Phanteks T30 - The 120mm Fan to Beat in 2021

Associate
I think a little extra context is needed here. It's a 120mm fan, but a 30mm depth fan too. We don't compare 10mm or 15mm fans to their normal 25mm counterparts as there is obvious advantages from the depth size.

So I think it's better and more accurate to say, it's "the" 30mm depth 120mm fan to beat in 2021 thus far (and I don't really see anyone else competing at this level and class bracket).

For standard 25mm depth 120mm fans, you're still looking at the Arctic P12 and the Noctua A12x25.

Associate
OP
For sure bigger is better. I’ve no doubt a fan 38mm thick would be even better still.

I think the build quality looks decent and produces similar noise levels to noctua at similar RPMs. That extra 5mm thickness gives more pressure and flow so you get better performance.

Admittedly it’s not like for like but if you can squeeze in the slightly larger fan then why not?

Associate
For sure bigger is better. I’ve no doubt a fan 38mm thick would be even better still

Aye, that's the theory as it'll go. But I imagine even the extra depth would have limitations at some point, but at an extra 5mm, it'll be enough to be more noticable, over say a 60mm depth increase taking it to 85mm, since the fan blade design probably won't physically be able to accomodate and provide any further beneifts at that point (guessing here).

I think the build quality looks decent and produces similar noise levels to noctua at similar RPMs. That extra 5mm thickness gives more pressure and flow so you get better performance.

Admittedly it’s not like for like but if you can squeeze in the slightly larger fan then why not?

Definitely. It's just direct from the video names, it's not clear that it's got the added depth to it too. It's like everyone telling those super small nuc or whatever to get Arctic P12s or Noctua A12x25's but their clearance in their case left is only suitable for 10/15mm fans. Just wanted to make sure the required info is there too is all. :)

Associate
I don't see a problem with merging, but same topic points are brought up and it might be helpful if there's a thread on this forum as well, since some users may want to use these fans in non water cooling situations too.

Permabanned
IMO this is correct section for the thread so bring it here, there is nothing about WC in that topic.

I only suggested as I like to watch/read/input in this but ideally not in two threads.

Associate
In gpu you have a duopoly
With fans I will rather buy 3 Arctic 140mm fans for the price of a single phanteks fatboy

I don't really think the duopoly was the major a deal in the factor, they just kept pushing prices up for their "premium" line and people continued to buy them, and we are where we are now. These fans are similarly also being considered to be "premium", so that's why I said it's likely to just continue heading up from here on out. Even if the improvements from last gen and each other are minimal.

Soldato
I have 3-pack of Phanteks T30 fans inbound, so as soon as they arrive I will run some testing in current Evolv ITX build. It's using 2x PH-F140MP intakes with no exhaust fans now. Probably be next week. Will give case intake air temp vs inside air temp vs component temps. Maybe exhaust air temp to just for fun.

Now I need to find some Arctic P12 fans for comparison testing.

Associate
I have 3-pack of Phanteks T30 fans inbound, so as soon as they arrive I will run some testing in current Evolv ITX build. It's using 2x PH-F140MP intakes with no exhaust fans now. Probably be next week. Will give case intake air temp vs inside air temp vs component temps. Maybe exhaust air temp to just for fun.

Now I need to find some Arctic P12 fans for comparison testing.
Following, as I'd love to see how the results come out

Soldato
I put them into front of Evolv mATX with all openings in mounting panel not covered by them taped off so air they push into motherboard compartment has to flow back and out, not leak around into front to go in circles. T30 fans are on performance mode. System has MSI B450M Mortar Max motherboard, so am trying to use Command Center to setup fan curve to idle at 600-650rpm at 40-45c CPU temp and ramping up to 980-1020rpm at 60-65c CPU temp. Sadly MSI fan control software isn't much good.

All I've done so far is switch Phanteks' 2x cases fans that are basically variable voltage PH-F140MP fans to T-30 fans on similar temp to rpm curves in normal daily use. Resulting temps and noise results are slightly in favor of T30 over PH-F140MP. I haven't pushed system hard enough to get them 1100rpm. At same load 2x 14Os were at same speed.

I'm really liking these T30 fans! Their sound profile is nice and quiet, and when they do run fast enough to be heard have a very pleasant sound to my ears.

I'm having problems with some of my fan test equipment so please be patient. Once I get test setup working properly I'll hopefully be able to get some technical data. Not sure how important it is. I do want to run some much higher load tests.

Back
Top Bottom