plan for collapse of Thames Water

Soldato
Mine is Anglian water so 30% increase to 682........ IF that helps to improve infrastructure i am ok with that personally, water and sewage for under £60 a month is ok I guess (though it depends how much you use, i presume this is some crappy average like they give us with energy usage?), but cambridge/Affinity/Portsmouth water as well as SES.... ? like 413x said... WTH?

edit danlightbulb explained some of it whilst i posted!.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is quite a large bill difference between regions of the UK already. A number of companies are consistently at the cheaper end of the scale and it's primarily due to how the regulatory capital value was set for the 1990 privatisation.

And yes these are average figures.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even thought dwr cymru is quite expensive. Luckily our bill is quite low.
25ppm usually although it's 22ppm for next 12 months due to being in credit.

Thank goodness it's not for profit. Else it would probably be 2x the cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Must still be quite cheap?
I've never really looked at the breakdown though.
Not super cheap really. Totals add up to over £500 I think. Its not metered.

Actually just checked, water bill is £260 and wastewater is £120. So not bad.

Thank goodness it's not for profit. Else it would probably be 2x the cost.
Yeah... no.

Last edited:
As a customer of SE Water, I'm glad Macquerie Bank didn't own them for a time.

I suspect the owning fund(s) and the amount of money they bled from the utility over the years has an awful lot to do with those projected rise figures.

Soldato
At this rate, I'm going to be paying more for water per month than for gas & electric :cry:
I already do… my water bill is already bigger than my entire energy bill that includes an electric car and electric heating (heat pump).

Unfortunately I can’t take the same approach I did with energy (make my own) with water, I don’t have the space for a well and a bio digester sewage plant.

Soldato
At the end of the day if we want the extra investment in water infrastructure (supply, distribution, and treatment) required to sort out water shortages and prevent sewage releases then there will either have to be massive bill increases or massive direct subsidy from the government. And I suspect the government isn't going to start pumping money into water companies...

Last edited:
Soldato
At the end of the day if we want the extra investment in water infrastructure (supply, distribution, and treatment) required to sort out water shortages and prevent sewage releases then there will either have to be massive bill increases or massive direct subsidy from the government. And I suspect the government isn't going to start pumping money into water companies...

These water companies are beholden to share holders, last year their profits were astronomical and instead of investing that profit in the business, it's handed to the share holders. That is the problem and has been for nigh on 20+ years.

Back
Top Bottom