park from google maps, changed the type of service to Waste Management, added disclaimers to their 'Info' section saying they're a scamming, morally corrupt business. So it no longer shows up when searching for 'parking' in the general area. My question is, is this illegal, or just my own version or morally wrong? They can easily claim it back off me by verifying themselves to google. Just feels like a sense of balance has been returned. Private car parks are notoriously cut-throat owners/organisations, so feels good to hopefully hurt their bottom line a bit!

Permabanned
Really annoys me the dvla sell driver personal information to these dirtbags. The bpa is meant to make them legit but it doesn't achieve that. Crims who assault customers over parking can still run parking companies.

Soldato
I would fight the fine, seems pretty unreasonable terms. You did everything in your power to pay when you arrived, their systems failed. You overpaid in terms of time so I think you'd have an easy case there.

IANAL: but what you did could be pretty slanderous and fraud.

Associate
OP
Just to clarify, I have paid the fine. Both appeals failed with plenty of evidence and they sent me a letter saying payment or court. At that point it's enforcable. Zero compassion, room for human error, understanding on their part. Hence screwing with them. Yes two wrongs don't make a right, but it's certainly made me feel better :D

Don
sounds pretty bs to me that they're charging you.

not your fault if the systems they had setup for payment don't work correctly.

I would send one final letter saying that I was prepared to fight in court and will not correspond until proceedings issues, they will almost certainly go away

Associate
i think you messing with them is justified.
It's a shame you didn't post when you first received the ticket though - there are always numerous ways of getting out of paying these. In my case, various POFA breaches when pursuing the registered keeper etc.

Man of Honour
I'd be careful claiming they're scammers, while it's morally questionable that they've upheld the fine they've not scammed you. If they really want to make life difficult you're going to find it hard to argue it's not slander/defamation/whatever similar thing it falls under.

Still pretty funny though and to most of us completely just.

Associate
OP
was it a council car park then? I would have called their bluff if not
No, was a private car park. I did my reading, if an independant rejects your claim (they nearly always do), you're liable to pay. Balance of cost, just paying it would be cheaper than court, so opted for that. Thats the main reason it's scummy - they know they've got you over a barrel.

Associate
OP
I'd be careful claiming they're scammers, while it's morally questionable that they've upheld the fine they've not scammed you. If they really want to make life difficult you're going to find it hard to argue it's not slander/defamation/whatever similar thing it falls under.
Fair point. Might tweak it to remove defamation, but make it clear they give out morally unjustified fines, and not sway from the truth.

Caporegime
Just to clarify, I have paid the fine. Both appeals failed with plenty of evidence and they sent me a letter saying payment or court.

I mean you'd have perhaps been better off simply taking half a day off and turning up at court if you feel strongly enough to spend time thinking about taking revenge then starting a forum thread about the revenge you've taken etc..

I doubt they'd have much of a case, you'd both tried to pay online and then have been stuck in a queue while attempting to buy a ticket (which you've purchased for 4 hours anyway when only needing too thus your extra 5 mins beyond their 10 min grace period clearly isn't some bluff to sneak in more time in the carpark.

Did you read any online guides or seek advice before the two appeals? For example, I think money saving expert forums has advice on this etc..

Soldato
I mean you'd have perhaps been better off simply taking half a day off and turning up at court if you feel strongly enough to spend time thinking about taking revenge then starting a forum thread about the revenge you've taken etc..

I doubt they'd have much of a case, you'd both tried to pay online and then have been stuck in a queue while attempting to buy a ticket (which you've purchased for 4 hours anyway when only needing too thus your extra 5 mins beyond their 10 min grace period clearly isn't some bluff to sneak in more time in the carpark.

Did you read any online guides or seek advice before the two appeals? For example, I think money saving expert forums has advice on this etc..
You don't even need to turn up to court... it is all online now. Agreed with the above though.

Legal Beagles is the place to go rather than MSE.

Back
Top Bottom