Poll: PFA Player of the Year

Who should win it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
The awards ceremony is absolutely tragic.

Edit: Jesus, this is car crash TV and Manish Bhasin has been a complete and utter ****. He's treating it like an exam hall rather than an awards ceremony.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is going to sound weird but I'd probably go Sterling over Sane, despite being more impressed by the latter. Basically Sterling has had more impact but he's got more experience of the league; in terms of potential Sane is right up there and could eclipse him in future. Sterling has a touch of the Theo Walcott's about him, he'll run through on goal and you are never totally confident he will put it away.

Don
OP
This is going to sound weird but I'd probably go Sterling over Sane, despite being more impressed by the latter. Basically Sterling has had more impact but he's got more experience of the league; in terms of potential Sane is right up there and could eclipse him in future. Sterling has a touch of the Theo Walcott's about him, he'll run through on goal and you are never totally confident he will put it away.
I assume you're basing this purely on goal output? If so then I don't think that's 100% fair as their roles in the side aren't quite the same. Sterling, much like Salah for us, is a wide forward - he starts from a wide position but from there he has total freedom to come infield and particularly to get into the 6 yard box. Sane on the other hand is very much a winger - just look at the games vs Liverpool and you'll see Sane permanently stuck out on the touchline. It will be interesting to see if Sane's role changes much next season with Mendy being fit. Walker provides the width for City down the right, which allows Sterling to come inside but without a natural attacking left back Sane has to provide the width on the left.

I really rate Sane and of all the players we've been linked with over the past 2-3 years that we haven't got, he's the one I really wish we signed - the power, close control and the way he can change direction when dribbling at speed is incredible and reminds me of John Barnes.

Man of Honour
Just my impression of impact, goals obviously have a bearing on that (he has double the goals and more assists) but also the decisiveness of those goals, e.g. injury time goals to earn points, that's what makes the impression. I know they are different players, as I said Sane has impressed me more than Sterling this season because he's more of a newcomer and has probably been the best winger / runner with the ball.

Don
OP
Just my impression of impact, goals obviously have a bearing on that (he has double the goals and more assists) but also the decisiveness of those goals, e.g. injury time goals to earn points, that's what makes the impression. I know they are different players, as I said Sane has impressed me more than Sterling this season because he's more of a newcomer and has probably been the best winger / runner with the ball.
Fair enough. Sterling's certainly scored some important goals but he's also missed bucket loads of chances too and in some cases those misses have cost City points - the Utd game recently being the best example. Interestingly, despite the difference in position, Sane's minutes per goal or assist isn't much worse than Sterling's - Sane gets a goal or assist ever 98 minutes in the League compared to 89 minutes for Sterling. Both records are very good but for a non forward, Sane's is insane - the next best would be Silva with a goal or assist ever 117 minutes.
How well off are Liverpool now? I could imagine a few teams trying to sign him up.
Our revenue will have increased by at least £70m this year compared to last and we received a massive transfer fee from Coutinho just a few months ago. I think it's safe to say there's no pressure on us to sell.

Soldato
while we won't sell I wonder what his value would be, £150m?

Yeah I'd expect it to be around that, maybe more if a bidding war breaks out.

Our revenue will have increased by at least £70m this year compared to last and we received a massive transfer fee from Coutinho just a few months ago. I think it's safe to say there's no pressure on us to sell.

Well hopefully your chairman isn't seeing pound signs! Your last 2 great players were both taken, albeit for massive amounts of money by Barcelona. And it's hard to get momentum when that constantly happens.

Don
OP
Well hopefully your chairman isn't seeing pound signs! Your last 2 great players were both taken, albeit for massive amounts of money by Barcelona. And it's hard to get momentum when that constantly happens.
Whenever we've sold players all the money has been reinvested into the squad so the whole chairman seeing pound signs thing is a bit of a myth. In the case of Suarez, his release clause was triggered by Barca but generally speaking, if a player wants to leave he usually does eventually. One thing we've shown both with Suarez and Coutinho though is that we won't make it easy. I don't think there's much prospect of Salah leaving this summer but I think it would cost a fair bit more than what Coutinho went for if he were to leave.

Man of Honour
Interestingly, despite the difference in position, Sane's minutes per goal or assist isn't much worse than Sterling's - Sane gets a goal or assist ever 98 minutes in the League compared to 89 minutes for Sterling. Both records are very good but for a non forward, Sane's is insane - the next best would be Silva with a goal or assist ever 117 minutes.

Looks like there is something weird with the official fantasy football stats, as it has Sterling down as 14 assists second only to KDB (which would have given him a goal/assist every 72mins) but the (non-FF) stats page on the same site says he has 8. I guess the official stats don't award assists for winning pens/freekicks that result in a direct goal or something.

Don
OP
Looks like there is something weird with the official fantasy football stats, as it has Sterling down as 14 assists second only to KDB (which would have given him a goal/assist every 72mins) but the (non-FF) stats page on the same site says he has 8. I guess the official stats don't award assists for winning pens/freekicks that result in a direct goal or something.
I use whoscored and they only have 8 assists. I'd imagine you're right and for fantasy football purposes winning a pen counts as an assist but statto's don't agree with it.

Back
Top Bottom