• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Picture of AMD ''Cayman'' Prototype Surfaces

Associate
I dont think its been shopped. If you look you see that there is a monitor connected to one of the dvi slots. It appears to be attached to a pcie slot but the but the card has been cropped around and the background replaced with black hence the missing/cutoff crossfire and power connectors

Caporegime
It's cropped in such a way to hide the rest of the image as there's probably serial numbers and the like visible that could be used to trace the source of the image. It's very common to see such images on pre-release hardware, they all look "dodgy".

Yes, cropping does not mean its a fake image, hiding the mobo/any identifying images is incredibly common, even more so if theres only a very limited number that have been sent out for testing and in specific systems.

No idea why people think its a triple slot cooler, the backplate has the exact same spacing as my 5850's, the only thing I can figure is because the hdmi/display ports are very narrow the space between them and the vent holes looks rather big.

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/503#6

best pic I can find that shows the same pci bracket screw holes, spacing, the two vents near the xfire connectors(replaced on the new shroud by a third long hole instead of the 6 little ones).

Associate
How much of a boost are we expecting? I was expecting more of a rebadge, with effectively a 6870 being a 5870 revision (i.e. runs cooler for less power, but stock speed not changing much, maybe a few more ROPs, 5-10% faster for a price drop).

Will this be the case, or will it be a proper generational change?

Soldato
How much of a boost are we expecting? I was expecting more of a rebadge, with effectively a 6870 being a 5870 revision (i.e. runs cooler for less power, but stock speed not changing much, maybe a few more ROPs, 5-10% faster for a price drop).

I think if we take the performance improvments from the 4870 to 4890 move and then add 20% ~ we should be close. Prices should stay around the current RRP's.

Soldato
Seems odd they would have a full rename 5xxx to 6xxx for limited performance improvement. Must be more than just performance to this release, surely? (Yes I realise it's all guess work at the moment).

Soldato

Who knows...

This is what I am expecting though (small increase in performance via a clockspeed bump, and an improvement to power efficiency). I'm not expecting any real architectural changes, but we will have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom