Plane on a treadmill question

Man of Honour
I've just been watching a Jackie Chan movie where they jump from a train onto grass.
If the train is moving at 100mph would they hit the ground at 100mph and therefore kill or maim themselves?
My 1 brain cell says that would happen.

Caporegime
yes... if the train is going at 100mph then so are they... well they'll slow down a little bit due to air resistance but in the time it take for them to hit the ground that isn't going to be by much

Soldato
They'd still break their legs but with the added insult of getting their faces ground off when they get thrown back.

Now if the train was on a treadmill doing 100 they'd be fine.

Caporegime
I've just been watching a Jackie Chan movie where they jump from a train onto grass.
If the train is moving at 100mph would they hit the ground at 100mph and therefore kill or maim themselves?
My 1 brain cell says that would happen.

They'd slow down a fair bit die to windblast etc but ywah theyd hit the ground like 70+mph and have severe injuries

If they were wearing a learher one piece motorcycle suit they'd stand a decent chance though if it was smooth tarmac and rhey could slide.

The roll though is the worst thing rolling makes you flail whoch slams your limbs into the ground at high speed over and over breaking all your bones.

Ideally you just slide in one position oh and hitting any solid objecy would be instant game over/massive injury

Rember the road race rider last year who came off an slid into a drop kerb

Best helmet, leathers and airbags monthy can buy but headbutting a curb is a broken neck

Soldato
The train is going forwards at 100mph but the ground is going backwards at 100mph so they would cancel each other out and Chan would be fine. Physics facts.

Soldato
The roll though is the worst thing rolling makes you flail whoch slams your limbs into the ground at high speed over and over breaking all your bones.

What if you're drunk, though? Being drunk always seems to make you invincible! I'm certain that being drunk has saved me from sustaining mortal injuries many a time!

Soldato
What if you're drunk, though? Being drunk always seems to make you invincible! I'm certain that being drunk has saved me from sustaining mortal injuries many a time!

There's a limit to how far being floppy can take you :D.

The other possibility is your stunts were quite tame but being drunk exaggerated them in your mind?

Soldato
I've fallen down an escalator and emerged unscathed apart from a few bruises! :D

Slightly less forces involved than 100mph to full stop then :D.

Majority of injuries are caused by trying to break a fall iirc. Being drunk can prevent you from successfully breaking your fall (or even trying) so would reduce the injuries.

Never really understood why the brains natural reaction to falling is to stick your arms out and break a wrist whereas if you just hit the floor chances are you'd hurt yourself less.

I don't think I've ever had more than a bruise when drunk but I've had numerous broken bones when sober :confused:. Thus being drunk is good for me :D.

Caporegime

100mph crash speeds well exceed pretty much anything you'll normally encounter.

But in the world of motorcycle racing they are common and well researched.

One inovations was scaffoid (totally spell wrong) prptectors in your gloves.

A small ceramic/plastic slider on the pad of your palm at the base of your thumb.

When you put your hand down to catch yourself by instinct the huge fkrces snap your wrist as it sticks tk the floor.

The slider makes the palm slide away snd you just splat down and slide along safety (well safe inside your leathers without the leathers you slide to a grisly death)

Back
Top Bottom