Phrases you can't stand...

Soldato
Most reasonably cultured people could cope. Even Del Boy did it in Only Fools and Horses.

Bonjour rodders.

I would have thought everyone would cope, we use words from different lanagues all the time that just becomes the norm (cafe, patio, chocolate etc etc) or just make up words like hello when there isn’t a word for it.

Bog standard practice is every day life.

Man of Honour
Can't stand when women call each other 'Hen' and 'Chick'.

Chick is a bit dated, maybe somewhere in U.K. women use it about other women, it’s certainly an old Americanism, maybe taken from the Spanish, chica, but if you don’t like ‘hen’, I’d give Scotland a wide berth, particularly Glasgow :cry:

Associate
I would have thought everyone would cope, we use words from different lanagues all the time that just becomes the norm (cafe, patio, chocolate etc etc) or just make up words like hello when there isn’t a word for it.

Bog standard practice is every day life.

Most people in the UK can't even cope with pronouncing foreign names, so it seems odd that they would be able to cope with foreign words for greetings and goodbyes.

Man of Honour
Most people in the UK can't even cope with pronouncing foreign names, so it seems odd that they would be able to cope with foreign words for greetings and goodbyes.

A friend of ours who spent a couple of years in Paris when his wife’s job took her there did his best to pick up the lingo.
On their return, aware of my French connection, he’d finish emails and WhatsApps to me with “à la prochaine”, and if he and his wife went out to dinner with us, as we left the restaurant to go our respective ways he’d say “à bientôt.”

Associate
A friend of ours who spent a couple of years in Paris when his wife’s job took her there did his best to pick up the lingo.
On their return, aware of my French connection, he’d finish emails and WhatsApps to me with “à la prochaine”, and if he and his wife went out to dinner with us, as we left the restaurant to go our respective ways he’d say “à bientôt.”

That's still kind of cultural appropriation that he expects anyone with a 'French connection' to be able to understand French.

Kind of like the whole 'No, where are your parent's from' thing.

Soldato
“I’m not saying *controversial remarks go here*, but….”

No, you are saying that thing, you’re just suffixing it with a ‘but’ so you can distance yourself from what you’ve literally just said, just in case there’s a backlash to what’s usually a bitchy, passive aggressive comment that’s just been made.

Man of Honour
That's still kind of cultural appropriation that he expects anyone with a 'French connection' to be able to understand French.

Kind of like the whole 'No, where are your parent's from' thing.

I take your point, although I don’t know if he knew anyone else with a French connection, but it wasn’t really cultural appropriation when he hit me with a couple of phrases, he knew that I could speak the language, and he’d met a couple of my French relatives prior to him leaving for Paris.
Indeed, although he really could handle French, he’d still occasionally ask me if X was masculine or feminine, as in un couteau, (a knife), m, or une fourchette, (a fork), f.

Associate
I take your point, although I don’t know if he knew anyone else with a French connection, but it wasn’t really cultural appropriation when he hit me with a couple of phrases, he knew that I could speak the language, and he’d met a couple of my French relatives prior to him leaving for Paris.
Indeed, although he really could handle French, he’d still occasionally ask me if X was masculine or feminine, as in un couteau, (a knife), m, or une fourchette, (a fork), f.

He's taking the mick, or does he genuinely not know about Duolingo?

Man of Honour
He's taking the mick, or does he genuinely not know about Duolingo?

I’ve no idea, he died around six years ago, had he been writing a letter or email he probably would have researched a noun for masculinity or femininity, but he’d sometimes ask me about male or female nouns when we were talking in a bar or restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom