1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pi4 - Plex Media Server - Buffering issues on 4K

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor and Single Board Computers' started by jrwagh333, May 23, 2020.

1. jrwagh333

Mobster

So I am trying to setup a Plex Media Server to stream a single 4K stream to an Xbox One S

I originally was using Raspbian but I was having issues with one movie that I had that would bigger ever few minutes or so.

I discoverd that the H.265 hardware decoder in the Pi won't work unless using Libreelec.

I have now moved over to this and I am having the exact same issue.

I have a number of 4K, HDR10 files that stream Direct Play to the Xbox with no issue at all.
    The file I am having issue with is also showing as Direct Play being true. This is why I am stumped. CPU usage doesn't go over 30% on the Pi and other HDR10 content plays without issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pulse

Mobster

There was one settings that I set that seemed to solve all the issues I was having when trying to play 4K to a Roku box.

May or may not work.... If you go into Plex on the Xbox and then go into "Settings" > "Video" > "Local Quality" and set it to Original.

This means that Plex won't decode/encode (whichever..) any films and will just stream it.

3. jrwagh333

Mobster

Thanks for the help Pulse - But unfortunately I have already tried this.

4. Marky

Capodecina

I haven’t used the Xbox Plex app before, but in the settings of the app, is there a setting called something like Audio Passthrough. Try enabling or selecting HDMI for it.

5. jrwagh333

Mobster

Ok thanks will take a look

6. jrwagh333

Mobster

Moved over to Jellyfin and not added any 4K media that is over 25mbps and everything is OK so far.

Not sure why it wouldn't be able to handle 40mbps 4K direct play? Using an external HDD on the USB3 connection. Happens with both ethernet and wifi

7. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Are these MKVs or MP4s?

My Plex server is a bit beefier than a Pi4 but 4k content is a slideshow unless the containers are MP4