[PIC_THREAD] Wildlife, Animals, Birds, Zoo

Soldato
OP
Sad times, one of our cats suffered a stroke, then another that left him blind. The amazing thing is that he still found his way around the house to his favourite spots. Very sad to see though, he eventually passed away in his sleep after a short while. 18 years was a good run though!

Soldato
OP
hehe :) Yeah it definitely helps when you don't have to crop much. It's a nice shot with all the colours and the detail in the bird is still pretty good.

I guess that lens is sharpest at F8 is it?

It appears so, I haven't used it a great deal yet. I got it mainly for airshows and motorsports really, I don't shoot wildlife. It was a miserable grey overcast day so I knew I'd be at high ISO anyway so just left it at f8 to see how it fared. All shots are handheld, I just grab them as I walk around with my daughter.

This is more like the actual colours on the day:

Slimbridge WWT by jj_glos, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
Haven't looked in here for a while, nice shots both :)

I just had a walk lunchtime, had to get out of the house. I had to go out and use my new (to me) 1D4 so some snaps of the local wildlife down by the canal. I was playing around with AF modes so had some inconsistent results with the Tamron 150-600, quite easily user error as well!

First of all the obligatory duck photos with new gear :D (missed focus on the first, or something, not sure)

Duck by jj_glos, on Flickr

Duck by jj_glos, on Flickr

The Swan family were out and about.

Swan by jj_glos, on Flickr

Swan by jj_glos, on Flickr

I did then try for a few BiF but nothing was around in range. Then walking back home I spied this little fella in the trees by our house:

Squirrel by jj_glos, on Flickr

Aaaargh, I was still in TV mode for Bif, so I quickly changed before he moved off as ISO 10000 as above is a bit high! I was too slow though! :D

He did settle a little way up a tree afterwards :)

Cropped shot:

Soldato
OP
Nice (I like the other ones on flickr too).
It's not too far from me. Worth a visit? Do you get a good 'show'?

I'd say so, they do the displays well. They tell you a lot of info and are pretty entertaining. They get the birds flying right in amongst you. I did get some shots in flight and only needed a 70-200 as you are that close. Actually when they have the birds flying in amongst you its too close to get a shot as it happens so quickly. There are opportunities with a longer lens with the bigger birds as they fly a bigger circuit.

They have shows at 13:30, 15:00 and 16:00. With different birds flying in each show (each lasts 1 hour, 15mins for each different type of bird). You can also come and go as you please one you have paid, Batsford arboretum is on the same site.

This little fella was awesome, a great little character :)

Cotswold Falconry Centre May 2015 by jj_glos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom