Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Associate
Hi Guys,

Was out doing some shopping with my partner at the weekend in John Lewis and decided to treat myself to a new TV as my 50PK350 is getting on for 6 years old now. I looked at a few different TVs but they all paled compared to the OLED.

So we picked it up and took it home and the picture is incredible, simply beautiful. Because this was a spur of the moment purchase I have not properly researched the TV other than knowing that OLED > all from reading various reviews. My AV Receiver is an Onkyo one that came with the HT-S5305 package I got back in 2010. HTPC is based around an i5 4590 using onboard video.

I have a few questions:

1) I can only get a 1080p feed from the Amp, I am guessing this is because it will not do 4K pass through. If I get a HDMI 2.0a cable and connect the HTPC to the TV directly and use ARC that could work until I get a new Amp? The LG TV does support ARC 5.1 but not HD Audio.

2) Do I need to fiddle about with any settings in Windows? Colour?

3) Calibration, I've seen this calibration video from AVForums. Good place to start?

4) I've noticed some blurring/pixelation on some panning shots. This was a Remux of Spectre through Plex amongst a few titles. Do I need to change the motion settings? 24p related?

Cheers guys!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I watched The Siege of Jadotville in 4K on Netflix last night. This was running on the TV app and I used ARC for 5.1. I was getting a fantastic picture but I am still getting some kind of weird pixelation/motion blur on certain scenes. It's really quite distracting so certainly not something I can deal with.

Soldato
Is trumotion off and real cinema on?

I turn off all processing, turn real cinema on and stick it in ISF dark and don't get any problems. Netflix isn't the greatest source though to be fair, you're always going to get some motion blur at 24p. Trumotion locks it to 100p but it will at pixelation due inserting its own frames to make motion smoother. I'm led to believe the updates have reduced that pixelation....maybe try putting it in user and using fairly low de-judder settings if you prefer 100p. I personally prefer 24p but the bigger the screen, the more noticeable motion blur is unfortunately, especially on questionable sources like netflix. Watching UHD blurays and everything is...perfect.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes, both of the settings are as you described. I have not changed any settings to do with de-juddering though. I watched The Grand Tour in 4K HDR, that was perfect and I had no issues. I watched a copy of The BFG 1080p Blu Ray and that was an awesome picture but still had some motion blur but no where near as much as Netflix. I will experiment with the de-judder settings tonight. Thanks for the help :)

Soldato
Have you sorted this ? I'm looking at buying one on Friday potentially.

What he is referring to will exist on all OLED and LCD panels at 24p. It's a product of the sample and hold processing that is used in every TV sold today. The only way to get rid of it is interpolation at 100p which again, will cause pixelation on any TV that uses it. Some people like the 100p look, I think it makes the motion look too doctumatary like.......24p has much more of a film feel but hey each to their own. If you stick Trumotion on user and adjust de-judder to fairly low, it will be locked at 100p and you shouldn't see any pixelation or artifacting, trumotion is pretty good.

As I said before, people usually only notice on larger TVs and using crap sources like Netflix. If you have a laptop, play something in sync with the TV on Netflix and you will see the motion imperfections exist on the laptop in exactly the same places as the tv, they are just easier to notice on the TV because the screen is bigger.

Last edited:
Soldato
When i had my 65inch OLED calibrated, the guy that calibrated it recommended to use one of 2 settings for "True Motion". Off for all content coming through the sky box, unless a downloaded film. When watching a Blu Ray or any downloaded film (sky, Netflix or Amazon), set "True Motion" to "User" and then set De-Judder and De-Blur to 0.
When i do this the difference is obvious and instant and is how i've been dealing with any motion issue, it just works.

Associate
What he is referring to will exist on all OLED and LCD panels at 24p

I do not get this problem on my 60 inch lg, although not a Oled, i have read that is one of the down falls of having Oled, motion blur, very common.

I know my tv isn't probably up to oled standards it still looks stunning in 4k ultra hd. i do not apear to have motion blue i can detect, and Dolby variant is stunning.

btw my tv is a LG 65UH850V

Soldato
Well no that's not true. Your TV uses sample and hold just like an OLED and that is where motion blur/stutter while panning comes from at 24p without BFI. OLED's actually have a better pixel response time and if anything handle motion better.

If you're not seeing it on your LCD then either you are not susceptible (some people aren't) or interpolation is turned on.

Caporegime
They do, but they have different internal chipsets.

Basically the C6, E6 and G6 do 3D so have a proprietary LG chipset. The B6 doesn't have 3D and has a different third party chipset.

Soldato
LG have updated the C6, E6 and G6 in the states with a HDR game mode which brings lag down to 34ms

No update for the B6 yet :(
This is a US update might take a while longer for the LG UK to pull their finger out but at lest it's I know it's coming!! :D
They do, but they have different internal chipsets.

Basically the C6, E6 and G6 do 3D so have a proprietary LG chipset. The B6 doesn't have 3D and has a different third party chipset.
I believe B6 is a realtek chip.

Back
Top Bottom