• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PhysX launched today.

Soldato
More, Im not sure this will take on.. Its just more expense to the pc gamer. Lots of which have moved over to consoles already.

I can see it taking off if graphics card makers starting intergrating it into there cards, like having a `X1900 XT-PHY` - But to use an addon card is just more expense and hastle.

Associate
OP
At $100 (£65) maybe. But I dont fancy paying out $400 (£250) for a physx card and £250 for a graphics card. If thats what it takes to run games at full spec its going to kill the PC gaming market even more. I probably would buy one but I love my PC. Most people wont. There is an article at the bottem saying the PS3 will use the physx software/engine but not the chip. This might be possible with future graphics cards.

Soldato
There are hardly any PCs about worth playing anyway. Add to this PC games that will use this technology.. hmmm, This card will be strictly for tech demos for a while.

Man of Honour
There's no point unless the games developers actually include support for these things in the games. As i have said before it's not just us that needs to support it. The main support needs to come from the software devs otherwise you will have an expensive silicone card sitting in your pc doing nothing.

There was a thread on here yesterday that suggested that Sli rigs will be able to provide physics support with a driver release that will utilise the second card to do the physics bit instead of sending it to the cpu. Maybe the physx card is dead before it even starts.

Soldato
Does anyone know when the Havok Physics card is being released? I take it that is a different product. So there is the Ageia one and the Nvidia one??

Cheers!

EDIT: Just read the article again and so Nvidia are doing an SLI Physics where the second card does the physics all through an upgraded driver. Interesting.

Last edited:
Associate
GAMEfreak said:
the manufacturing rights were sold to BFG etc today, all we have to do now is wait on them to manufacture and sell them.

BFG & ASUS already have the cards built & sitting around in warehouses as of awhile ago. Can't remember how long.

According to article below modders can already get there hands on the cards but have to sign an NDA.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30469

But there is no point in getting one at this time due to lack of ability to properly use it. I for one would love to buy one & then see game developers update/patch there games to support it.

Permabanned
How much does AGEIA PhysX cost?

PhysX accelerators are very affordable with an MSRP of $299
That's not affordable, that would be about £200 when it's out in britain.
I wouldn't want to spend £200 on a physx card and another £200 or more on a normal gfx card, it's too expensive.

Just saw the faq posted up and it said it's compatible with all today's hardware, so i'm guessing it's a pci card.

Back
Top Bottom